Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 29

  1. Post
    #1

    1080p. Do I need an Xbox One X?

    Load times I know will improve.

    HDR?

    I just dont know if its worth double the price at this stage for me as I only play Fifa and Madden and some COD.

  2. Post
    #2
    If it's any help, I just upgraded to a PS4 Pro, and on my 1080P display, the games look and run noticeably better. The Surge is a fantastic example for instance.

  3. Post
    #3
    Xbox one S can do HDR as well can't it? Could be a cheaper option if you really want HDR.


    It's kinda asking if you need to upgrade your 1060 to a 1080 or something. You're upgrading to the best spec so it's really down to you whether it's worth the extra frames/faster load times.

    Personally if those are the only games you really play, I'd say stick with whatever you got, those games aren't really meant to showcase what the PS4 Pro/One X has to offer.

  4. Post
    #4
    those games already run in 60fps and don't look visually THAT much better with a higher resolution - basically a waste if that's all that will be played

  5. Post
    #5
    I'd grab a Xbox One X faster load times and visually games look better.

  6. Post
    #6
    MadGamer wrote:
    I just dont know if its worth double the price at this stage for me as I only play Fifa and Madden and some COD.
    If that's all you play then don't even bother. Those three games already target 60fps on the base consoles. The advantage of the Pro/X for sports games would purely be resolution, i.e. running the games at native 4K.

  7. Post
    #7
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    If that's all you play then don't even bother. Those three games already target 60fps on the base consoles. The advantage of the Pro/X for sports games would purely be resolution, i.e. running the games at native 4K.
    This.

  8. Post
    #8
    Thanks guys. I have an elite controller but I broke my xbox one s, well I didnt but it was our fault.

    I like the idea of the Xbox one X, but with a 1080p screen thats non HDR anyway, I just didnt know if its worth it. I need a new phone so that money could be used wisely elsewhere if there isnt a HUGE benefit. Load times dont worry me, but I did think that would be the only big difference.

  9. Post
    #9
    Any plans to upgrade your display to a 4K capable one at some stage?

  10. Post
    #10
    MadGamer wrote:
    Thanks guys. I have an elite controller but I broke my xbox one s, well I didnt but it was our fault.

    I like the idea of the Xbox one X, but with a 1080p screen thats non HDR anyway, I just didnt know if its worth it. I need a new phone so that money could be used wisely elsewhere if there isnt a HUGE benefit. Load times dont worry me, but I did think that would be the only big difference.
    Unless you're also planning on an HDR 4K TV, then no it is not worth it.
    Downsampling does improve things, but its not going to make a massive difference. As probably one of the few people here who has run the consoles directly side by side at the same time on a 4K HDR screen and a 1080p screen, and checked out the downsampling on the X on a 1080p screen, and then the S on the same 1080p screen across multiple titles I can say with absolute certainty it is not worth it.
    It was one observation I made when Matt and I were testing the X last year.
    The caveat being that if you do plan on buying a 4K HDR TV in the next year or so, it is probably a good idea. As the difference when you have the screen to appreciate it is substantial.

    Anyone touting that the X makes a massive visual difference on a non HDR 1080p screen, has never actually compared the two.

  11. Post
    #11
    So which makes the bigger difference the 4k or the HDR?

    One thing Im finding with my Sony LCD is it just seems washed out. Does HDR help lift that flat look?

    We pretty much stream all our media consumption. So I have been thinking lately maybe we should get a 4k TV. But they are ALL sooooo expensive. Im pretty sure all Sony TVs are HDR10 compliant.

    Also what I hate on my current Bravia which is pre android is you cant use a keyboard on the freaking web browser. Has that changed at all?

  12. Post
    #12
    MadGamer wrote:
    So which makes the bigger difference the 4k or the HDR?
    4K is purely resolution, HDR is colours. They're part and parcel because I think that they only make HDR10 supporting TVs at 4K res.

    16.7 million colors vs Full HDR10 screens have 10-bit panels which have 1.07 billion colour . Non-proper HDR sets (i.e. 1080p TVs and older) use 8-bit panels only have 16.7 million colours. So 16.7 million colours vs 1.07 billion colours. HDR gives you the likes of deeper blacks and whiter whites.

    To state the obvious:- the software content AND the all of the hardware must support HDR to get it.

  13. Post
    #13
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    4K is purely resolution, HDR is colours. They're part and parcel because I think that they only make HDR10 supporting TVs at 4K res.

    16.7 million colors vs Full HDR10 screens have 10-bit panels which have 1.07 billion colour . Non-proper HDR sets (i.e. 1080p TVs and older) use 8-bit panels only have 16.7 million colours. So 16.7 million colours vs 1.07 billion colours. HDR gives you the likes of deeper blacks and whiter whites.

    To state the obvious:- the software content AND the all of the hardware must support HDR to get it.
    Thank you. I now I understand the meaning of HDR10. A lot of photographers dont even work in 10 bit, so to have it in a television would be amazing ( I wonder if I could use it as a monitor, jokes). It seems HDR on a LED is a bit of a smoke and mirrors game, but none the less is effective. So now I am considering a 4k TV, which means the Xbox one X comes back in to play. Looking at Rtings.com the best bang for buck for me would be the Sony 55 9000E, the 93 does look better but not $1000 better. Im hoping at easter prices will drop $500 as current pricing I cant afford 4k. If there is an ultra budget panel I should consider please advise me. Im not too worried about size either. Anything over 40" is large. Id drop size for quality if that was possible, if not, bang for buck as this will be our last TV until OLED becomes mainstream I would imagine.

