Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Companies must protect their IP at all times. Failure to do so means they can't protect it in the future, one of the reasons Apple is so aggressive. I'd say this is pretty standard and is nothing to be concerned with, let the lawyers have some fun too.

2. Post
    I feel like everyone has jumped to a few conclusions without properly reading the article. There's an element of IP protection to it, I imagine, but the concerns they're voicing are around having a close relationship with Epic Games (because of using UE4) and them taking advantage of that and their intimate knowledge of PUBG's development to make their own game. From the article:

"We're going to get some technical support [from Epic], and we're going to work with them to make sure Unreal Engine better supports battle royale gameplay which requires 100 people in one session, and now we're starting to have concerns that they're going to develop new features or improve something in the engine to support that battle royale gameplay, and then use it for their own game mode," he said.

"We could be afraid when we make new features in the engine by modifying it internally, that is not already available and public, that feature could be leaked, or other things could happen.

"So, we just want to emphasize this only a problem because Epic Games is the company that makes the engine we use and we pay a large amount of royalties to them."
    I was going to keep quoting shit and continuing but I mean... it's all there.

3. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    I feel like everyone has jumped to a few conclusions without properly reading the article. There's an element of IP protection to it, I imagine, but the concerns they're voicing are around having a close relationship with Epic Games (because of using UE4) and them taking advantage of that and their intimate knowledge of PUBG's development to make their own game. From the article:

I was going to keep quoting shit and continuing but I mean... it's all there.
    yeah its pretty clear a lot of people didnt bother reading the article at all lol. Its actually quite reasonable when you read it too.

4. Post
    People here keep saying that PUBG can't do this because the game isn't original. That's not what is going on here. They aren't claiming to own a mode. The conflict of interest stems from the fact that they share the profits of their game with Epic because they pay them to use the Unreal 4 engine and then Epic took the game they made with it, changed a few things, and are marketing it as their own product. If a game like Call of Duty, or Star Wars Battlegrounds added a mode similar to this, then there wouldn't be an issue any more than there is with any of the game modes these types of games share. What PUBG is correctly saying is that this is a conflict of interest as they are essentially partners with Epic. It would be like me renting an art studio and the studio owners then started making cheap knock off work based on my art and selling it at low prices. That's a conflict of interest and they very much have a legal basis to go after Epic using it.

5. Post

That isn't what a conflict of interest is.

Taiveraad wrote:
    I can see where they're coming from with some of this stuff but I don't think you can own a game mode.
    PUBG reps already said this isn't about the game mode. A conflict of interest comes from the fact that they essentially are partners with Epic because they are paying them for using the Unreal 4 engine. It's a completely legitimate case. It would be like if you paid for tools and factory space to make a car and agreed to share the profits with the owners, only to have them see what you built, make a cheap knock off and sell it on their own without sharing. It's pretty shady. If this mode were in Call of Duty of Star Wars Battlefront, it wouldn't be an issue because that isn't a conflict of interest as they aren't partners.

6. Post
    I guess h1z1 kotk is totally different then lol. These guys are just making themselves look like tools.

7. Post
    UE4 is used in 2 many games / companies? basically if they partner with anyone then they cant make anything similar ?