Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 90

  1. Post
    #1

    NZGamer.com to Close.

    NZGamer.com is closing its doors. It's been a winding, weird, and often wonderful road for all of us covering the Kiwi gaming community, but that road has come to an end.

    We started NZGamer.com to share the love of videogames. We’re proud to have fostered the local scene, creating one of the only gaming outlets that gave members real rewards via NZGamer.com VIP. We raised money for charities in some of our country’s darkest hours. We attended E3 and other major events to bring you Kiwi perspectives, and generated over 18,000 articles to keep you informed and entertained.

    Ending the site wasn’t an easy decision but the realities of change have caught up with us. YouTube and Twitch have changed the whole industry. Many game publishers have also left New Zealand, leaving us struggling to keep ahead.

    Thank you to all the writers who’ve contributed to NZGamer.com over the past 14 years. You lent your time, your skills, and your voice to great coverage. You’ve been part of gaming’s history in New Zealand, and many of you have already gone on to do amazing things in the wider industry.

    Thank you also to everyone who’s been part of the NZGamer.com community. Without you this site would have been nothing more than a lonely set of bits on an internet server. Many of you created friendships that lasted for years, and seeing those connections form has been one of the best things about the whole project. The fact that we maintained our independence for as long as we did is a testament to the great people we’ve known, and the power of games to bring people together.

    The website will continue to be available for the next couple of months - we want to ensure that we still provide a place for you - the community - to talk about your passions.

    Once again thank you all, for everything.

    NZGamer.com Senior Staff
    Name:  11609-.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  25.2 KB

  2. Post
    #2
    i still get most of my gaming news from gpforums, noegaf or videos from places like ign

  3. Post
    #3
    Neogaf

  4. Post
    #4
    rip

  5. Post
    #5
    jords wrote:
    Neogaf
    Just ignore the crap it’s still a good source of information and they have threads for games that go forums doesnt

  6. Post
    #6
    the forums were a sterile, pedestrian boring hug-fest

  7. Post
    #7
    ^ I did hang out on the forums for a little while a few years ago, but the whole 'reputation' system that they had was shit. And maybe it's changed in the last 5 years, but it was a nasty place.

  8. Post
    #8
    SirGrim wrote:
    Just ignore the crap it’s still a good source of information and they have threads for games that go forums doesnt
    Neogaf won't be here next year, it's dead. ResetERA is just as bad as GAF was.

  9. Post
    #9
    So are all gaming forums just going to die

  10. Post
    #10
    RIP Iconz

  11. Post
    #11
    Equity wrote:
    RIP Iconz
    lol that place was a toxic shithole

  12. Post
    #12
    SirGrim wrote:
    So are all gaming forums just going to die
    Well if admins here get done for sexual assault? maybe?

  13. Post
    #13
    Forums are dead. So are most websites with static content.

    - Twitch
    - Youtube
    - Reddit

    Can throw in Twitter there too, since new news mostly hits reddit/twitter first.

  14. Post
    #14
    SirGrim wrote:
    lol that place was a toxic shithole
    haha wasnt that bad - exactly the same as GP! There was just a massive GP vs ICONZ thing at the time.

  15. Post
    #15
    MysticNZ wrote:
    Forums are dead. So are most websites with static content.

    - Twitch
    - Youtube
    - Reddit

    Can throw in Twitter there too, since new news mostly hits reddit/twitter first.
    Forums are still the only place that really enables long ongoing discussion about a topic. Reddit is the best alternative of the above and even then it's effectively limited to a day before a topic disappears into the abyss.

  16. Post
    #16
    Equity wrote:
    haha wasnt that bad - exactly the same as GP! There was just a massive GP vs ICONZ thing at the time.
    He is probably just bitter because he was banned for using hacks back in the Battlefield days.

  17. Post
    #17
    oh wow. that is really sad. RIP NZGamer.

  18. Post
    #18
    SirGrim wrote:
    lol that place was a toxic shithole
    Might have been a shithole, but it wasn't toxic.

    A little ironic you throwing that word around, Mr. sunshine and smiles.

  19. Post
    #19
    Rii wrote:
    Might have been a shithole, but it wasn't toxic.
    I feel that NZ gaming has lost a lot of the community feel. I miss that the most. These days I jump in servers and dont really know anyone. When we had ICONZ or GP servers you were playing with guys from the forums!

    I tried GP years and years ago, but the old colour scheme kept me away! It was terrible lol.

  20. Post
    #20
    Equity wrote:
    I feel that NZ gaming has lost a lot of the community feel. I miss that the most. These days I jump in servers and dont really know anyone. When we had ICONZ or GP servers you were playing with guys from the forums!

    I tried GP years and years ago, but the old colour scheme kept me away! It was terrible lol.
    heathen! take back your words!!

    the black/blue/orange theme was the best

  21. Post
    #21
    Guess we'll be seeing more people on gpforums now.

    Honestly, I don't get why internet forums are dying. Youtube etc is great but you can't exactly have an indepth discussion on a youtube video comments section. Guess I'm just old and set in my ways.

  22. Post
    #22
    Twitch, Youtube, Reddit are great but I always want something specifically related to NZ which is why I keep coming back here.

    RIP NZGamer

  23. Post
    #23
    Read a couple of reviews from them around 5 years ago but apart from that never went there. GPF has always been way better as it already covers everything when it comes to gaming not to mention all the other non gaming stuff on here

  24. Post
    #24
    I imagine Discord is soaking up a lot of online based communities.

  25. Post
    #25
    Bobs wrote:
    Guess we'll be seeing more people on gpforums now.

    Honestly, I don't get why internet forums are dying. Youtube etc is great but you can't exactly have an indepth discussion on a youtube video comments section. Guess I'm just old and set in my ways.
    How many indepth discussions do we have on here that don't devolve into pointless bickering though?

    Rii wrote:
    I imagine Discord is soaking up a lot of online based communities.
    Yeah Discord is great for building a community.