  14. Post
    #14
    Also are the TCL C2US TVs to be avoided? They appear to get reasonable reviews overseas. Not as high as their EISA best buy award winning TV, but none the less they seem to have the features of much pricier TVs? Is it the nits rating missing or what is wrong with them?

    Im coming from a very faded 4 year old Bravia, and Im only looking for something to see me through until OLEDs drop being $2500 mainstream, so 2-4 years.

  15. Post
    #15
    Cant comment on too much here. I love my HDR 4K TV, which is LCD. My uncle has an OLED HDR screen and its AMAZING! Seriously blows any TV I've seen away. However, OLED is still not great for gaming, or anything which will have static images on screen for longish periods of time. The dreaded Plasma era pixel burn is a thing on OLEDS. My uncle had to get his tv replaced because the Sky Sport logo had burned into the TV

  16. Post
    #16
    MadGamer wrote:
    ( I wonder if I could use it as a monitor, jokes).
    It is an entirely valid option, no jokes.

  17. Post
    #17
    Yeah no different to phones and plagues the AW13, which is actually really fast for gaming, but its a specialised display. But you have to rotate your background or have a black back mode, have icons removed from desktop etc, have the taskbars hide etc. Im going to get an S8 phone simply so I have a small experience of higher res HDR, i watch a lot of movies in bed.

    I could make do with my current TV and a One S, we are not loaded with money right now.

  18. Post
    #18
    One S is perfectly sweet for now I reckon: I may change that opinion if I ever touched mine (my One S), but between all Xbox games getting released for PC now and my Pro/Switch...my poor Xbox never gets any attention :/

    Mass Effect trilogy is still the only games on my One S, although it was one amazing playthrough

  19. Post
    #19
    Might be worth checking settings on the current TV. I'm still using an 8 year old Bravia and it doesn't look any different from when it was new. The only TVs that impress me in shops are the OLEDS which are still $7k+

  20. Post
    #20
    lumpy custard wrote:
    Might be worth checking settings on the current TV. I'm still using an 8 year old Bravia and it doesn't look any different from when it was new. The only TVs that impress me in shops are the OLEDS which are still $7k+
    One difference which you will have I garauntee it is your tv won’t be anywhere near as bright/vivid as a new panel lcd panels degrade over time becoming darker and colours less vivid it happens slowly you won’t notice it unless you had the same panel new standing next to it then you would say wow

  21. Post
    #21
    SirGrim wrote:
    One difference which you will have I garauntee it is your tv won’t be anywhere near as bright/vivid as a new panel lcd panels degrade over time becoming darker and colours less vivid it happens slowly you won’t notice it unless you had the same panel new standing next to it then you would say wow
    Yes for sure. Also Sony naming conventions for settings are a bit whacky. I think I should reset everything and start again. Id like to add some pop and saturation if possible.

    I disagre about OLED being the only WoW TVs, although yes next to LCD they are clearly more Wow haha.

    The Bravia 9300 fed with 4k HDR quality fed is very WoW. It can up sample SDR, but it doesnt compare to the genuine article. If we can afford a 9300 or 9000 over easter specials, Ill go Xbox One x, otherwise Im destined to SDR and X1s until OLED is $2k~ and by then we will have a new console Id expect.

    OLED is great, but LCD is needed for gaming. So whilst you get better blacks etc with OLED, I think the Combo of HDR with 4k content wins at the moment, especially for console gaming. Movies, Id go OLED if I could afford one.

  22. Post
    #22
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    It is an entirely valid option, no jokes.
    But my current Bravia https://store.sony.co.nz/KDL50W700B.html

    I cant read the words from the Sofa, its very odd, it just appears blurry and if you get too close its eye straining. Have things changed?

  23. Post
    #23
    I wouldn't waste your money with the 9300. Especially if you're unsure about how much you should be spending.

    Most reviews that compare the 9000 and the 9300 will outright say that the jump in price isn't worth it. The 9300 has Dolby Vision and HDR along with the X1 Extreme chip. These things should be weighed up for use-case. Dolby Vision is a better HDR format (produces better, brighter results) however it's usually only available in pricey devices as the cost of Dolby Vision licensing is high (which is how HDR10 came about. Sony/Samsung are releasing HDR10+ to better compete with it).

  24. Post
    #24
    MadGamer wrote:
    But my current Bravia https://store.sony.co.nz/KDL50W700B.html

    I cant read the words from the Sofa, its very odd, it just appears blurry and if you get too close its eye straining. Have things changed?
    Your eyesight might've changed...

  25. Post
    #25
    Haisley wrote:
    Your eyesight might've changed...
    haha nah, wasnt crisp to start worth, had my eyes checked twice in that time.

    what about PC monitors, are any worthy, i know they are working on it but it looks to be the hdr side of monitors thats the hard part.

    so really outside xbox one x, a few titles on each streaming device, 4k is really a bit of a, not con, not really needed at this stage, where you can notice HDR without 4k. but seems the two are going together.

    perhaps i might just not be ready for it being a massive media consumer.