Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Don't worry GPNZ, Richard has you covered

Interesting tidbits that digital foundry found for us

* The 4k home screen was scrapped, the entire system UI runs in 1080p, the 1Gb of memory that was supposed to be reserved for a 4k output to the UI was removed and instead reserved for games, developers told MS they had to use that 1GB of memory for the games so the UI will now continue to be in 1080p

* The system is still CPU bottlenecked, heavily so - in DF's testing even games like Gears of War 4 which has a 60fps mode can not maintain 60fps (drops down to 40fps were observed) and CPU bottleneck can easily be measured in system draw load - for instance the One X draws 175w when playing Gears in 4k mode but only draws 125w when playing in 60fps mode, the system is unable to use an extra 50w worth of power as the GPU is patiently waiting for the CPU draw calls to process - the same was observed in other titles as well - in Just Cause 3 the game stil frequently drops under 30fps on the One X during explosions

The One X is a great console to match a 4k HDR TV, a solid upgrade for anyone owning a one s or one

Whether or not it makes sense for a PS4 PRO owners to jump ship, well maybe not but it could be worth owning both systems - on the one hand you have GPU limited games that can take advantage of that GPU tflop boost to produce resolutions closer to native 4k and sometimes higher quality textures which is awesome, but for every one of these games, you also have CPU limited games which will continue to run with performance only slightly better than the original Xbox One
    Last edited by SirGrim; 4th November 2017 at 9:01 am.

3. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Don't worry GPNZ, Richard has you covered

Interesting tidbits that digital foundry found for us

* The 4k home screen was scrapped, the entire system UI runs in 1080p, the 1Gb of memory that was supposed to be reserved for a 4k output to the UI was removed and instead reserved for games, developers told MS they had to use that 1GB of memory for the games so the UI will now continue to be in 1080p

* The system is still CPU bottlenecked, heavily so - in DF's testing even games like Gears of War 4 which has a 60fps mode can not maintain 60fps (drops down to 40fps were observed) and CPU bottleneck can easily be measured in system draw load - for instance the One X draws 175w when playing Gears in 4k mode but only draws 125w when playing in 60fps mode, the system is unable to use an extra 50w worth of power as the GPU is patiently waiting for the CPU draw calls to process - the same was observed in other titles as well - in Just Cause 3 the game stil frequently drops under 30fps on the One X during explosions

The One X is a great console to match a 4k HDR TV, a solid upgrade for anyone owning a one s or one

Whether or not it makes sense for a PS4 PRO owners to jump ship, well maybe not but it could be worth owning both systems - on the one hand you have GPU limited games that can take advantage of that GPU tflop boost to produce resolutions closer to native 4k and sometimes higher quality textures which is awesome, but for every one of these games, you also have CPU limited games which will continue to run with performance only slightly better than the original Xbox One
    1. This is a good thing, that's 9GB of RAM that developers now have access to for those sweet 4K textures that the PS4 Pro can't do due to it's lack of RAM (On textures it isn't just sometimes, it's pretty much every single game, and at a higher res to). Incidentally going by the video the developers requested it because they thought it was a better utilisation of the RAM not because they "had to", and it looks like Microsoft Listened. I also feel that need to add that 9GB is 1GB more than precious's 8GB total RAM pool.

2. True, however it's to be expected, as above though it still shits all over what the PS4 Pro can do.

3. If you want the best multplat console experience, and don't own a 4k capable gaming PC then there is a strong case to get an Xbox One X even if you do have a PS4 Pro. Best of both worlds, you get the best multplat experience, and get to play Sony Exclusives as well.

4. Hell it's almost worth it to get one just for the backwards compatibility.
    Last edited by InquisitorZim; 4th November 2017 at 10:19 pm.

4. Post
    I'm not interested in backwards compat myself whenever I go back and play old games I realise how bad they are it's all rose tinted nostalgia

performance wise I wouldn't say it shuts over the pro if you look at just cause 3 they run the game pretty much the same

it's much of muchness as a pro owner it's doing most of what the pro has been doing with a few extra touches

I'm still thinking of changing up my setup I think 1440p 144hz will give me a more different multiplat experience than comparing the one x and pro resolution difference with the same framerate

5. Post
    There are plenty of great older games, even if you can't appreciate them there are plenty of people who can. I sold my Pro to get the 1X, it is a far more appealing option to me for a number of reasons.

6. Post
    SirGrim, Xbox One X shits all over PS4 Pro. Don't act like you have not seen the DF video about backwards compatibility title and you happen to mention the only game Just Cause 3 mentioned by DF that they themselves admitted to be badly optimized by the developer themselves.

7. Post
    DW wrote:
    There are plenty of great older games, even if you can't appreciate them there are plenty of people who can. I sold my Pro to get the 1X, it is a far more appealing option to me for a number of reasons.
    fair enough that's just my experience with old games, everyone enjoys different thing,enjoy your new system bro

8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    fair enough that's just my experience with old games, everyone enjoys different thing,enjoy your new system bro
    They cannot enjoy it until they have convinced everyone else on the internet that they made the right choice when spending their money!

9. Post
    Sectiplave wrote:
    They cannot enjoy it until they have convinced everyone else on the internet that they made the right choice when spending their money!
    If I felt I didn't make the right choice I'd just sell it and buy another PS4 Pro. How do you feel about old games, do you agree with SirGrim that they're all bad? Did you spend your youth playing games that were actually bad? Among other older games I still happily play the original Street Fighter 2, and that came out over 25 years ago. I also played Red Dead Redemption a couple of years back, that was released 7 years ago, and I thought that was a great game too (and it is BC on the XB1).

