Subnautica

Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
(8 votes)
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

1. Post

Subnautica

Sorry couldn't find any other dedicated threads on this game so thought I'd start one. I'm usually not a fan of survival games but I thought I'd try this game since it's free atm. I've played this for about 25 hrs over the last 4 days & I'm hooked now lol.

I'm still relatively a noob & wondering if anyone else has played this a lot & has some tips & tricks to share. I've watched some YT vids but would be good to your guys ideas.

I have all the basics and have built a small base & a seamoth but thats about it. I'm keen to find all the parts to the cyclops but its a bit of a mission lol. I want to build a bigger base but not sure of the best location.

cheers

2. Post
    I am about the same so no useful input from me, but I have a question. Does anyone else get the full on agoraphobic or thalassophobic anxiety when playing this game. This game stresses me out at times, in a good way (I think) but it does trigger some deep seated anxiety of deep water I never knew I had.

3. Post
    Yeah for sure lol, especially when you first start the game & before you get a seamoth & a high capacity O2 tank. Scary as exploring deeper and deeper with nothing between you and the deep blue sea and a low O2 supply.

4. Post
    Got to give them full credit for the world building. But what I think impresses me the most is how subtle but still compelling the storytelling is. It's so natural it is honestly some of the best I have ever experienced. It gives enough context to what you're doing without ever pushing you to do anything. I would love to see more games attempt this. It is honestly why I think I have kept playing. As someone who needs a story it contextualises my character in the world and gives me the player motivation to keep going. I hope the team get a sweet deal from Epic for allowing their game to be free. These guys deserve all the monies to make more games.

5. Post
    Yeah I love the world & the atmosphere & how immersive the game is. The awesome music adds a lot to that as well. Also like how the game gives you motivation to learn more about the story & keep exploring further & further. Like you said it gives you context so you don't feel like your doing pointless like shit like other survival games.

6. Post
    I nabbed this game also, haven't played it yet. Think I may fire it up....

7. Post
    Love Subnautica, one of my favorite games in the last few years. Atmosphere, imersive, good story, humour. Been through it a couple of times.

8. Post
    So good, I purchased on early access and played through all of the available content at the time. Then decided to wait till release before coming back.

Held to that and played through the game. Its amazing and I would love to play it on VR. Would totally shit my pants when seeing some of the Leviathan class beasties in the dark!

What are you struggling with now most of all? hunger? food? progressing of technology?

Happy to help without blatantly telling you where to go.

If you want to put where you are at in spoiler so as to not ruin things for others we can go for there. Or edit in spoilers to the title and let others risk it

9. Post
    Things are actually going pretty smoothly atm so I'm not really struggling. I'm just taking my time & trying to do things properly & its working out pretty well so far. Was mainly wondering about the best locations to build a base in the long term but I've settled on a decent location for now so I'm all good atm

10. Post
    I had a "main base" which was right under the starting spots. Then had a few scattered outpost bases near the entrances to the deeper locations. Place beacons so you can find them easily again!

Once I got to the lowest depths I moved most of my stuff to a new main base way down below.

11. Post
    Found a few old screenshots, cutting out the ones with spoilers.

Main base got bigger after the screenshot I think.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180204175115_1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	389.3 KB 
ID:	224418

Name:	20180204172759_1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	224419

Name:	20180204174808_1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	224420

Name:	20180204175058_1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	422.3 KB 
ID:	224421

12. Post
    oh sweet those look awesome. Can't wait until I can build a fully pimped out base & the cyclops. Still have a few parts left to find first though. I love how can play this game at your own pace & its not a constant struggle like other survival games.

13. Post
    ok I do have another question.

Spoiler:

14. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    ok I do have another question.
    Spoiler:

15. Post
    sweet thx found it

16. Post
    Playing this now. Only a few hours in but I love the feel. I think this is the last day to get it free with Epic Games Launcher.

Edit: finished after 30 hours. It has all of the crafting and base building of a good survival game, but the setting makes it feel different to many other games which was a plus. Very good game for explorers!
    Last edited by Caffeine; 3rd January 2019 at 10:57 am.

17. Post
    Caffeine wrote:

Edit: finished after 30 hours. It has all of the crafting and base building of a good survival game, but the setting makes it feel different to many other games which was a plus. Very good game for explorers!
    30 hours?

