1. Post

FFXV director resigns from Square (DLC cancelled,$33m loss)

As a result of Tabatas resignation square posted a loss of $33m in revenue.

Having conducted an in-depth review of the business strategy for Luminous Productions Co., Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary (the “Subsidiary”), the Company had decided to focus the Subsidiary’s development efforts on large-scale, high-quality AAA game titles, which best leverages the Subsidiary’s strengths.
    Tabatas statement

"To everyone watching the program, hello, this is Tabata," the director said in a pre-written, text-only message aired on stream. "It's almost going to be two whole years since the release of FFXV. I honestly believe the reason we were able to get this far is because of all you loyal fans. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Today, I have a personal announcement to make to all of you. I, Hajime Tabata, will be resigning from Luminous Productions and the Square Enix Group as of October 31, 2018.

"I was able to gain so much experience with my time at Square Enix. Every time I was able to be a part of means a lot to me. However, FFXV stood out from that group as it was a special project for me which I went all-in. Therefore, I decided to take this opportunity to officially announce my departure from FFXV to all the fans who have supported the title across from the globe.

"In regards to my next endeavors and near future, I have a project that I truly wish to solidify as my next challenge after FFXV. For that reason, I have decided to leave my current position and start my own business in order to achieve my goal. As production of Episode Ardyn continues and Luminous Productions works on new projects, I felt it was time for me to hand over the torch to the next generation group of talented and trustworthy colleagues and believe that they will create something amazing. From this day on, I will cheer and support Square Enix and Luminous Productions together with all you fans.

"I would like to thank everyone who continue [sic] to support FFXV and those who have supported myself personally."

2. Post
    What DLC is no longer coming out now? I knew there was a long list, but I've not really been following for a while.

3. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    What DLC is no longer coming out now? I knew there was a long list, but I've not really been following for a while.
    Episodes, Aranea, Lunafreya and Noctis.

tho they did say they wanted to still tell the story form them in some form.

4. Post
    Well that does suck. I like FFXV a lot, and was looking forward to marathoning through all the DLC eps when they were all out. I wonder how much fallout there will be for season pass folk?

5. Post
    And here we go.... this is our gaming future. I hope you enjoy tapping on glass screens bois

https://mmos.com/news/mobile-strateg...x-mmo-combined

Its not worth it anymore. Gaming is now for mobiles evidently.

6. Post
    And yet there is a GOTY thread filled with amazing non-mobile games...
    They are different markets. I get the concern but it's a little premature imo.
    Things do change though, and where there is a demand companies will try to accommodate it.

7. Post
    You're absolutely right that big corps are going to go where the money is, my problem is that I'm naive enough to think that some are in it for things other than the big bucks.

8. Post
    Gutted, I assume SE will release a second complete version in future.

Time to move on from XV I think.

9. Post
    The Royal Edition is complete apart from the upcoming Episode Ardyn, they should just tack it on to that and have done with it.

10. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    As a result of Tabatas resignation square posted a loss of $33m in revenue.
    Surely not?

11. Post
    its true. Since he wont be there to finish the remaining DLC they straight up cancelled it the DLC was worth 33 million.

12. Post
    I doubt the dlc had that much funneled in to it. Its not like they had to develop a lot of new assets. I could easily be wrong there. I think that loss is more tied to the setup of Luminous Productions and something that must have gone wrong with their new IP. This whole situation smells funny, you don't give a man his own production company only to have him walk a few months later. Something went down, maybe this is Tabata falling on his sword for a venture that didn't pan out, maybe he wasn't allowed to focus on the new IP because of XV commitments and it was getting him down.

This is all conjecture of course.

13. Post
    It's likely 33 million in lost earnings. No DLC. No DLC sales. No DLC profits.