1. Post
    Are we really going to be running two Ashes threads... come on bg.

2. Post
    Baggy is an Aussie & a big supporter of his team so would've thought his thread would be ideal to post in for the Ashes series ?

3. Post
    BaggyGreens wrote:
    You going to watch the Ashes?
    Only got to see part of the lst session on day one, from what I saw looked very difficult to bat on, there was a lot of movement off the pitch... when the Aussies play against the poms in any sport will always support the Aussies.

4. Post
    There are no sufficient superlatives to describe Steve Smith. When I went to bed well into the last session he was on 70.. having dragged us out of the mire with help from Sids. He musta then led a brutal assault on a tiring attack to finish unconconqued on almost 150. That knock shud move him back to #1 on rankings and keep him there. The man is a phenomenon.

5. Post
    signman wrote:
    Baggy is an Aussie & a big supporter of his team so would've thought his thread would be ideal to post in for the Ashes series ?
    Is there another Ashes thread signman? Mate I am only too happy to contribute to the other. tell your mate that.

6. Post
    signman wrote:
    Only got to see part of the lst session on day one, from what I saw looked very difficult to bat on, there was a lot of movement off the pitch... when the Aussies play against the poms in any sport will always support the Aussies.
    The Dukes made it a difficult track. Plus the Pommie bowlers were disciplined and put it in good areas. There was very little swing.. surprising due to the typical overcast.. but it did nibble off the seam all day. For Smith to get a ton on that deck speaks volumes for his determination and abundant mental stamina. Pommies missed Anderson. Talk he cud miss the series.

7. Post
    Yeah, the poms bowled in very good areas making the most of the pitch conditions from what I saw of the 1st session on the first day.

Was a top innings from Smith... when batting his mannerisms between balls are hilarious, also the second he got bowled he sprinted off the ground

8. Post
    signman wrote:
    Yeah, the poms bowled in very good areas making the most of the pitch conditions from what I saw of the 1st session on the first day.

Was a top innings from Smith... when batting his mannerisms between balls are hilarious, also the second he got bowled he sprinted off the ground
    The other thing with this magician is when he tries to collar an attack such as he did yesterday to get us to almost 300 from a calamitous 8-120something. Scoring quickly for him goes against his grain. He loses shape.. but because he has such incredible hand/eye co-ordination he usually finds the boundary. Is there anyone else in international cricket that plays a forehand smash to a short ball. Hilarious.
    Last edited by BaggyGreens; 3rd August 2019 at 12:01 pm.

9. Post
    He certainly has a very unusual technique/style, but works for him brilliantly & that what counts.

10. Post
    Well signman my Kiwi mate where do the Aussies go from here. Can we win or even get close? I say yes providing more than one batsman stays with Smithy. We have to give England at least 200 to win it.

11. Post
    Really top come back by your blokes Baggy... pretty near impossible for the poms to score about 130 per session on the last day, poms are really in survival mode, if the Aussies can consistently bowl in good areas & field well the squeeze will really go them, hopefully mate you can knock them over in a couple of sessions.

12. Post
    signman wrote:
    Really top come back by your blokes Baggy... pretty near impossible for the poms to score about 130 per session on the last day, poms are really in survival mode, if the Aussies can consistently bowl in good areas & field well the squeeze will really go them, hopefully mate you can knock them over in a couple of sessions.
    I dreaded looking at the scorecard when I woke. Was expecting to see a collapse after Smithy went. Not so.. joy that we had batted ourselves into an almost impregnable position. Proud of the boys. Now we have to cement the issue with a win. Wont be easy as there is nothing for the quicks. They need to bowl with discipline and sense. while the spinners wile away at the other end. Can Lyon bowl us to a rare victory. I expect Smith to bowl too. Gives the ball a Warne-like tweak.
    Last edited by BaggyGreens; 5th August 2019 at 4:04 pm.

13. Post
    Oh Yes Baggy Greens. What a win!!! Blew those Pommies off the park.
    Last edited by BaggyGreens; 7th August 2019 at 10:51 am.

