Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Post

Are we maybe seeing a brighter future for XBox due to them looking to their past?

Digital Foundry released a video demoing RDR in 4K.
    Up until now I had zero interest in the XboxOneX because I have a gaming PC, now I am a lot more interested.

Anyone else giving the box another look based on this, and the potential to see some great legacy exclusives getting the UHD treatment?

2. Post
    Backward compatibility is fantastic, it's one of the key reasons I love the PC platform so much. Eg I reinstalled SWAT 4 this week and have been playing that. Giving access to back catalogues is a clear part of Xbox's future, which will be mostly online subscription services, namely Xbox Game Pass (and the continuing Xbox Live Gold scam) i.e. "a Netflix of gaming". MS announced last month that they've opened a gaming cloud streaming division last month.

Chris, I think you should hold off on purchasing actual Xbox hardware. The direction MS is heading is having Xbox as an entirely software-based app that's on EVERY device. The Xbox Play Anywhere programme and MS's push to have cross-platform MP between all devices suggests this too. My point is in the near future you'll probably be able to play older Xbox exclusive games emulated and/or streamed to your Windows PC (...and your smart TV, your tablet, your phone, etc).

3. Post
    I am not planning on a purchase at this time, only that I have gone from not interested at all, to being piqued.

4. Post
    I think it's more Phil realising that while yes they've failed in the first party exclusive department this gen and it's probably too late to invest in any new IP this gen. Looking back at their past catalog of games and using the x as a way to reinvigorate and bringing new life to them while they figure out their exclusive problem isn't a bad alternative.

5. Post
    Meh rather play brand new games like God of War instead of these old ass games lol. Dont see the point of dropping $700+ on a One X. All you need is a decent PC and a PS4.

6. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Meh rather play brand new games like God of War instead of these old ass games lol. Dont see the point of dropping $700+ on a One X. All you need is a decent PC and a PS4.
    Its all subjective, there's a bunch of games I've never played from last gen. That I get to play in 4k. Skate 3 is a perfect example.

I've done my dash with PC, and the ps4 pro was far too loud for my liking. I'm very happy with my one x, it suits my needs perfectly.its also such a good media center.my ps4 was primarily used for media too.

90% of the games I'm interested in are multi platform games. Though no one can deny Sony is killing it with their games.

It'd be nice to have some exclusive IP but I'm really not fussed. Experiencing older games is pretty cool, especially when they feel new.

7. Post
    Far too loud? I have a PS4 Pro, and it barely makes any noise at all. Interesting. Maybe I am just deaf.

When it comes down to it, if you're not really a multiplayer focused gamer, its hard to argue that the XBox is a better investment than a PS4. X may have the better hardware, but when it comes to games PS4 offer far more variety. If you also have a PC, then the X generally doesn't have anything to offer except 4K backwards compatibility. Which is cool, but a lot of money for an emulator, even a really good one. Still, I am not saying its not something to keep in mind.

I think friend lists will be a deciding factor for most, so the 360's dominance last gen obviously affects that this gen. Unless everyone moved to PS4, and based on sales numbers I expect a lot of people did.

8. Post
    PS4 and Gaming PC seems to be the way to go. I also never get rid of my consoles so if I want to play old 360 games I just plug in the 360.

9. Post
    I guess the One X makes sense if you don't have a gaming PC or just want a cheaper option that can display games at 4k (albeit not native in most cases)

10. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Far too loud? I have a PS4 Pro, and it barely makes any noise at all. Interesting. Maybe I am just deaf.
    Get your ears checked old man .
    It bothered me so much. Know a few people who feel the same way.
    Was worse then my vanilla ps4.

Yeah its hard to say to someone yes buy an Xbox over a ps4, in fact you'd be doing a disservice doing so. Since Sony has much more variety.

If you play primarily multi plats then the Xbox one s is the way to go I reckon if your just a casual gamer. If you want the best performance go the x, if you want the player base and pretty awesome games that do look nice go the pro.

Or just have both, which is what I have done till I got the x.

Can't really go wrong with a PC and ps4 or Xbox really that's the best way to play.

11. Post
    Nope.

There are no legacy xbox exclusives that would make me consider buying a one x.

12. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    My man gets it, PC + PS4 + Switch = best setup

However I do wish certain functions worked better on PC as it does on consoles

13. Post
    IMO the PS4 Pro is a bit of a dead duck

If you cant be bothered with the cost or dicking around involved in a PC you are better off picking up an X and then an OG PS4.

This way you get access to the couple of hundred Multi Plat games per year on the superior hardware (the X) as well as the backwards compatible stuff. You can then grab a couple of the PS4 exclusives if they are any good.

14. Post
    Pennywiser NZ wrote:
    IMO the PS4 Pro is a bit of a dead duck
    Not sure if serious?

15. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Not sure if serious?
    Deadly

To me there just isnt enough difference between the PS4 and the PS4 Pro to justify owning one

16. Post
    Pennywiser NZ wrote:
    Deadly

To me there just isnt enough difference between the PS4 and the PS4 Pro to justify owning one
    HDR and 4K, as well as noticeable performance boosts deffo make it worth it for me. If you dont have a 4K or HDR TV, then maybe not.
    But the FPS boost some games get really sold it. 60fps is a vastly better experience over 30fps.

17. Post
    Assumed the PS4 Slim did HDR and 4K?

18. Post
    Pennywiser NZ wrote:
    Assumed the PS4 Slim did HDR and 4K?
    HDR, yes. 4K, no.
    ChrisB wrote:
    But the FPS boost some games get really sold it. 60fps is a vastly better experience over 30fps.
    This. The performance modes in some games makes the upgrade worth it IMO.

19. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Not sure if serious?
    He's not

To any rational buyer - you would buy the One X because you want better visuals or performance, otherwise you would have gone for the OG
    The same logic applies to the PRO, nothing changes - you would one because you want better visuals or performance

To suggest that you someone should get a One X and a OG PS4 makes no sense at all, if you are going to get an OG PS4 then you would also get an OG Xbox One because obviously visuals don't matter to you

20. Post
    So lets say there is 150- 200 Multi Platform games released in a calendar year, then what, <10 PS4 exclusives and <10 Xbox/PC Exclusives that appeal to you.

Why wouldnt you want to be playing all of those Multi Plat games on the best possible platform? (barring PC)

21. Post
    Because the difference is negligible at best. When your already invested in the Playstation ecosystem your not going to uproot and rebuy your whole library of multiplats on the one x on the off chance they look better.

22. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    Because the difference is negligible at best. When your already invested in the Playstation ecosystem your not going to uproot and rebuy your whole library of multiplats on the one x on the off chance they look better.
    I did but yes you are right changing ecosystems isn't easy or cheap. Especially if your friends are on that system

23. Post
    ludez wrote:
    I did but yes you are right changing ecosystems isn't easy or cheap. Especially if your friends are on that system
    As someone who was part of both ecosystems since PS2/Xbox, I haven't turned my X1 on since reviewing Forza 7 last year. Admittedly, part of that is that I dont have as much time to game, but it's also a lack of exclusive games too. And the biggest killer has been all of my direct family migrating to PS4s, and PS4s only.

I don't know anyone that has the X1 except for one guy at work who basically just plays Forza and nothing else.

24. Post
    I'm not much of a gamer now admittedly, but when I had both my ps4 pro got the most use, as a media player as it had neon. And my one x is 80% a media player. My son plays more then I do.

Though when I do play its something cross platform, or pubg

25. Post
    Backwards compatibility is cool, and convenient, but it doesn't make up for the lack of good exclusives on Xbox.
    When can I get a game like God of War? ffs