10. Post
    Will be trading in my one s to get the X, so I'll have the pro and X will do some comparison with games.

Sent from my MX4 Pro using Tapatalk

11. Post
    I'm now having 2nd thoughts about the Xbox One X. It seems like a good upgrade from the Xbox One S. I just hope the load times for some of the games are decreased on the One X. I just wish I skipped the One S and just waited for the One X

I'll be waiting for GP's review
    Last edited by WarZoner; 5th November 2017 at 10:53 am.

12. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Will be trading in my one s to get the X, so I'll have the pro and X will do some comparison with games.

Lets us know yo

13. Post
    I'm glad Microsoft released the X and i'm contemplating selling my Xbox One S also. I must admit most of my gaming is done on PS4 Pro and PC unfortunately and the Xbox Play anywhere scheme has shifted most of my Xbox One exclusive gaming to the PC but i've always loved the Xbox console and will continue to support it as it's a great piece of kit.

14. Post
    I think that the XOX is going to be the go-to for console gaming for the next few years; at least until Sony announce something.
    Regardless of how hard the detractors try to convince themselves the XOX is still well ahead of it's closest rival by a significant margin; it's now up to the game developers to make the most of it.
    I think that with the killing off of the kinect and ESRAM Microsoft have positioned themselves to be able to compete with Sony on a more level playing field with the only difference between the two being the console exclusives.

15. Post
    it's now up to the game developers to make the most of it.
    This is the key point here, will developers of multiplatform games utilise the extra power over the PS4 pro, or will the cost of creating a graphically superior XOX port compared to the PS4 pro be too great considering the XOX's relatively smaller install base?

16. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    This is the key point here, will developers of multiplatform games utilise the extra power over the PS4, or will the cost of creating a graphically superior XOX port compared to the PS4 be too great considering the XOX's relatively smaller install base?
    Fixed that for you, because there are tons of multiplat games that have no PS4 PRO support, implying that some devs dont give a shit about the PRO/X base and build to the next lowesr denominator XO/PS4 vanilla

E.g I bought Evil Within 2 last week, the game runs and looks exactly the same on any PS4 or PS4 PRO, it has zero enhancements

17. Post
    It's also competing with the install base of Xbox one and S. So it's hamstrung in that each game must still work on the vanilla platform. So no system killer game, unless a developer makes an X version and an OG version.

18. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Fixed that for you, because there are tons of multiplat games that have no PS4 PRO support, implying that some devs dont give a shit about the PRO/X base and build to the next lowesr denominator XO/PS4 vanilla

E.g I bought Evil Within 2 last week, the game runs and looks exactly the same on any PS4 or PS4 PRO, it has zero enhancements
    Both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are getting a Evil Within 2 Update.
    Last edited by InquisitorZim; 6th November 2017 at 5:45 pm.

19. Post
    InquisitorZim wrote:
    1. This is a good thing, that's 9GB of RAM that developers now have access to for those sweet 4K textures that the PS4 Pro can't do due to it's lack of RAM (On textures it isn't just sometimes, it's pretty much every single game, and at a higher res to). Incidentally going by the video the developers requested it because they thought it was a better utilisation of the RAM not because they "had to", and it looks like Microsoft Listened. I also feel that need to add that 9GB is 1GB more than precious's 8GB total RAM pool.
    How the HELL do they get away with only 9G of Ram for 4K? Wouldn't it need something more like 16 or more to do it? Or are they cheating? Like, you need at least 16G on PC, and I know they use a wired hybrid thing on the Consouls, but I still do not see how 9G ram will do the job. Unless there reducing the LOD a crap ton in all theses games.

20. Post
    which pc games are using 16gb memory in 4k??

21. Post
    Interesting article from Mark Serrels on Kotaku about the XB1X (ignore the clickbait title);
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/11/th...e-it-cant-win/

Ties in with what you guys were talking about above regarding the install base (or 'default' as he puts it).

The thing is, i don't think either Sony or Microsoft were/are aiming to get back on top with the Pro or the 1X; they're catering to the "hardcore" console owners who want to own the 'most powerful console'.

I'm of the same mind as Kidona - most of my gaming is on the PS4, but i do want the 1X to succeed, and will get one, just not until next year.

22. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    they're catering to the "hardcore" console owners who want to own the 'most powerful console'.
    100% correct. Are people still trying to angle the argument that the X is more than that? I thought the numerous quotes from MS and XBox put an end to that rather simple-minded notion.
    The X like the Pro is a niche product for high-end users. Neither is designed as a 'flagship' unit. They have those already.

SirGrim wrote:
    which pc games are using 16gb memory in 4k??
    None at all.
    8Gb is more than enough (which is what the GTX 1080 has).
    Addition video memory is useful for additional post-processing, and a lot of bells and whistles, but as far as the X and Pro goes, their CPU's will throttle out before you can utilise them any way.
    More RAM is good for CPU intensive operations, but will do little for 4K in general.

23. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    100% correct. Are people still trying to angle the argument that the X is more than that? I thought the numerous quotes from MS and XBox put an end to that rather simple-minded notion.
    The X like the Pro is a niche product for high-end users. Neither is designed as a 'flagship' unit. They have those already.

None at all.
    8Gb is more than enough (which is what the GTX 1080 has).
    Addition video memory is useful for additional post-processing, and a lot of bells and whistles, but as far as the X and Pro goes, their CPU's will throttle out before you can utilise them any way.
    More RAM is good for CPU intensive operations, but will do little for 4K in general.
    What about 4K textures, which takes up a shit load of RAM?

24. Post
    found a tweaktown article which shows 8gb is enough memory for 4k gaming, this is vram, separate from system ram

25. Post
    Xbox one x while it's a shit name is a great piece of technology.
    I'm pretty bloody happy with mine even though I haven't experienced 4k yet the games I've played have been drastically improved.