Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 27

  1. Post
    #1

    Valve opens almost all floodgates on Steam storefront

    https://steamcommunity.com/games/593...76116200553082
    This is a win for both game developers and gamers. Free speech has triumphed today. The free market will decide what sinks and swims, not moral gatekeepers.

    Contrary to popular belief Steam actually has effective content curation tools to tailor their storefront to every individual customer.
    https://youtu.be/dx2SSAEBKDM
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 10th June 2018 at 3:52 am.

  2. Post
    #2
    What did they not allow before?

  3. Post
    #3
    Is it really a free speech issue when Steam is the distribution platform? For example, Twitter has rules against harassment etc built into their rules for using the service. GP forums users can be banned for similar things. So does, for example, Blizzard, if you use their platform to play their games. It's not like "publishing my offensive game on Steam" is a basic human right.

  4. Post
    #4
    Great. Looking foward to playing "jihadi Jeff goes to primary school" and many more.

  5. Post
    #5
    CODChimera wrote:
    What did they not allow before?
    Apparently they started taking down Japanese Hentai Porno games - you know the usual Japanese fantasy games about innocent school girls getting their panties wet

  6. Post
    #6
    Gwarden wrote:
    Is it really a free speech issue when Steam is the distribution platform? For example, Twitter has rules against harassment etc built into their rules for using the service. GP forums users can be banned for similar things. So does, for example, Blizzard, if you use their platform to play their games. It's not like "publishing my offensive game on Steam" is a basic human right.
    lol this. why is it that all the biggest proponents of free speech never actually understand how free speech works :thinking:

  7. Post
    #7
    SirGrim wrote:
    Apparently they started taking down Japanese Hentai Porno games - you know the usual Japanese fantasy games about innocent school girls getting their panties wet
    Some of that stuff is considered illegal in NZ. Ya know, depictions of minors getting tentacle raped and all.

  8. Post
    #8
    SirGrim wrote:
    Apparently they started taking down Japanese Hentai Porno games - you know the usual Japanese fantasy games about innocent school girls getting their panties wet
    So now those are allowed on Steam?

    Yay I guess?

  9. Post
    #9
    CODChimera wrote:
    So now those are allowed on Steam?

    Yay I guess?

  10. Post
    #10
    Gwarden wrote:
    Is it really a free speech issue when Steam is the distribution platform? For example, Twitter has rules against harassment etc built into their rules for using the service. GP forums users can be banned for similar things. So does, for example, Blizzard, if you use their platform to play their games. It's not like "publishing my offensive game on Steam" is a basic human right.
    The big difference is that in the US all speech is protected. whereas here in NZ and many other countries there are limits to what a person can say. America is funny that way. They crazy!
    It ends up being a weird legal discussion, but you're right any private company has the right to police their shit how they like.
    In this case it was apparently some lobby group pressuring them, and they caved temporarily and removed some "visual novels" due to sexual content. Now, I really dislike those games for a lot of reasons, but The Witcher series is easily a lot more salacious and they were ok. Weird double standards being applied.

    the reason for this announcement imo is much less about actual free speech and all to do with the publishers very vocally talking about jumping ship to GOG and other platforms.

    I think its all a bit silly. Age rate your shit and let people choose what they want to play. As long as its not promoting hate, or attempting to normalize/promote real world illegal activity I could not care less

  11. Post
    #11
    ChrisB wrote:
    The big difference is that in the US all speech is protected.
    I think there is categories that fall outside of the first amendment. Particularly child pornography. Sure the Witcher is graphic and at times salacious but mostly it falls within a vague sense of modern decency (vampire sex excepting )

  12. Post
    #12
    Gwarden wrote:
    Is it really a free speech issue when Steam is the distribution platform?
    It's a private company and they can do what they want on their platform, absolutely. If anything Valve's motivations being purely financial are even better idealogically, the marketplace is open to all ideas and consumer demand will decide what sinks and swims.

    It's refreshing to see a tech company with monopoly on the market care about profits more than virtue signalling for Brownie points with vocal minority political extremists, who were never your customers to begin with anyway.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 10th June 2018 at 3:53 am.

  13. Post
    #13
    Not really sure why you're so happy about this but then again I wouldn't buy a Japanese Hentai Porno game so...

