1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Sure why not.

3. Post
    I love the idea of streaming games, but in practice I'm highly skeptical that it would work

4. Post
    I think the idea of streaming games would hold more appeal to New Zealand and Australian gamers if we had better internet. This will go down well in the US, UK, Europe, etc.

5. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    I think the idea of streaming games would hold more appeal to New Zealand and Australian gamers if we had better internet. This will go down well in the US, UK, Europe, etc.
    We have some of the best in the world. What are you talking about?

6. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    We have some of the best in the world. What are you talking about?
    I'm unsure if you're joking or not.

We're severely bottlenecked by the Southern Cross Cable.

Internally it is fine. Good, even. But because of our geographic location and the single bottleneck, we're severely hamstrung connecting to the outside world. You won't notice it for little things like emails and general web browsing, but if you tried streaming decent quality (I'm talking upload and download here, not just download) you'll notice just how bad it is. Sometimes you might get a good connection to a server, but it is inconsistant at best.

Further to that, if you live outside of the few larger city centers, you're also going to be suffering quite a bit of decay on your connection. The big fiber initiative is behind schedule and lacks definitive answers for when areas are going to get it, just vague ballpark dates.

If you also look at the data for, for example, the government's Result 10 initiative you'll notice that not only have they consistently failed at meeting their targets, but they are inconsistent from one government service to the next. The uptake by people is horrible due to the nature of the Digital Divide. The Digital Divide statistics should be making you cringe.

Some of the best in the world? Yeah, right.

Tell me, how many New Zealand Twitch Streamers out there would agree with you? Do you even know how few of them there are? Do you know why they are so few? It's not because people don't want to do it... it's that they don't have internet of sufficient quality to do it at an acceptable quality.

I've yet to play games with people online and have similar or better pings... unless it is with other New Zealanders or Australians.

There are a lot of different factors holding NZ back from having "some of the best in the world". And it's not all infrastructure either. Don't kid yourself. We're getting the short end of the stick when you compare us to the best in the world.

7. Post
    Our internet will be fine - if we can get the cloud data processing centre in Wellington

8. Post
    I agree with Nerin. While on average NZ has great internet (we have an avg d/l speed of over 8Mb/s) with a high uptake of Gigabit connections, we have inherent latency issues due to our geographic isolation, and a lack of infrastructure connecting us efficiently to the US and Europe.

9. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    I agree with Nerin. While on average NZ has great internet (we have an avg d/l speed of over 8Mb/s) with a high uptake of Gigabit connections, we have inherent latency issues due to our geographic isolation, and a lack of infrastructure connecting us efficiently to the US and Europe.
    It's not even that, even people using the Steam Link over a wired LAN are having issues with twitchy games like Rocket League and FPS titles and that's in the same house where everything is under direct control. With cloud gaming, you're effectively limiting your gaming to turn-based or non-action games.

10. Post
    Well the Steam Link is at max a 100mbit connection. Which is why they've been sold for $5 recently.
    Many of us are on Gigabit connections, and the uptake in NZ is higher than most countries.

11. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Well the Steam Link is at max a 100mbit connection. Which is why they've been sold for $5 recently.
    Many of us are on Gigabit connections, and the uptake in NZ is higher than most countries.
    Throughput isn't the issue, its latency. 100Mbit is plenty.

12. Post
    DW wrote:
    Throughput isn't the issue, its latency. 100Mbit is plenty.
    Its not enough for 4K streaming hence the drop in price.
    As I said earlier, I agree latency is the problem

13. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    ^Always this.

Then I laugh at my mates who've gone gigabit internet, for heck knows why at home. *shrug*

14. Post
    Weegee wrote:
    ^Always this.

Then I laugh at my mates who've gone gigabit internet, for heck knows why at home. *shrug*
    4K media streaming/downloads
    Fast game downloads.
    I am almost 100% digital for games, have a 4K TV and stream everything in 4K (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc).

15. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Its not enough for 4K streaming hence the drop in price.
    Isn't it? 4K video @ 30fps can stream at around 15Mbit. What exactly is the requirement for 4K game streaming?

16. Post
    DW wrote:
    Isn't it? 4K video @ 30fps can stream at around 15Mbit.
    Nope. Or not in my experience. Buffering was a constant issue until I upgraded.

[edit] you mean the Steam Link.
    WhoTF would play 30 fps on PC?

17. Post
    No I mean video. I can stream 4K Netflix/Amazon on my ADSL connection without buffering.

I'm simply asking how you know that 100Mbit isn't enough for 4K gaming? Is there something you've seen to indicate this is the case?

18. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Steam actually maxes out at 30Mbps without changing the config files. It only affects picture quality though, still doesn't change the issue of the extra ~100ms of input lag generated. What's the point of a super clean picture when you can't play the games you want on it without issues?

19. Post
    Might be somewhat premature to judge when we dont know what the technology at play is going to be. Its the same as bagging a game before its released (or preordering in reverse). Facetiousness out of the way, yeah agreed, its highly unlikely any of google's planning would even remotely take our geographic isolation into account in their planning so highly sceptic of this.

20. Post
    DW wrote:
    No I mean video. I can stream 4K Netflix/Amazon on my ADSL connection without buffering.

I'm simply asking how you know that 100Mbit isn't enough for 4K gaming? Is there something you've seen to indicate this is the case?
    I don't know. This was based on conversations within the studio, and issues we've had internally with streaming interactive content. Maybe I'll just stfu about this until I learn more about it.

21. Post
    UPLOAD is the key factor for streaming games. Trying to equate with streaming music and video doesn't work. You can live with buffering on video, you can't with the likes of Twitch-reflex games like most shooters.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 6th July 2018 at 12:18 pm.