1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    heathen, I scorn thee!

3. Post
    Couldn't agree more chris

4. Post
    This one was interesting. There were a number of people touting GOTY prior to release, and I think those were folk leaning on their happy childhood memories and wonderful reality skewing powers of time and nostalgia. I can understand the love back in the infancy of 3D platforming, but they really just don't stack up anymore. I would love to see a new Spyro game with deeper systems and a meaty story. I think Spyro as a character is someone who would be most welcome in this very cynical age of gaming.

5. Post
    I think this has been done to an exceptional standard and it looks and feels great, I was very hyped for solely based on nostalgia. Initially I was disappointed in the graphics and was expecting more but then I got use to it and realised how well it had been done.

The gameplay initially was fun and pretty refreshing from what I'm use to playing but after about 20 dragons freed it was a big realisation that that's the entire game. Barely any variation at all. I remember playing it as a kid for hours upon hours. But nostalgia can be funny sometimes.

My son is over the moon with it though and that's super cool, given I played it 20 years ago its cool to see my son so excited about it and having to learn what to do.

I would agree with all your statements Chris. Its a cool game but very shallow, nostalgia wears off very quick.

6. Post
    I was too old to play this when it first came out so definitely too old to play this now lol.

#oldmanforums

7. Post
    With barely any story to speak of and a succession of single-line and single-note characters to meet along the way, it feels very shallow. Mechanically the game is also rather sparse, with very basic platforming, simplistic combat and virtually no enemy AI to speak of.
    Keeping in mind that these games were made for children, what exactly did you go in expecting?

8. Post
    Will buy for the kids. i was too old for the original too lol so old,

9. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Keeping in mind that these games were made for children, what exactly did you go in expecting?
    I gotta agree here, it's like lamenting that Dark Souls is too hard - it's kinda the point.

10. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    I gotta agree here, it's like lamenting that Dark Souls is too hard - it's kinda the point.
    Did you read the review? I clearly point out that I am not the target demographic, and that Kids and long-time fans will likely like it a lot.
    I have Eva on ignore so I am assuming its about how I found the game play. Which is accurate. I am not lamenting anything. It's an observation nothing more.

11. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Did you read the review? I clearly point out that I am not the target demographic, and that Kids and long-time fans will likely like it a lot.
    I have Eva on ignore so I am assuming its about how I found the game play. Which is accurate. I am not lamenting anything. It's an observation nothing more.
    I did read the whole thing and It still doesn't explain why you'd criticise the game for playing to it's target audience. The review doesn't explain why you'd expect to find any sort of character depth (it's not RDR2) or less-than-shallow platforming (it's a collectathon rather than a linear platformer) or complex combat (it aint Dark Souls) in a game designed for children in the first place.

If you're into a more mature game, that's fine, but it's another thing altogether to take points off a kids game for being a game designed for kids rather than yourself.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 19th November 2018 at 10:48 am.

12. Post
    I've played a lot of platformers with character. I was also not looking for anything. I was pointing out what it was.
    I do not, and have never docked points. I don't know of a reviewer that does, or even thinks that way.
    Part of a review is to inform. So pointing out that it is simple and shallow it is is completely relevant. Its a platformer released in 2018 that is extremely dated which may be expected, it does change the fact that it is exactly that.
    The score is not based on a couple of things you noted but the overall impression of the game. People focus too much on the score. There is 1000 words before it, maybe use that as the context, not a few of them.

13. Post
    ^Didn't really answer the question, what gave you the impression that Spyro would have complex combat and character depth? What other platformer targeted towards the same demographic has these things? Your criticism has no context to it (what are you comparing it to, exactly?) and the review just came off like you were making unreasonable requests of a game targeted towards a younger demographic.

Just out of curiosity, what type of AI do you think is reasonable for a kids game? What's your yardstick?
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 19th November 2018 at 3:34 pm.

14. Post
    You're entitled to your opinion.

15. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    You're entitled to your opinion.
    FWIW I usually like your reviews but I'm just not sure you were the right guy to review a kids game if you wished it had "deeper systems and a meaty story".

There are just some genres people don't understand - I wouldn't review a Souls game for example, mainly because the controller would be inside my TV by the second hour :P

16. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    At least mine is grounded in some context. Yours has none.
    I had no expectation of deeper systems or story. I knew exactly what this was. My little sister played the crap out of all of them.
    You're projecting , making assumptions, and now actively seeking to misrepresent me.
    After Crash, Yooka-Laylee, and to a lesser degree Ratchet and Clank Spyro is simplistic and shallow. I also said it was fun and charming. But an out-dated game is still out-dated even is prettied up.
    You disagree with me, fair enough move along. I am sure there is a review out there that validates you just fine.

17. Post
    You disagree with me, fair enough move along. I am sure there is a review out there that validates you just fine.
    Love how your default response to someone who has the audacity to ask for some clarification is 'move along'. Why even bother posting if that's how you feel?

18. Post
    Default response? Seriously? And did you also just ignore the 3 sentences prior to the one you decided to quote.
    The review provides context. In fact I lead with it. Its something I always try and do. Because an opinion without context is of very little value.
    The reason I responded was to point out that claims that I had unrealistic expectations was incorrect, but you're still harping on like that is the case despite being told multiple times it is not.
    Maybe ludez could enlighten you about why he thinks the same as I do because I just don't have the energy or desire to continue with this pointless debate.

19. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Default response? Seriously? And did you also just ignore the 3 sentences prior to the one you decided to quote.
    The review provides context. In fact I lead with it. Its something I always try and do. Because an opinion without context is of very little value.
    The reason I responded was to point out that claims that I had unrealistic expectations was incorrect, but you're still harping on like that is the case despite being told multiple times it is not.
    Maybe ludez could enlighten you about why he thinks the same as I do because I just don't have the energy or desire to continue with this pointless debate.
    You didn't lead with it at all, in fact, all you said about the last 2 games' gameplay was

There is very little here for the modern gamer, all three games lack the challenge, depth, and variety of Crash Bandicoot as well as it's more adult-friendly themes and humour
    You don't go into any detail what makes Crash more varied or more challenging than Spyro and then you praise Crash for being more adult-friendly compared to a kids game. There's no context at all in this statement.

But that's okay, because you put half a paragraph about the ethics of torching a sheep, so all good.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 19th November 2018 at 8:46 pm.

20. Post
    Very simple mechanically, with shallow game play, and two-dimensional characters. Lack of differentiation between titles.
    I agree how all games are very simple mechanically and the gameplay can be rather shallow, but there's a lot of differentiation between Spyro the Dragon and Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage. In Spyro 2, they added new gameplay mechanics such as swimming, climbing, headbash and hover. There are mini games in each level for you to unlock orbs which are required to progress in the story, more structured and proper boss fights, intro and ending cinematics for each level. In Spyro 3 Year of the Dragon, you play as 4 different characters and play Sparx's mini levels. There are also new additions to gameplay such as skateboarding and racing.

For a game that's extremely dated, basic platforming, shallow gameplay, lacks variety, simple mechanically and lacks differentiation between titles, I'm surprised you loved the Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy.

21. Post
    imagine having such a hot-head as a reviewer would cause such arguments