  14. Post
    #14
    Is this them just saying "we wont curate"? Because there are a lot of things that are neither illegal nor trolling that should not be allowed.
    Racism, sexism, and homophobia are technically not illegal. And they are just three off the top of my head. Hate speech is protected, but even then a game could be made to promote these ideals and not be actual hate speech.
    It just looks like Valve has given up.

    Also anyone who thinks "letting the market decide" is a good strategy is being moronic. Just because something is unpopular does not mean its not profitable. There are enough disgusting people out there to buy gross shit. So no, its not acceptable for a company to just open the gates to everything imo.

  15. Post
    #15
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    It's refreshing to see a tech company with monopoly on the market care about profits more than virtue signalling for Brownie points with vocal minority political extremists, who were never your customers to begin with anyway.
    Oof, where to even begin with this statement.

  16. Post
    #16
    ChrisB wrote:
    Is this them just saying "we wont curate"? Because there are a lot of things that are neither illegal nor trolling that should not be allowed.
    Racism, sexism, and homophobia are technically not illegal. And they are just three off the top of my head. Hate speech is protected, but even then a game could be made to promote these ideals and not be actual hate speech.
    It just looks like Valve has given up.

    Also anyone who thinks "letting the market decide" is a good strategy is being moronic. Just because something is unpopular does not mean its not profitable. There are enough disgusting people out there to buy gross shit. So no, its not acceptable for a company to just open the gates to everything imo.
    Specially in the age of the internet in earlier years idiots weren’t easily able to congregate with like minded idiots and so it made the world better off but now it’s so easy and you have a million groups of weirdos trying to make everything PC and allowed and yes there will be a market for weird shit because it’s easy for these weirdos to get online and find like minded content

  17. Post
    #17
    i prefer more filters and individual choice than hard policing.

  18. Post
    #18
    The whole discussion of free speech is so brain dead. Private platforms don't have free speech. They have "free" speech. That comes with limits. And no requirement to be free.

    Valve won't censor content on Steam unless Valve decides they want to censor content on Steam. This policy will last until any time Valve decides they want to censor content on Steam.

    The numerous references to "free speech" and "free market" in the above paragraph illustrate how this new policy will work in practice.

    But big ups to the man babies who think they won something new.

  19. Post
    #19
    Don't see it as a big deal since 99% of kids are probably on console or mobile anyway. If any adults want to play some sick weirdo shit then its up to them. As long as kids aren't exposed who cares.

  20. Post
    #20
    ChrisB wrote:
    I think its all a bit silly. Age rate your shit and let people choose what they want to play. As long as its not promoting hate, or attempting to normalize/promote real world illegal activity I could not care less
    /thread really

  21. Post
    #21
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Don't see it as a big deal since 99% of kids are probably on console or mobile anyway. If any adults want to play some sick weirdo shit then its up to them. As long as kids aren't exposed who cares.
    Does Valve have adequate systems in place to 1) accurately verify age and 2) censor content various countries deem not suitable for various age groups or straight up illegal?

  22. Post
    #22
    cool website
    Name:  notaku.PNG
Views: 211
Size:  7.2 KB

  23. Post
    #23
    ChrisB wrote:
    Also anyone who thinks "letting the market decide" is a good strategy is being moronic. Just because something is unpopular does not mean its not profitable. There are enough disgusting people out there to buy gross shit. So no, its not acceptable for a company to just open the gates to everything imo.
    Deciding who gets a platform and who doesn't is a slippery slope. Valve choosing to be Libertarian was the best approach IMO.

    People are adults, they can make their own decisions. Nanny State gatekeeping for fictional electronic entertainment is both authoritarian and condescending. If you don't want to see JFK: Texas Clock Tower Sniper Simulator 1966 just mark it Not Interested and the marketplace algorithm won't show you the game again.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 11th June 2018 at 5:55 am.

  24. Post
    #24
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    mark it Not Interested and the marketplace algorithm won't show you the game again.

    Unless the game gets popular and it gets thrown in your face as a featured game.

  25. Post
    #25
    Arkouda wrote:
    Unless the game gets popular and it gets thrown in your face as a featured game.
    Oh you mean the Steam homepage which shows you recommendations based on your tailored algorithm and curators you've subscribed to? Clutch more straws, my guy.

    What storefront curation there is the homepage is clearly done by human hand (eg what is a featured sale). Most sane people aren't going to push the likes of Ethnic Cleansing.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 11th June 2018 at 6:03 am.