I'm 60 hours in and haven't even been to every area yet. Did you just rush through it or play it on the non-survival mode? Did you build a decent base & unlock all of the vehicles & upgrade them? I don't think you can explore every area unless you have fully upgraded vehicles (or at least fully upgrade the max depth they can go).

Don't think you can get the full experience just playing for 30 hours tbh.

18. Post
    I may have to check Epic Games Launcher again but I'm pretty sure it said 1 day and 8 hours or thereabouts. I was playing survival and did get all the vehicles (Cyclops, seamoth and prawn suit) and unlocked all depth upgrades except for the final prawn suit one (so I couldn't bring the prawn suit all the way to the final area and had to swim the final stretch). I did skip nearly all other vehicle upgrades and my base was indeed fairly small (two rooms, and a second base near a vent for power which was only a moonpool so I can upgrade certain vehicles).
    I admit I did get a little lost with where to go after I found the blue tablet and looked online for where I needed to go so I probably did shave off about 10 hours of fumbling around. I also stuck a lot of storage in the Cyclops and tried to plan out some efficient gathering trips so there wasn't a lot of back tracking to certain areas. I did explore all areas but I didn't spend long in Dunes and Sea Treader's Path.

Also (sorry, so many edits), I was growing four fruit trees on the cyclops and had a big stack of spare batteries. So outside of power, it basically became a self sufficient mobile base. I wasn't tracking back to the main base a lot by then.
    Last edited by Caffeine; 7th January 2019 at 11:42 am.

19. Post
    I’m 22 hours into it, and feel like i’ve barely scratched the surface. Plus i’m a bit stuck; just got this grind of water+food and nothing else. Will explain where i’m up to ......
    Spoiler:

.... so yeah, i’m bored with it, and thinking about shelving it for something else. Any suggestions as to what i can do to further my progress?

20. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    I’m 22 hours into it, and feel like i’ve barely scratched the surface. Plus i’m a bit stuck; just got this grind of water+food and nothing else. Will explain where i’m up to ......
    Spoiler:

.... so yeah, i’m bored with it, and thinking about shelving it for something else. Any suggestions as to what i can do to further my progress?
    Spoiler:

It's hard getting story progression help online as progress in this game isn't always in a straight line.

The radio messages and PDAs can supposedly give you a trail to guide you through to the end but I lost that trail personally.

21. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Spoiler:

The key to me is to always have something to work towards. Like when I first started I just wanted a half decent base, then I started working towards a Seamoth, then I made a bigger base followed by a Cyclops & just recently I got a Prawn. If you're just faffing about willy nilly without a goal then you won't enjoy it as much as & it becomes an endless grind for food & water. Also when you first explore the Aurora you need a radiation suit so that's another thing to work towards early game.

Also the more new things you are working towards the more different resources you will need which will force you to venture out further & deeper.

Make sure to thoroughly explore any wrecks you come across to discover blueprints for new items you can craft.

Don't be afraid to use Google & YT as thats what I do whenever I get stuck.

Yeah I've been in the alien base but not much happened so maybe I went in too early or something.

22. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Yeah I've been in the alien base but not much happened so maybe I went in too early or something.
    I think you may be answering my question to Fred to help with progression
    My memory may be muddled (I spent the last two weeks eating and drinking everything in sight... now detoxing!) but I think that's where you get the blue tablet from. Purple tablet is the first one you get and the one you need to access the first base.

Edit: nope I am indeed wrong. That was in the thermal plant where I had to go for blueprints to complete parts of the
    Spoiler:

But you should still make a major discovery inside that first base when attempting to activate machinery.
    Spoiler:

I think after that first base you get radioed and
    Spoiler:

Again, hazy drunken memories may be at play here. I am waffling on a bit but I like to talk about the game - I really enjoyed it!
    Last edited by Caffeine; 7th January 2019 at 3:57 pm.

23. Post
    Just checked my save file, it was actually 38 hours. Not too unusual.

24. Post
    Yeah according to that link I'm in the Leisurely/completionist category which is pretty accurate. I'm slowly working my way through the main story but also taking my time exploring & trying to craft as much different stuff as possible & fully upgrading everything. First game in a long time I haven't been rushing to get to the end which shows how much I'm enjoying it.

I think having an actual end game sets this apart from other survival games since the goal in most other survival games is just to survive as long as possible and there is no real story or ending.

25. Post
    Bought this the other day after seeing it nab #2 on the Zero Punctuation best games of 2018 video. Hopefully I'll actually get around to playing it