1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Peach Cobbler

3. Post
    Awesome news! Loved me some L4D.

4. Post
    Awesome news. When it comes to co-op, L4D 1 & 2 are second to none.

5. Post
    They'll probably kill this game before it's even out by forcing Epic Store exclusivity. No pub population = the kiss of death for MP centric games.

What better way for Epic to stick it to Valve than to write a big fat cheque to the developer working on the spiritual successor to one of Valve's own games?

6. Post
    Welcome to the future grandpa, multiple programs on PC offering some exclusive titles. CS1.6 did just fine on Steam even though Steam was unpopular at the time. Just ask for cross-platform play to play with some console players, it's the future.

7. Post
    You act like games being exclusive to particular launchers hasn't been a thing since at least 2004. Nice try at your "checkmate, atheist" move.
    Amusing to know you're still butthurt by my post from several days ago. I live rent free in your head.

My point was that Turtle Rock would be sabotaging their game's legs long term just for some easy cash up front by taking a bribe from Epic. Think Capcom and Squeenix taking Xbox timed exclusivity for Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dead Rising 4, ignoring the largest console platform, CensorStation 4, for cheques from MS.

I don't really give a shit at the end of the day, since I largely don't play MP games. Installing another launcher on PC is no big deal. I still get all of the benefits of PC with none of the console cuckoldry like paid online play, limited input devices, no control over graphical options.

8. Post
    Say what you will. Its just another launcher like you said in having competition on PC is a good thing instead of every big AAA title having to be released on Steam to please some people. A lot of people hated Steam when it first launched saying CS1.6 / HL2 / CS:S will fail because of it being released only on Steam but look at Steam and those games still are being played to this day.

Dead Rising 4 was a good enough deal for MS just wasn't a good game. TR was of course going to get a massive amount of hate having exclusivity. Still can't really blame SE, a lot of publishers and developers, even customers, thought before the reveal of the consoles that MS would of dominated this generation of consoles.

The Division doesn't even need that many players to get a full server, you'll have no trouble playing with others even if its exclusive to a different store front, plenty of gamers on PC. Would be stupid to boycott the game just because its not on Steam. Just be glad its not exclusive to MS store where you'd actually need Windows 10 plus updated to the latest version, to play the damn thing.

9. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    Say what you will. Its just another launcher like you said in having competition on PC is a good thing instead of every big AAA title having to be released on Steam to please some people.
    Personally I think that every game should be on every launcher, to give the consumer optimal choice. Epic aren't competing organically on their services' merits. We now have evidence that Epic are buying up exclusivity. Holding "1st party" that you developed/published as exclusives is one thing, bribing 3rd party devs is a completely different kettle of fish.

At the end of the day it's not a real breaker for me.

One hugely anti-consumer thing which Epic seem to be doing which no is talking about is that they're blocking key sales on legit 3rd party e-tailers (outside of rare box copies) on sites like Fanatical, Amazon, Green Man Gaming, Gamersgate, etc. There's no competitive pricing for keys, you have to buy the artificially inflated regional pricing or bust. Eg RE2make is $105-120 NZD on Steam, I bought my Deluxe key for $75 from GMG.
    Still can't really blame SE, a lot of publishers and developers, even customers, thought before the reveal of the consoles that MS would of dominated this generation of consoles.
    Wrong. By the time they announced RotTR the market position of Xbox 1 had long since been decided. Come mid 2014 it was clear that Xb1 console install base were never going to close the gap with Piss 4. It was only gotten wider, ~40 mill Xb1s vs. ~90 mill Piss 4s.

The Division doesn't even need that many players to get a full server, you'll have no trouble playing with others even if its exclusive to a different store front, plenty of gamers on PC.
    The Division 2 isn't exclusive to Epic, it's on Uplay too.
    Just be glad its not exclusive to MS store where you'd actually need Windows 10 plus updated to the latest version, to play the damn thing.
    Windows 10 is fine, it is objectively better than older versions of Windows Not running it is utterly foolish, you're leaving your system vulnerable.

A problem though is Windows Store exclusivity. It's reputation amongst PC gamers is deservedly terrible. Releasing a MP centric game on Windows Store only is an almost guaranteed kiss of death, especially if they have limitations on cross-play with Xb1 players.

10. Post
    I'm excited, L4D was sick, L4D2 not so great IMO, the creative design didn't sit well with me. Bring back the mood like L4D and I'll buy that shit. It's probably my all-time favourite multiplayer with friends.

11. Post
    I agree, the 2nd one felt wrong to me and i barely played it compared to the first one.

12. Post
    L4D2 was still a blast but lacked the atmosphere from the 1st game

13. Post
    I've played a ton of both, and honestly I still just hate the new special infected. They were designed specifically to counter the strategies of the top VS players in L4D1, which doesn't make for a fun experience playing 2-4P Campaign. My friends and I had so many great moments in 1, finding somewhere to hunker down in the finale and have each other's backs... Now the game punishes you for playing defensively at all, forcing you to spread out, lest you get caught in acid or all bowled over. Level design is similar, always encouraging forward momentum at all times, and throwing a bunch of extraordinary challenges in your way like a field full of Witches walking around, torrential rain in addition to perpetual darkness, and multiple sections with an infinite horde until you reach a switch/safe house.

I'd love a return to the L4D1 level and enemy design, but keeping the new guns, and I like the characters of L4D2 as well.

14. Post
    There is no reason to buy or play L4D1. They added all of the L4D1 content to L4D2 as free DLC (on PC).

EDIT: To clarify this is a general statement. I'm not replying to anyone.

15. Post
    They added the levels, sure. But in modified form and can only be played with L4D2's infected, guns, etc.

16. Post
    So, interesting development. World War Z is out and it's a clone of the original L4D with updated graphics. Seeing it on Twitch it looks really fun. I think they got the hoard and atmosphere just right.

17. Post
    Yeah World War Z looks like a blast.