1. Post

cost of getting Ethernet connections with fiber install?

Fiber is coming to my area soon, and I wonder what are peoples experiences with getting extra wiring done. I would need at least 1 port in a bedroom.

2. Post
    Is it your house? What area?

3. Post
    Yes, Manukau

4. Post
    Data cabling with fibre install? Are you hoping Chorus can do it

5. Post
    GenericUSERNAME wrote:
    Data cabling with fibre install? Are you hoping Chorus can do it
    yes

or what are the options

6. Post
    As far as I’m aware Chorus won’t do it, you will need to talk to an electrician about a wiring plan and preferably one with data cabling experience as some are straight out cowboys.

Or you could do it yourself if you can be ar5ed.

You need to work out where the most likely ETP will be and where you want/can have the ONT, chorus will scope this once your order is in but may pay for you to forward think that part beforehand so you can get an idea on where you’re data cabling is going to run back to.

Personally I would go with a patch panel if you’re doing multiple rooms and have everything terminate back to a centralised spot.

Things to think about are Network switches and even an AP for wifi if needed and even future proofing (do it right the first time)

7. Post
    Do we have a new "Shittiest thread on GP", I think so.

Seriously though, just run a cable yourself, not even that hard. Any sparky will be able to run a cable.

8. Post
    i got a 30m cable running from the ont/modem to my pc lol

9. Post
    GenericUSERNAME wrote:
    As far as I’m aware Chorus won’t do it, you will need to talk to an electrician about a wiring plan and preferably one with data cabling experience as some are straight out cowboys.

Or you could do it yourself if you can be ar5ed.

You need to work out where the most likely ETP will be and where you want/can have the ONT, chorus will scope this once your order is in but may pay for you to forward think that part beforehand so you can get an idea on where you’re data cabling is going to run back to.

Personally I would go with a patch panel if you’re doing multiple rooms and have everything terminate back to a centralised spot.

Things to think about are Network switches and even an AP for wifi if needed and even future proofing (do it right the first time)
    hmm ok thanks

Fragluton wrote:
    Do we have a new "Shittiest thread on GP", I think so.

Seriously though, just run a cable yourself, not even that hard. Any sparky will be able to run a cable.
    man you are butthurt, get some ointment or something

popopop wrote:
    i got a 30m cable running from the ont/modem to my pc lol
    haha yea thats what I was trying to avoid

10. Post
    Chorus subbies may be able to do the job, best to just call chorus and ask.

11. Post
    I have fibre to my garage, which Chorus then ran to the Kitchen at the centre of the house.
    Then i took out the old un-used phone line and socket, put a whisker socket on and ran a cable up the wall into my wardrobe where i have a switch which then spilts it to my PC, and then back into the ceiling and down a wall to the lounge for the HTPC. Also have another cable to the garage for when(if) i get my 2U server running.