GTA Online Adds Controversial Casino

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Results 1 to 19 of 19

  1. Post
    #1

    GTA Online Adds Controversial Casino

    https://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...rt-is-Now-Open

    As of yesterday. GTA Online now has a virtual casino. In a mode that uses real money. There's now actual gambling in a AAA video game. No more loot boxes, no more micro-transactions, there is actual gambling in a AAA video game. What are your thoughts on this? Are you surprised it took this long? Personally i'm not surprised Rockstar was the 1st. Considering how much they try to monetize shark cards.

    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49084726

    Some players reported that while they could walk around the casino area, the gambling tables were blocked in their country where gambling is illegal.

    Gamers had mixed reactions to the discovery that gambling chips can be purchased with real cash.

    Popular British streamer Broughy1322, who was showcasing the new content on Twitch said: "They've done it, I can't believe they've done it," after finding that in-game dollars can be exchanged directly for chips.

    "They've gone over the line of what they would, and it's a big problem that they allow you to buy chips with real money, frankly," he added later as viewers debated the system.

    Ahead of the launch, it was not clear if such an exchange would be possible.

  2. Post
    #2
    Valeyard wrote:
    there is actual gambling in a AAA video game.

    What are your thoughts on this? Are you surprised it took this long?
    I do not see this as anything new - I am not defending this practice and I don't care for it - but a rather important distinction to make is that -

    bbc news wrote:
    But the fact that in-game gambling winnings cannot easily be converted back into real-world cash may be a key distinction for regulators.

    The UK gambling watchdog told MPs on Monday that it does not oversee the purchase of in-game content - like video game loot boxes - because there is no official way to monetise the winnings.
    given this I don't really see the difference between this and lootboxes etc apart from the GTA representation being that of conventional gambling, paying out in GTA bucks rather then cards or crystals etc etc.

    Personally I have no interest in gambling - real or virtual and especially not for GTA online $, but what you do with your money is up to you.

  3. Post
    #3
    The GTA series have long been known for satirising pretty much anything they think they can. This is like going so far down the chain that you become that in which you satire.

  4. Post
    #4
    So a rake/edge would be taken by the server, or Rockstar?

    I think all GTA 5 online play is done on custom servers, I'm a little confused as to where the money would go?

    Also, RE custom servers, admins and programmers can augment just about anything on the GTA 5 custom servers(?)

    I think it would be easy for a custom server admin/dev to decide when a certain player wins a certain hand of blackjack(?)

  5. Post
    #5
    Such a shame what Rockstar have become I look forward to their downfall.

  6. Post
    #6
    this dlc has been banned in over 50 countries for illegal gambling

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidth.../#69dd9b7a1757

  7. Post
    #7
    I re-installed the game to see what all the fuss was about, So far its been very over rated.

  8. Post
    #8
    BattleCrap wrote:
    So a rake/edge would be taken by the server, or Rockstar?

    I think all GTA 5 online play is done on custom servers, I'm a little confused as to where the money would go?

    Also, RE custom servers, admins and programmers can augment just about anything on the GTA 5 custom servers(?)

    I think it would be easy for a custom server admin/dev to decide when a certain player wins a certain hand of blackjack(?)
    The money involved in this, is people buying "Shark Cards" which translate to in-game money topups. So you can buy like 8 million dollars for $125 NZD, then go gamble it all away at the online casino. When you lose money in the game to the casino, it just goes nowhere, Rockstar don't "gain" the money you lose, they make their money off you buying the top up cards.

    In the same vein, they've made it very hard to make any decent amount of money in the game unless you put in the hours, they're essentially counting on people to cbf it and just buy the top up card.

    There are no custom servers, its all public lobbies hosted by Rockstar themselves. They've also locked some of the content behind gambling, so people could be buying top up cards and hoping to win some stuff to collect it. Its just sleazy and imo ruined the GTA franchise for me, it was ruined a long time ago when they started pumping out free DLC pretending to be the good guys but making it a huge online grindfest.

  9. Post
    #9
    arr wrote:
    Such a shame what Rockstar have become I look forward to their downfall.
    What about the hard working employers?

  10. Post
    #10
    Rockstar has zero self awareness or shame at this point. Jim Sterling's channel has been a joy to watch lately.

  11. Post
    #11
    jords wrote:
    What about the hard working employers?
    Lol

  12. Post
    #12
    Ramza wrote:
    Rockstar has zero self awareness or shame at this point. Jim Sterling's channel has been a joy to watch lately.
    Yep Rockstar have fallen from grace big time over the years. They were once considered gods & saviours of the gaming industry. Remember the catch phrase "In Rockstar We Trust"? lol. Probably more the fault of greedy ass Take Two but still R* have definitely lost their god tier status to CDPR.

  13. Post
    #13
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Yep Rockstar have fallen from grace big time over the years. They were once considered gods & saviours of the gaming industry. Remember the catch phrase "In Rockstar We Trust"? lol. Probably more the fault of greedy ass Take Two but still R* have definitely lost their god tier status to CDPR.
    Really hope Cyberpunk is good..

  14. Post
    #14
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Yep Rockstar have fallen from grace big time over the years. They were once considered gods & saviours of the gaming industry. Remember the catch phrase "In Rockstar We Trust"? lol. Probably more the fault of greedy ass Take Two but still R* have definitely lost their god tier status to CDPR.
    Yeah, CDPR is definitely one of the most trusted developers out there right now, Larian is also worth mention, after their DOS 2 success. Pretty sure I've seen people commenting 'In Larian we trust' on their BG 3 announcement video, didn't even know this was also said about Rockstar sometime ago, lol

  15. Post
    #15
    Shame rockstar doesn't give a **** about cheaters in their game.

    It's a fun game but the amount of people cheating online is a ****ing joke.

  16. Post
    #16
    glad i got my GTA online fix on the original ps3 version.

  17. Post
    #17
    JRS wrote:
    glad i got my GTA online fix on the original ps3 version.
    Hell yeah it was a blast. I miss the GP Mafia days

  18. Post
    #18
    Yeah GP MAFIA days when we got on front page of Kotuku was it brawling with cars on top of the sky scraper having to be choppered up there haha

  19. Post
    #19
    slipstream wrote:
    Yeah GP MAFIA days when we got on front page of Kotuku was it brawling with cars on top of the sky scraper having to be choppered up there haha
    Haha hardout bro plus that video got half a million views on YT