1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Oh thank god Netflix aren't doing it.

3. Post
    What would be wrong with that?

Dad of Light was pretty cool imo.

4. Post
    Ramza wrote:
    See Netflix adaptation meme. Also their Witcher TV series to date sounds like it'll be a trainwreck.

EDIT: Oh dear, never mind. This is being worked on the same production company as the aforementioned Witcher and The Expanse.
    Hivemind Productions is known for their work on The Expanse and is currently hard at work on the upcoming Netflix series based on The Witcher series, which is said to debut by the end of this year.
    Readers of The Expanse book series say that the TV adaptation is fairly bad. I listened to a podcast last week where a panel spent well over an hour criticising the TV series (featuring popular critic Youtuber Mauler, Nerdrotic, Dishonoured Wolf).

5. Post
    Ramza wrote:

Dad of Light was pretty cool imo.
    There is nothing at all wrong with it. You'll get the same group you always do shit-talking Netflix because of a bullshit story about ethnic "recasting" in The Witcher that never actually happened that then spawned a meme about "forced social politics" or some other idiotic notion that not being exclusionary is a herald of the end time. Look at who's complaining about it across the internet and draw your own conclusions. The meme is utterly pathetic, even more so for being based on fiction. It's the flat-earther/anti-vaxxer argument of TV network conspiracies.

As for Eva's assertions. The Witcher TV show hasn't even finished production but it's apparently a "trainwreck". Note, no actual footage from the show has been released. Only some shonky behind the scenes stuff filmed by an extra showing of some admittedly rather shit looking armour. Mind you this series has nothing to do with the games, but instead is based on the books with input from the author. So it's likely to be divisive regardless of its eventual actual quality.

The Expanse is one of the highest rated shows EVER on SyFy (hate the name), is both critically lauded and loved by the viewing public. It has a 67 on metacritic based mostly on the first season which is the weakest of the 3 released so far. Season 4 is coming later this year. 67 is actually relatively high for a TV show. 8.7/10 from viewers. 8.4 on IMDb
    RT is rather glowing. Even the books author is a fan of the show, and has been involved in its production.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	expanse.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	226504
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	expanse2.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	226505
    It is also one of the most watched shows ever on the network. It does have a diverse cast (including a NZ/Samoan woman in a lead role as a kickass soldier... and you just know that triggered some folk) , and addresses complex social/political issues. But also viral aliens, accurate space physics, and some trippy shit. But right wing conservatives are as imaginative as they are open to social change so some of them like shit-talk the show. Note they are in the minority.

Note that the YouTube video is from an outrage merchant spewing the same "anti SJW" shit we've all heard before. Dudes shit-talking women, queer people, equality, and filled with sexist and homophobic language.

Disclaimer, I love The Expanse (books and show).
    Last edited by ChrisB; 28th June 2019 at 8:24 pm.

6. Post
    Every anime adaptation on Netflix is horrific. Netflix seems to have a thing for cel shading and it's ghastly. I know FF isn't anime but I would assume that Netflix would treat it the same.

Christ, shut the **** up, Chris. Go watch a movie or something.

7. Post
    Rii wrote:
    Every anime adaptation on Netflix is horrific. Netflix seems to have a thing for cel shading and it's ghastly. I know FF isn't anime but I would assume that Netflix would treat it the same.

Christ, shut the **** up, Chris. Go watch a movie or something.
    Nah. I'm good thanks. I'm not about to let lies and bullshit stand without providing something actually honest. Cheers.

8. Post
    Rii wrote:
    Over the years I've come to lower my standards for live-action adaptations of media I frequent often (mostly games and anime). Expecting disappointment and straying from the source material is a given, with this pre-disposition I've begun to enjoy them a lot more. I think the direction is taken due to how difficult it is to translate to screen. You can always take solace in the fact that it isn't as bad as what happened to the Resident Evil franchise.

I'm looking forward to this for these reasons, it has to be better than Kingsglaive or Final Fantasy Unlimited, right? A cynical view but a realistic one to enjoy it for what it is.

@Chris: You don't need to have a massive angry-at-the-world rant riddled with antagonistic content every time you post in here. It's really off-putting and community members don't want to participate when they see that shit from you in every thread they open.

9. Post
    Not angry. Just posting why Eva's assertions need to be questioned and pointing out (and providing evidence of) the reality of the things he called out.

Anyway. My biggest concern is how you produce anything live action that even comes close to looking even remotely FF. The budget would need to be astronomical! Between the settings, creatures, and fantasy/scifi elements it will require visual effects far in excess of anything I've seen on TV. GoT and Altered Carbon share some of this, but FF is on another level.

10. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    As for Eva's assertions. The Witcher TV show hasn't even finished production but it's apparently a "trainwreck". Note, no actual footage from the show has been released. Only some shonky behind the scenes stuff filmed by an extra showing of some admittedly rather shit looking armour. Mind you this series has nothing to do with the games, but instead is based on the books with input from the author. So it's likely to be divisive regardless of its eventual actual quality.
    Are you not unaware of the Netflix adaptation meme? It's specifically relates to their manga/anime-related productions. Eg Bleach, Death Note. I bought it up originally because Final Fantasy is tangentially related, being a Japanese game series. The expression that I've gotten from people who've I know who've played the FF XIV MMO is that lore and world building is pretty damn heavy.

The on-set leaks of the Nilfgaardian armour looked really naff. So did the advertising material that they released featuring Henry Cavill in makeup. Of course I'll watch the show when it comes out (which currently is rumoured for the coming January, last i heard.).
    Note that the YouTube video is from an outrage merchant spewing the same "anti SJW" shit we've all heard before. Dudes shit-talking women, queer people, equality, and filled with sexist and homophobic language.
    Right me you're being no different than a mainstream journalism hit-piece that smears the character of a target who rubs them the wrong way. Stop tarring and feathering everybody with the same brush and try approaching a topic with an eye for nuance. Everybody is an individual and IMO ideally should be approached as such.

Mauler's main thing is having writing that's logically sound and has consistency. From the many hours of listening to his EFAP podcast I don't think that he's ever brought up his personal politics.

If you watched the video you'd know that they don't bring up no cosmetic features of the cast or characters, their criticisms were almost entirely about the writing of the show and the quality of the adaptation.

Disclaimer, I love The Expanse (books and show).
    Two of the participants on that podcast panel are huge fans of the books too. Mauler himself had marathoned the current three seasons for the discussion.

11. Post
    "memes" lol