Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Hayfever. HELP ME!

As in the last few years, hayfever has decided to destroy me. I have always had dogs and cats, lived in rural areas and don't know of any allergies other than this.

I have a half dozen or so different pills, nasal sprays, eyedrops, prescription antihistamine Lorafix/loratide/Telfast etc... etc..

Nothing works other than laying down flat and ultimately sleeping it off. Why...WHY WHHHHHY? I can't/shouldn't drive, can't cook. Its shit. What can I do?

2. Post
    I have to cycle my antihistamine meds every year. I can't take the same one I took last year as they wont work.

Last one I used that worked really well was Fexaclear (Fexafenadrine Hydrochloride). These are some big boy pills. Because it had been a couple of years since I used Cetrizine Hydrochorlide I tried it again this year and it's working really well again.

Try an antihistamine with an active ingredient you've never had before, you might find some luck.

3. Post
    Username checks out.

4. Post

5. Post
    Move to Australia.

6. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    Move to Australia.
    Not an insane idea, people have a tendency to develop allergies to the plants/pollens that grow locally and moving countries (or climates) can make a big difference

7. Post
    you could always get a steroid shot or pills if it is that bad.

8. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Not an insane idea, people have a tendency to develop allergies to the plants/pollens that grow locally and moving countries (or climates) can make a big difference
    I was there for a little over a week and noticed a marked improvement in the hay area.

9. Post
    I used to get it same time every year when I was younger but somehow I grew out of it.

10. Post
    Rii wrote:
    I have to cycle my antihistamine meds every year. I can't take the same one I took last year as they wont work.

Last one I used that worked really well was Fexaclear (Fexafenadrine Hydrochloride). These are some big boy pills. Because it had been a couple of years since I used Cetrizine Hydrochorlide I tried it again this year and it's working really well again.

Try an antihistamine with an active ingredient you've never had before, you might find some luck.
    I get this a bit, I swap between Cetirizine and Loratadine probably every week or two over November-Feb. They seem to lose efficacy after a couple of weeks so that's when I swap.

Edit: just remembered a steroidal nasal spray I got over the counter at a pharmacy last season. It worked even better than my usual generic Cetirizine and Loratadine pills.

11. Post
    I'm getting wrecked by hayfever too, congested and sneezing heaps.

Was weird had no hayfever, went to Mangawhai for the weekened, got hayfever, came back to Auckland and still have it.

12. Post
    Mine has got better as I've got older, but it's still annoying. Nasal spray works a treat. Pills do nothing for me.

Use some nasal spray before you go outside instead of when you start having symptoms.

13. Post
    Get one of these for your room: https://www.dicksmith.co.nz/dn/buy/b...-lr200-beurer/

Then shut the door. Doesn't help with outside, but for inside it's great.

14. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    Yeah, you can get an injection of something if you're really ****ed up.

15. Post
    Im in a similar situation, changing pills helps, just be aware that some cancel out others effectiveness.
    What is this injection?

16. Post
    +1 cetrizine, aka Zetop or Zista is usually pretty decent.
    wearing a mask is also not a bad idea to help filter the pollens/dust etc

17. Post
    getting a good night's sleep works very well for me.

if i don't get enough sleep, doesn't even help if i down 3 different pills.

if i take 1 pill then sleep for solid 7-8 hours then i don't really have any issues.

18. Post
    Try something with Promethazine in it. I'd recommend 10mg pills for morning and 20's for night. A 20 in the morning has a high chance of making your day a chore.

19. Post
    focus wrote:
    +1 cetrizine, aka Zetop or Zista is usually pretty decent.
    wearing a mask is also not a bad idea to help filter the pollens/dust etc
    Zista gives me flu like symptoms, aching body, tiredness.

20. Post
    Daynger wrote:
    Im in a similar situation, changing pills helps, just be aware that some cancel out others effectiveness.
    What is this injection?
    you get a steroid injection as it reduces the effects of hay fever over 2-3 months

21. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    +1 for the steroid options, made a huge difference for me as others have said often a brand became ineffective or others I had issues with drowsiness which is no good for my job.

22. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    Move to Australia.
    Since I moved to Aussie ~12 years ago, I've had way more skin problems/allergies etc. than I ever had in NZ. Every time I go back to NZ, everything clears up.

I guess the reverse could be true too.

23. Post
    Mine has been terrible so far this season as well. Not so much runny noses but very itchy eyes and a slight cough. It's quite different.
    Sometimes I just say f-it and take a Phenergan, but I get a bit of a hangover from it the next day.

My day to day is Loratadine (2x, then more later in the day if I need it), and if I was good and remembered to take flixonase nasal spray every day I would probably be better off.

24. Post
    Mines kinda subsided, less sneezing and congestion has all but gone

25. Post
    Each person tends to be different, just have to try different ones to find out what works best for you, for me it's Zista tablets.