14. Post
    Tim Paine (c), Cameron Bancroft, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitchell Marsh, Michael Neser, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade.

This is the likely squad to play Worcestershire in tonite's tour game. I expect this is simply academic as CA is unlikely to change a winning team. Exceptional performances can put pressure on for places in the Third Test tho.

15. Post
    Yeah, Aussie will probably go with the same 11, particularly with the big win they had, your bowling attack looks well balanced.

16. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    You have no skills nor no business in playing swing. Stick to roads. Lakmal will destroy you.
    I'd rather you refer to the team (Aus) than a particular forum member when you're roasting Australian cricket. I know you both aren't bothered by it but it's pretty ugly to read.

-QE (Supreme leader of the Cricket forum)

17. Post
    Travis Head continues to add substance to his batting with a composed ton in the tour game. Khawaja and Harris the others to score meaningful runs. Hazlewood is the pick of the quicks.. Having the figures of 3-16 off 7 overs at one stage. The tall seamer is firming to be the next cab off the rank into our attack.

18. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    I'd rather you refer to the team (Aus) than a particular forum member when you're roasting Australian cricket. I know you both aren't bothered by it but it's pretty ugly to read.

-QE (Supreme leader of the Cricket forum)
    Lol. In case you're not aware, "you" has a plural form - which is definitely the use I was using for addressing Australian Cricket. Baggers is a lil long in the tooth to be personally taking guard as a player in a test match any day soon. :P

Baggers and I have known each other for years QE, spanning no less than 4 forums for cricket and one very strange media (tv, film, music etc) forum he invited me to. We're more than fine and it won't get ugly.
    Last edited by Paddles; 9th August 2019 at 4:15 pm.

19. Post
    Baggy - talking about batsmen like Steve Smith that have pretty unusual technique at times NZer Andrew Jones was definitely one of those, he played in a lot of tests with the great Martin Crowe, Jones use to be 1st-drop & was able to hit a 4 while both feet were off the ground, that would have to take real strength too in the wrists & forearms as you don't have the stability of anchoring your feet on the ground.

20. Post
    Still no word on the composition of our X1. Why the bloody secret with the game due to start in five minutes.. But it wont as the crappy Pommie weather will have the final say. To look at the London radar we will be lucky to get any play.
    Last edited by BaggyGreens; 14th August 2019 at 9:47 pm.

21. Post
    Aussies in a solid position after day two at Lords. Led by the recalled Josh Hazlewood the Aussie attack rolled the Pommies for 258 on a flat deck.. At stumps it is 1-30. Warner continues to struggle against the moving Dukes.
    Last edited by BaggyGreens; 16th August 2019 at 12:58 pm.

22. Post
    I got waylaid posting here toward the backend of the Ashes. We retained the little urn but failed at the final hurdle to win it. Still proud of the boys.. tho some with the bat were diabolical.

23. Post
    A new series now with Pakistan touring for a two tester followed by the Black Caps who are always welcome in Oz.

First Tests starts on Thursday at the Gabba and Waqar is talking up his side.. specially his squad of young quicks. They even have a baby in their attack.. not yet 17. Surely he will be out of his depth being picked so young at this level.. in unfamiliar conditions against one of the worlds best sides. There is no room for the faint hearted in Test cricket.. no room for boys who wannee be men. You can be betting Australia will not be treating this boy with kid gloves.

24. Post
    Will be really intriguing to see how the young fella goes Baggy... Tendulkar was a similar age when he played his 1st test for India, they were pretty smart to play him down the order in the early stages of his career to try & take a fair bit of pressure off him.

Our test against the poms is played at the same time so will be flicking back & forth between both tests.

25. Post
    signman the kid has done ok. As the quickest in their attack he is enjoying the extra pace and bounce of the Gabba. But his good.,. like his partners is not proving good enuff as the Aussies are racing away with this game. They just lost their first wicket of the day.. Joe Burns for a unlucky 97.. Dave Warner already has tonned up. At present the Baggy Greens are 1-228 midway thru the last session.

Stumps: 1-312.
    Last edited by BaggyGreens; 22nd November 2019 at 7:32 pm.