1. Post

AMD Radeon VII - thoughts?

I'm considering Team Red for my next card for FreeSync compatibility (I can't find any 1440p HDR monitors w/ G-sync on the market + Freesync screens are generally cheaper.). Radeon VII is out this week and it's supposed to be slightly below the Geforce RTX 2080 in performance. RRP is $699 USD, so we're look at probably $1100-1200 here, if I were to guess.

What are your thoughts?

The monitor I'm looking at is BenQ EX3203R. I'll probably need a new AV Receiver with 4K60 + HDR pass-through as well. I have an old ass Onkyo 7.1 1080p one ATM.

2. Post
    I think it will be more like $1400 here

3. Post
    Now I'm reading that AV receivers generally only support TV resolutions and refresh rates. So now thinking to maybe have a "faux" dual screen set-up. HDMI out 1 direct to display + HDMI out 2 strictly to AV receiver for audio. Would probably need a 2nd monitor strictly for consoles.

4. Post
    Im gonna wait till the new tech (Navi?) comes to the RX cards. I just hope my 1080 lasts till then I think its on its way out.

5. Post
    If your reasoning is just for freesync then that point is invalid as in Jan Nvidia released drivers where you can use freesync monitors on Geforce cards.
    Working sweet on my 1070

6. Post
    Make sure you get FreeSync2 and not FreeSync

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

7. Post
    Better get in quick if your set on getting one and being one of 5 or 10 people in NZ that has one

https://www.techpowerup.com/252269/u...l-of-100-cards
    Last edited by SirGrim; 7th February 2019 at 7:55 am.

8. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Im gonna wait till the new tech (Navi?) comes to the RX cards. I just hope my 1080 lasts till then I think its on its way out.
    Navi still not "new" tech. Same architecture (GCN) as current cards.

The real new tech isn't until after Navi. Arcturus I think it's called.

I don't see Navi being a worthwile upgrade to a 1080

9. Post
    Looks like its a good time to pickup a Vega 64 or GTX 1080

10. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    mejobloggs wrote:
    Navi still not "new" tech. Same architecture (GCN) as current cards.

The real new tech isn't until after Navi. Arcturus I think it's called.
    Rumour says Arcturus, but not sure if anything confirms it being GCN's successor yet - all we know for sure directly from AMD road maps is that Arcturus is "NEXT-GEN" and "7NM+"), and in another slide that it will use "NEXT-GEN MEMORY".

My take from that is Arcturus is more likely to be seventh-gen GCN i.e. Navi but on 7NM+ process node.

And as far as Navi/sixth-gen GCN goes - we obviously won't know for sure until it's released - but all leaks indicate it's just a new iteration of Polaris(fourth-gen GCN) with DDR6 memory and manufactured @ 7nm - super efficient for midrange but not trying to decrown the Radeon VII.

It doesn't really look like Navi is meant to be an upgrade for your 1080 - the best Navi card will probably be a slightly cheaper 1080 competitor at best.
    Last edited by iRoN; 7th February 2019 at 5:40 pm.

11. Post
    Oh that's interesting iRoN.

I'm on an RX 470 4GB which I bought for $330nzd on release, and I've considered that extremely good value for performance.

I'm even running 1440p 144hz with it. I don't play many demanding games though so it's been perfect. Titanfall 2 is my most regular 'serious graphics' game and that runs pretty decent with freesync. I was mainly playing Dota 2 which it handled easily at high fps.

I played a bit of The Witcher 3 and that ran at about 50-60 fps on high graphics (damn that game looked beautiful)

So if AMD can pull off another awesome budget performer with Arcturus, then I'm definitely buying.

Since I have 1440p 144hz it'd be nice for my next card to handle that better with more demanding games. Hasn't bothered me so far but there's a few upcoming games that look awesome that I'm finally going to need some more grunt for.

Super looking forward to a new budget-performance king by AMD.

They're seeming pretty stagnant though, and now that NVIDIA supports freesync I'm tempted to switch. I'm hearing good things about the 2060 but that's still double the price of my AMD 470

12. Post
    I think that I'll just get a 1660 Ti. Nvidia advertises it as a 1080p card, which is fine by me.

Monitor BenQ 27-inch 1080p HDR10 Monitor (EW277HDR) is looking good. Gonna see if I can escaping upgrading AV receivers, kinda pointless if they'll only support TV resolutions like 1080p and 4K. I just want more performance and HDR. I can live without better v-sync tech.

AMD just can't get off their asses and compete at the mid-range. Pity, AMD finally had sorted out there shit driver support in recent years and I was willing to give them a shot. Looks like i'm destined to bleed green.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 28th February 2019 at 6:39 am.

13. Post
    1660 is a great priced card for what it is. Terrible name though.

14. Post
    I opted for RTX 2060. The price difference between GTX 1660 Ti's and 2060's was negligible.

Did these cards get a price drop? Sincere thank you to miners, now there's a surplus of cards on the market and no demand for them any more so prices have somewhat normalised.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  85.6 KB
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 4th March 2019 at 9:11 am.

15. Post
    Nice card Eva, even if you did opt for the Gigabyte (yuck :P)

My EVGA 1070 FTW is still going strong $700 over two years ago. Pascal longest generation ever.

16. Post
    LMAO, Nvidia's DLSS anti-aliasing tech is the new FXAA. I.e. blurry shit.

Google tells me that Vega 56 is AMD's performance equivalent. 2060 is cheaper, f*cking LOL.
    https://www.newegg.com/global/nz-en/...=-1&isNodeId=1

17. Post
    I'm still rocking a 3770K+Overclocked 980 and everything goes sweet: then again, I only play in 1080p or 1440p at my desk, so there's that.

Defo want a RTX Card soon though, for them 4K delights with that raytracing fangled niceness.

18. Post
    Tried power hungry AC Origins on Very High @ 1080p. I was getting 50-60fps in a big, dense city. RTX 2060 is a very noticeable upgrade from GTX 970, it seems.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 5th March 2019 at 5:50 pm.

19. Post
    144hz + 2.5K go with a 1080ti or Radeon VII or the new RTX equivalent. For Freesync radeon's your only option however I remember reading nvidia supports it now too?

20. Post
    MightyApe seems to have a 1660 for $480 which seems a suspiciously good price

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...b-gpu/29233398

21. Post
    mejobloggs wrote:
    MightyApe seems to have a 1660 for $480 which seems a suspiciously good price

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...b-gpu/29233398
    I almost bought that but it was too long to fit in my case without pulling apart my PC to remount a HDD. 28cm vs. 22-24cm. Paying a little more for a more powerful card (RTX 2060 vs GTX 1660 Ti) will probably pay off in the long run.

My old hatred of PC shop technicians surfaced today mounting my GPU. Had to struggle to snip four cable ties to free the PCI-e power cable. F*ck the obsession with cable management, man. I bet these dudes are into BDSM with cable ties.