1. Post

Analyst predicts 20M people will abandon gaming PCs for consoles

Oh look another doom and gloom article about the future of PC gaming...

Don't look up, PC gamers, because the sky is falling (again). Right on cue, a new report by Jon Peddie Research (JPR) notes that the "PC market continues to decline," and though gaming has traditionally bucked this trend, the research firm forecasts that as many as 20 million PC gamers could defect to "TV gaming platforms," otherwise known as game consoles, within the next three years.

Excuse me while I avoid pressing the panic button. Before I mash the escape key, though, I'd like to talk about the report. There are some interesting nuggets contained within it, such as the prediction that the bulk of those defectors will come from low-end builds—ones that cost less than a grand. Why? JPR points to improvements in TV displays and console semiconductors, and console exclusive games.

This will also affect the ranks of the mid-range and high-end PC gaming populations, just to a lesser degree, according to the report.

"The PC market continues to decline because the innovation that took place in the past providing speed ups and clever new things has all but stopped, plus the product introduction times are stretching out to four years. This is not a panic situation and the GPU market still generates incredible volume. However, there are forces at work that we predict will drive some of this business toward TV displays and associated gaming services," Jon Peddie said in a statement.

Of course, this analysis ignores the fact that a PC can be connected to a TV. It's why Steam has a Big Picture mode, and let's not forget that Nvidia and its hardware partners are embracing—and not running from—the living room with BFGDs (big format gaming displays).
    https://www.pcgamer.com/analyst-pred...ing-platforms/

2. Post
    Its funny, now I have two pcs capable of playing modern games, one connected to a TV, the only console I've brought recently was the new MegaDrive to relive some nostalgia.

I miss out on a lot of Playstation exclusives I'd be interested in, but I dont have time to play them anyway.

Sounds like someone is trying to make "streaming gaming" services a thing still. Google, Microsoft, its too soon. Come back when I can get 2ms to Sydney.

3. Post
    Not I. Only console I have now are handhelds, but I still use my PC more.

4. Post
    To play devil's advocate, I kinda agree on his points about the mid to high end PC prices pushing people to consoles. Look at the 2080 and Radeon VII for example, these are graphics cards that were supposed to bring a price to performance benefit as compared to the now 2 year old 1080ti, instead they came out $100US worse. I can't actually think of another example of new graphics cards being eclipsed by 2 year old models in this manner.

In the meantime, games are starting to push the boundaries more and people with older builds who were waiting for the 1080ti true successor (I put myself in this category) are starting to see their PC start to chug but don't want to pay a premium for a graphics card that should've been beaten in price/performance a long time ago. I can definitely see some people shrug, go 'I CBF anymore' and buy a PS4 pro instead.

The other points he talked about are naff though.

5. Post
    ^ People are fools. You don't need the latest and greatest graphics cards. The game devs make a point of making their games work on hardware as old as they can to widen their customer base.

6. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    ^ People are fools. You don't need the latest and greatest graphics cards. The game devs make a point of making their games work on hardware as old as they can to widen their customer base.
    Even on the lower end though, they're still taking the piss. Look at the 1650 vs. the RX 570 for example. We're supposed to have better price/performance as the years go on, not worse.

Add to that the sheer amount of graphics cards that Nvidia has put out recently and it's never been a more confusing time to buy a PC. And this is before we even bring up Intel's marketing rubbish.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 28th April 2019 at 1:37 pm.

7. Post
    once enough time is passed to tell if this, or any other poorly informed "analysis" is incorrect everyone has forgotten about it. they could just make up any old shit and never get called on it. what a sham industry.

8. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    To play devil's advocate, I kinda agree on his points about the mid to high end PC prices pushing people to consoles. Look at the 2080 and Radeon VII for example, these are graphics cards that were supposed to bring a price to performance benefit as compared to the now 2 year old 1080ti, instead they came out $100US worse. I can't actually think of another example of new graphics cards being eclipsed by 2 year old models in this manner.
    Bollocks. It was a card for people with more money than sense, not those expecting value

9. Post
    Dicey wrote:
    Bollocks. It was a card for people with more money than sense, not those expecting value
    That was the 2080ti, not the 2080.

10. Post
    i blame bitcoin

11. Post
    I adore my PC, but I find myself playing more console games of late - mostly due to exclusives and controller love. I'll still build another gaming PC this year to superseed the much thrashed but still loved 3770K/980OC/SSHD/16GB combo comp that has served me so, so well...but I'm not in a massive hurry to do so due to current GPU costs etc.

