Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    How does the performance of those CPUs compare to specialized ASICs or the likes of Octeons?

2. Post
    I linked benchmarks for OpenVPN/Wireguard in the earlier post; feel free to compare. As it is I get line rates in everything I'm using it for on a home network (including Wireguard to a couple of upstream spots) so it's plenty fast for me (and as an added bonus, has no fans).

3. Post
    Why does IPSec decrypt need to happen on the router? A decent NIC + Linux could achieve that if you know what you're doing, i.e. your outbound connection speed should be exactly what the NIC can provide doing 1Gbps/100/10 or whatever. This seems like a niche situation but should be possible if you can navigate networking in linux.

Admittedly I don't have experience configuring this but theoretically should be possible.

I do agree that recommending Ubiquiti for every use case is bad, however for the price tier and feature capacity it is ok for consumer level networking.

4. Post
    This seems like a niche situation but should be possible if you can navigate networking in linux.
    I'd argue that it's becoming less and less niche, VPNs are becoming more popular as more people are getting interested in US Netflix and you might see another jump in interest when Disney+ comes here as well. I agree the product isn't bad if you just want basic networking features but it shouldn't have been recommended here.

In any case, with the dumb TVs I have, I've decided to go with nVidia shields. It's definitely a costlier solution but I was going to need them anyway and the one I have already set up gets about 30-40mbps from NordVPN through the official app, which is decent enough and it's far easier for others to use.

The other annoying thing is, I did have a Pi lying around from ages ago but nobody in the other thread where I initially asked even suggested that it could be used instead of buying the ubiquiti gear . The impression I got from that thread was that OpenVPN and IPSec required a router to work - lesson learned there.

5. Post
    it's definitely niche tbh.

it seems ridiculous to use a full fat VPN when www.dns4me.net still works fine for TVs (and gives unlimited 7 day trials)

6. Post
    You might want to check out the UDM (Unifi Dream Machine). It just released this week and is essentially a USG (unified security gateway), managed switch, nanoHD + cloudkey all in one, and it integrates with the rest of the Unifi range such as connecting up more AP's & switches.

It does about ~50Mbps for IPSec VPN with the offload module loaded

https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-dream-machine
    https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/artic...te-to-Site-VPN