1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Guess I better grab this then Been playing FTL the last few nights due to hearing about this as it bought back the itch.

Also just happen to be working on a tabletop miniatures game with the same giant robots vs monsters kind of them so will be nice to see if there are some mechanics I can translate to a dice based miniature game.

3. Post
    I've played about 12 hours so far and not sure if I'll go back for much longer, it wouldn't quite be a ten for me maybe a 7-8 but a very good game either way. I played FTL probably 50 hours all up.

4. Post
    I managed to beat it once (with all the islands) and I don't feel all that compelled to do it again. Maybe if there were some bigger meta than just the pilot carryover and mech unlock stuff, and more variation in the progression through the levels themselves (FTL was a lot better in that respect).

5. Post
    I like it a lot. Not as much as FTL but it's still good. My biggest dislike is the mechanic for unlocking new squads. I preferred the story/event driven unlocks of FTL. The "get points from completing achievements then blind unlock something" is pretty meh. If I'm making a choice I want information to make that choice on.

6. Post
    held off and read the reviews, gameplay is solid but lack of awesome unlocks etc make me think this is a wait for sale game

7. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    held off and read the reviews, gameplay is solid but lack of awesome unlocks etc make me think this is a wait for sale game
    Because under $20NZD is unreasonable? SMH.
    The game has a 91 on Metacritic and 93 on Open Critic.

At some point I really do think people are taking the piss when it comes to game prices, and the sale only mentality.

People obviously can spend their money however they like, but when a universally acclaimed (both consumer and critically) indy that sells for less than $20 is a "sale only" title then something is fundamentally broken with consumer expectations.

Not calling anyone here a bad person, but I find this attitude pretty confusing when it comes to Indy titles. Steam and the perpetual sale cycle has really ****ed things up for small studios.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 5th March 2018 at 12:30 pm.

8. Post
    it is not the cost tho, it is the time investment, atm i only have time to play 1 game at a time, 1-2 hour a day maybe , i got too many games sitting in my Steam list which i got sometimes at full price but i do not have time to play. Still trying to finish my XCOM 2 expansion playthru as well as Kingdom Come : Deliverance. So yeah, i wont have the time to lay this and may as well wait for a sale before i consider it.

9. Post
    Fair enough, and I certainly do not deserve an explanation. Your money, you life, etc. So thanks.
    I wouldn't have even commented if it was "I am too busy"/"my backlog looks like a hoarders wet dream".

I hear ya. Although, I would say. Leave KC for at least six months. It needs more time to polish and refine. Even the devs admit this.

10. Post
    the problem with KC is that it is a real , admittedly buggy , walk from the pretty formulaic games which i no longer buy from Activision, and Bungie etc etc . So even sitting there reading the codex from 14th century Bohemia is way more interesting and fun. But you are correct, i stopped that and waiting for the many MANY tons of bugs they need to iron out . So trying to finish Pit People and now TW:2 and also XCOm2.. ,..omg i dont even want to look at the list of games i Kickstarted and still waiting to play let alone the ones i bought at full price and just sitting there..

wtb more TIME..

11. Post
    I implemented a new policy a couple of years ago. If after 2 hours I was not compelled to keep playing it is uninstalled and black-listed. Too many great games to bother with merely ok, or mediocre ones, let alone bad ones.
    So its kinda funny that I spend so much time on games that are less than amazing for review purposes. Anything under a 7 would not be something I would bother with had I not had an obligation to do so.

12. Post
    140k copies sold at $20 so it seems like price expectations worked out fine for them.

I enjoyed this game, but I'm another one who is done with it already. The changes to progression made it a fairer game than FTL, but also unfortunately left it feeling slight in scope. The playstyles of different squads are interesting to discover, but ultimately I didn't bother finishing them all. Playing out the levels is predictable once you have the mechanics.

Definitely don't regret purchasing, and if they ever get around to tidying the interface for touch I'll still play the odd game on the train.

13. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    I implemented a new policy a couple of years ago. If after 2 hours I was not compelled to keep playing it is uninstalled and black-listed. Too many great games to bother with merely ok, or mediocre ones, let alone bad ones.
    I understand the intent behind that but you could be missing out on some good games because of it. For me, Zelda's tutorial area was god-awful, not to mention that I ran past the guy who explained how to cook (why the hell is that even possible?) so I kept dying to the cold and had to go to a wiki to figure out why (I think it's the only cooking quest which gives you armour as a reward as well, making things even more confusing).

The whole area was a piss-poor start to a good game. I was pretty much just about to put it down when the world opened up, which led to me spending about 60 hours clocking the game + 70 odd shrines and a ton of side-quests.

14. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    I understand the intent behind that but you could be missing out on some good games because of it. For me, Zelda's tutorial area was god-awful, not to mention that I ran past the guy who explained how to cook (why the hell is that even possible?) so I kept dying to the cold and had to go to a wiki to figure out why (I think it's the only cooking quest which gives you armour as a reward as well, making things even more confusing).

The whole area was a piss-poor start to a good game. I was pretty much just about to put it down when the world opened up, which led to me spending about 60 hours clocking the game + 70 odd shrines and a ton of side-quests.
    Thing is, I have a full plate, so its not an issue. FOMO is not something I give a care about. I just want to ensure that I am spending my time as well as I can. If I miss some great games... so be it. As long as the time I am spending gaming is enjoyable I am completely cool with that.

15. Post
    This will scratch my too-long-ignored Advance Wars itch.