Some things that keep knocking me towards my PS4Pro/X1S/Switch:

Multiplayer games: Most people I play with are on PSN, so it's a gimme I'll choose the Sony version.
    Exclusives: With the consoles (especially Nintendo and PS4...Xbox ones, can do the PC version).
    Backwards compatibility is also really good of late..playing KOTOR with the proper Xbox controller prompts on my X1S...priceless (vs mapped, no mod for it sadly).

Raytracing and such being as it is, think I'll grab whatever the best GPU is at the end of the year when building my comp, and run with it - keep waiting for the next big thing for my PC upgrade, and have been saying that for like...2 years now, but my old beast keeps being fine for everything - and I bought it (sans the GPU, which I got for Witcher 3) in 2013!!

12. Post
    Even if this analyst is right, PC's are like vinyl records; they will never die out, there will always be a hardcore enthusiast element keeping them alive. And of course there will always be business PC's that people can mod (in the same way that mods occur in car culture).

13. Post
    IST wrote:
    my old beast keeps being fine for everything - and I bought it (sans the GPU, which I got for Witcher 3) in 2013!!
    Ditto - 3570k, started with 2x 680's and moved to one 980ti. I can still play most games on high settings at 1440p.

I'm 50/50 between the PC and my PS4pro these days. Will probably look at updating the PC when next console gen begins.

14. Post
    Still PC all the way here. Can't play exclusive titles but games like GTA V and Witcher 3 + Xbox 360 Controller are SO much better on PC.

Also, FPS games will always be king on PC - until mouse+keyboard is a default inclusion with consoles.

15. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Even if this analyst is right, PC's are like vinyl records; they will never die out, there will always be a hardcore enthusiast element keeping them alive. And of course there will always be business PC's that people can mod (in the same way that mods occur in car culture).
    This is the exact argument I had (with Eva - surprise surprise) too over in the thread about MS Download only XB1. There is too much of a culture out there to want to keep certain things like downloads and physical copies alive so that they can be modified, collected, etc. Going to a downloadable only platform, and even further fully streaming only, also dilutes the points of even having gaming platforms from a PC.

Look at say console companies eventually going fully streaming in years to come - the device you do it through is just connected to a data bank of computers running likely the same game on any platform it appears on. Then the line between PC and console is gone entirely. They're all basically the PC game and they're all basically the console game at the same time. It'll come entirely down to platform exclusivity only.

The other risk is the same thing happening with Netflix right now, everyone wants their slice of the pie when they're already making content. So all of a sudden your platforms like Steam and Epic Store are joined by people carving out their own unique fronts and streaming devices to maximize their profits and so it's less about platforms than it is product when it's all downloadable/streaming. It's not like companies like EA and Ubisoft haven't tried before, and companies like Google and Amazon moving into the game spaces are trying to make moves to challenge both PC and Console gaming platforms.

Say what you will about the analysts predictions specifically here, but there is clearly going to be a major change in gaming again over the next decade because of these sorts of things like there has been to Movies/TV in the past decade.

16. Post
    If there's anything that might kill PC gaming, it'll be the death of x86 architecture. That will kill A LOT of legacy software support. ARM CPUs are what drives the majority of mobile phones because they're low powered. Obviously less power used = more potential battery life.

Even then the most popular mobile OS in the world is an open platform, Android. As long as we have open platforms the spirit of PC gaming will continue.

I love Android. I can play many of my spreadsheet simulator games on PC and then turn around and use my saves on 1:1 Android ports of said games distributed on the likes of Itch.io.

17. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    I love Android. I can play many of my spreadsheet simulator games on PC and then turn around and use my saves on 1:1 Android ports of said games distributed on the likes of Itch.io.
    Which Android emulator do you use? I'm using Nox and it's great so far

18. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    If there's anything that might kill PC gaming, it'll be the death of x86 architecture. That will kill A LOT of legacy software support. ARM CPUs are what drives the majority of mobile phones because they're low powered. Obviously less power used = more potential battery life.
    so the death of PCs will be the death of PC gaming. who knew

19. Post
    We've had controllers for a few years, but they never get taken out any more because honestly they're pretty awkward for most games. It takes the fun out of it. Also you'd miss the majority of exclusives without a PC. I think the article is referring to those 3rd person button mashers which weren't really for the PC audience in the first place.

20. Post
    WhangaDan wrote:
    Which Android emulator do you use? I'm using Nox and it's great so far
    I use my phone, not an emulator.

21. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:

Even then the most popular mobile OS in the world is an open platform, Android. As long as we have open platforms the spirit of PC gaming will continue.

Desktop-mobile convergence is a long way off, Samsung's DeX doesn't even come close, Ubuntu Edge is dead in the water and PureOS is just a proof-of-concept. x86 aint going anywhere for a long while.

22. Post
    This guys just guessing. Don't let his fancy title fool you.