1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Jebus, shit like this just shouldn't happen

3. Post
    First thing I thought of when reading the headline is "inbuilt obsolescence". Good to see it's not the case!

4. Post
    What a lazy and uncaring 'apology'.

5. Post
    Rii wrote:
    What did you expect? A reach around?

6. Post
    Rii wrote:
    Its perfectly appropriate considering they don't seem to have located the cause, and have no solution.
    Did you want a tear filled video with the CEO commuting seppuku for the shame he has brought on his family? I am pretty sure that would violate YouTube's Terms of Use.

7. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Its perfectly appropriate considering they don't seem to have located the cause, and have no solution.
    Did you want a tear filled video with the CEO commuting seppuku for the shame he has brought on his family? I am pretty sure that would violate YouTube's Terms of Use.
    Do you take every opportunity to return volley as if someone has just shit in your sandwich or do you just unload like a limit-break in FF7 when your ****-o-meter reachs max volume?

I'm just sick of reading half-assed company apologies that read like a non-verbal shrug.
    Last edited by Rii; 8th March 2018 at 3:54 pm.

8. Post
    Rii wrote:
    Do you take every opportunity to return volley as if someone has just shit in your sandwich or do you just unload like a limit-break in FF7 when your ****-o-meter reachs max volume?

I'm just sick of reading half-assed company apologies that read like a non-verbal shrug.
    The apology was not half-assed. If its all they say once, things are sorted, that's another matter potentially.
    My comment was not to be taken so seriously, mate, I talked about seppuku, and it violating YT's terms of use.
    Maybe dial it back a notch or two.

9. Post
    Rii wrote:
    Jesus some people.They explained the situation, let people know that they were actively seeking a solution, promised an update and then apologized.I guess some people just want to be offended and high horse riders these days.Sad

10. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    First thing I thought of when reading the headline is "inbuilt obsolescence". Good to see it's not the case!
    That's the problem with strict security, what's going to happen to devices that have no support and an expired certificate?

11. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    That's the problem with strict security, what's going to happen to devices that have no support and an expired certificate?
    considering how quickly the the occulus community apparently found the issue, any EOL products with similar popularity would likely be hacked back together in no time.

12. Post
    Unsettled wrote:
    considering how quickly the the occulus community apparently found the issue, any EOL products with similar popularity would likely be hacked back together in no time.
    Hopefully, but the larger issue is that you shouldn't have to worry about your expensive peripheral becoming a paperweight. A larger question also is the purpose of the security cert - as a Revive dev stated on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/commen...ue_to_expired/

If malware has enough access to your PC to manipulate files in your Program Files folder it means the malware has admin rights. It doesn't need to hide itself in drivers / libraries anymore, you're screwed.

It really is a DRM feature unfortunately. Without the code signature you could manipulate the Oculus Platform DLL to stop checking whether you own the game.
    The whole 'security' concern seems flimsy considering the Vive doesn't use the same implementation.