Results 1 to 19 of 19

  1. Post
    #1

    CPU air coolers on a GPU?

    Didn't know this was a thing, but it seems to work very well if you have the space inside your case.

    Linus managed to cut 20c off temps and reduced fan speed from 3000rpm to 900rpm.


  2. Post
    #2
    Or if you roll with a blower card go with something like the Arctic Accelero xtreme lol


  3. Post
    #3
    I've been thinking of doing this for ages, I wonder if the ariflow from the horizontal fans would be enough across the VRMs

  4. Post
    #4
    Yeah you'd need some decent airflow around the VRM / memory chips. If swapping on a CPU cooler i'd go the way of Kraken bracket + AIO.

  5. Post
    #5
    Yeah that was my first thought when I saw that video - why not use an AIO? Of which there are quite a few vids on YT that have done it.

    Cooling the VRMs is the hard part... Linus just casually machines a custom heatsink...

  6. Post
    #6
    pyronical wrote:
    Yeah that was my first thought when I saw that video - why not use an AIO? Of which there are quite a few vids on YT that have done it.

    Cooling the VRMs is the hard part... Linus just casually machines a custom heatsink...
    I guess the idea of the video was to get a superb reduction in noise and temperature while not breaking the bank. CPU AIO's tend to cost a fair bit more than CPU air coolers.

    VRM and Memory heatsinks are not hard to find https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vrm+heats...f=nb_sb_noss_2
    Last edited by SirGrim; 11th November 2019 at 7:51 am.

  7. Post
    #7
    $150 or so for that cooler, but I guess if cost is the main reason you could try your luck with a smaller cheaper one. Can't see cheap air coolers coping though. Imagine cracking the die fitting that huge cooler.

  8. Post
    #8
    Fragluton wrote:
    $150 or so for that cooler, but I guess if cost is the main reason you could try your luck with a smaller cheaper one. Can't see cheap air coolers coping though. Imagine cracking the die fitting that huge cooler.
    I dont see why they wouldn't be better than a cheap AIO. My Corsair H55 got my overclocked 390x down to max 55 degrees under full load in summer, and my current air cooler (Cryorig H7 Plus) is even better than that. Its the size thats the limit for me, Im not sure I can even fit a 92mm air cooler in my case under my card.

  9. Post
    #9
    I guess it depends on your video card too as to how much more you'd be willing to spend on it.

    Kind of a nice idea though, I mean buy something like this https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/495387 - recover the GST on your way home, sell the code for that PoS game. Basically pick up a 2080Ti for $1500 then mod it with a 240mm AIO rad. Would be a beast.

  10. Post
    #10
    pyronical wrote:
    Linus just casually machines a custom heatsink...
    I thought it was simply drilling new holes in the mounting bracket?

  11. Post
    #11
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    I thought it was simply drilling new holes in the mounting bracket?
    Nah he did that too, but he had a custom heatsink made for the VRMs.

  12. Post
    #12
    pyronical wrote:
    Nah he did that too, but he had a custom heatsink made for the VRMs.
    Oh yeah forgot about those.
    Wonder if it was just an extrusion that he just cut to size.

  13. Post
    #13
    pyronical wrote:
    Nah he did that too, but he had a custom heatsink made for the VRMs.
    Its not that hard, I did it for my 390x, I just bought a heatsink off of aliexpress/ebay whatever and cut it to size with a dremel, then used thermal pads underneath it and bolted it to the board through the cooler screw holes.

  14. Post
    #14
    Huge heatsink dissipates huge heat.

    News at 11.

    I'd probably go AIO CPU cooler, my H50 was like $60-70 and you can do what blowers do, dump the heat outside the case.

  15. Post
    #15
    suntoucher wrote:
    Huge heatsink dissipates huge heat.

    News at 11.

    I'd probably go AIO CPU cooler, my H50 was like $60-70 and you can do what blowers do, dump the heat outside the case.
    To be fair, id buy a graphics card if it came preinstalled with a huge (not that huge) heatsink that made the card say 4 slots thick, and had its fans oritentated to blow air out the case like a CPU cooler.

  16. Post
    #16
    Ballistica wrote:
    To be fair, id buy ai would have chosen an alternative version of my graphics card if it came preinstalled with a huge (not that huge) heatsink that made the card say 4 slots thick, and had its fans oritentated to blow air out the case like a CPU cooler.
    ftfy because they did something that would achieve that end but no one bought it
    Name:  R9_FuryX_Cooler_Straighton_4c_10inch_575px.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  32.9 KB

    10 No one wants experiments because they price them significantly higher
    20 They price them significantly higher because no one wants experiments
    30 Goto 10

  17. Post
    #17
    suntoucher wrote:
    ftfy because they did something that would achieve that end but no one bought it
    Name:  R9_FuryX_Cooler_Straighton_4c_10inch_575px.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  32.9 KB

    10 No one wants experiments because they price them significantly higher
    20 They price them significantly higher because no one wants experiments
    30 Goto 10
    Sure, but it seems to me that its the opposite end of getting those mITX cards, and a better idea than the already available THICC cards as the fans will be orientated the right way.

    Im not sure what you are implying about the graphics card that comes with the AIO preinstalled, I already have one of those and they are fairly popular, popular enough to release one for each generation of cards (see EVGA hybrid for example)

  18. Post
    #18
    Ballistica wrote:
    Sure, but it seems to me that its the opposite end of getting those mITX cards, and a better idea than the already available THICC cards as the fans will be orientated the right way.

    Im not sure what you are implying about the graphics card that comes with the AIO preinstalled, I already have one of those and they are fairly popular, popular enough to release one for each generation of cards (see EVGA hybrid for example)
    Popular? Or it's something they make to fill out the product stack?

    I'd be surprised if they're popular, if they were popular all of the brands would be filling out the lineup and they probably wouldn't come at a significant markup.

    If you've got one of those, why would you rather have a huge four slot dealio?

  19. Post
    #19
    If you've got one of those, why would you rather have a huge four slot dealio?[/QUOTE]

    Because in general, my CPU cooler is actually more effective than my AIO is, and secondly I'm a bit mad with optimising space to the max. I have a small case that has four slots, with the top half having a direct air route. intake fan - dual fan CPU cooler - exhaust fan. Whereas the bottom half is intake - empty space - gpu horizontal fans which disperse heat inside the case - no exhaust. I'd love for it to follow a similar direct path idea to the top.