1. Post

New ARIKA Game (Street Fighter EX) - PS4

Here’s an official trailer for that new fighting game from Akira Co., the company behind the Street Fighter EX series.

Originally teased on April Fools’ day, the game still doesn’t have a name. But it does have Skullomania, the failed businessman who tries to take out his capitalist-fueled frustration on criminals as skeleton suit wearing vigilante. He was first introduced in Street Fighter EX and hasn’t been seen since the early aughts. If you still have questions, watch this tribute video.

Here’s the video description for the trailer,

“ARIKA has decided to begin development on a PlayStation 4 version of ‘Mysterious Fighting Game (Title Undecided)’ and make a public announcement on the final day of EVO 2017. This game will be the newest entry in the EX Series.”
    Mysterious Fighting Game (Title Undecided) is due out sometime in 2018 on PS4 and will be released across all regions (Japan, NA, EU) simultaneously.

2. Post
    I member this game on PSX. Didn't realise it was effectively an Arika v Capcom game.

So much fighting game competition, this title will struggle to gain traction I bet.

3. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    So much fighting game competition, this title will struggle to gain traction I bet.
    For sure. ArcSys just announced a Blazblue vs. Persona vs. other ArcSys crossover fighting game, so automatically right there's another heavyweight developer that they have to contend with.

They're definitely a small AA developer punching above the belt, best of luck to them.

4. Post
    they should include rival schools characters. i cant remember if arika made rival schools or not but it was quite obviously built on the EX engine.

5. Post
    Nah thats all Capcom.

Hope this means Capcom and Arika are open to working on a deal for cross over.

6. Post
    I don't know if you guys noticed, but that game looks like it is using the same animations and voices from the original game.

I popped in my copy of Street Fighter EX and could swear that the announcer, and all the voices announcing their moves were exactly the same as in the trailer.

7. Post

8. Post
    I really like this, I loved EX back in the day and would frequently play it in the arcades along with 3s, CvS2, and others. I also had a bootleg PS1 copy of Rival Schools which I used to play a lot.

I know a lot of people are into SFV or Injustice or whatever, but this and the DBZ fighting game are definitely ones that I wanna check out.

9. Post
    Used to main Kairi and Garuda back in the day. Will be watching this games progress.

10. Post
    I've bought a few beat em ups over the last year or so (SFV, Mortal Kombat XL, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, Tekken 7) and find myself coming back to SFV the most. To me the SF series has always been the purest and most enjoyable example of the genre

11. Post
    Used to play this along with Alpha 2 at Two Jays and Outer Limits s kid in Papakura. Good times.

12. Post
    jords wrote:
    Used to play this along with Alpha 2 at Two Jays and Outer Limits s kid in Papakura. Good times.
    Wasn't there an arcade in O'Shannessey Street? I only went there a few times, some Maori kid got pissed off and punched a screen while I was there once. I tried looking through Google Maps but cannot find it any more, it's probably gone like most arcades in Auckland. We're talking about a memory I have from the 90s though, so I'm not surprised if it's gone. There was also an arcade which backed on to a Burger King (?) in Manurewa, not sure if that's still there either.

13. Post
    That was Outer Limits it's now a church and before that a furniture store and before that a school uniform shop. It would have closed down at least 15 years ago.

14. Post
    Krichul wrote:
    There was also an arcade which backed on to a Burger King (?) in Manurewa, not sure if that's still there either.
    The one that as part of the Burger King inside Southmall? Man that place was rubbish. No idea if that BK is even still there.
    I'm definitely bias towards fighting games here but I spent a LOT of time in 'Hollywoods' arcade and at Fat Jacks burger bar which is now a T.A.B in Manurewa.
    My friends and I also used to mission to the mini arcade that was inside the Video Ezy in Papakura.
    Looking back the I think I was crazy, the places I used to go to play some Street Fighter. Dodgy laundromats, dairies anywhere that had a cabinet. I lost track of how many times I had knives pulled on me, threatened etc. Kombat Zone arcade in Onehunga was the worst.

Back on topic I'm surprised by the nostalgia for this game, I played it a lot when it came out but I do wonder about the appeal to younger people that never played the original and with the lack of recognisable Street Fighter characters.
    It feels like a niche game. I want it to do well but there are a LOT of good fighters out there at the moment, this will have to be something pretty special to stand out from the crowd.
    Last edited by geneterror; 10th August 2017 at 7:37 am.

15. Post

16. Post
    geneterror wrote:
    It feels like a niche game. I want it to do well but there are a LOT of good fighters out there at the moment, this will have to be something pretty special to stand out from the crowd.
    I wouldn't be surprised if MvC: Infinite drops off by 2019 and won't be at that year's Evo. We might have a Smash Bros for Switch by then as well.

17. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if MvC: Infinite drops off by 2019 and won't be at that year's Evo.
    I would be extremely surprised if this is true. After the initial disappointment that was the story mode demo Capcom has done a lot to show that the gameplay is legitimately good and have improved the graphics.
    MvC is unlikely to ever drop below the number of entrants for games like Killer Instinct or MK/Injustice which still get a spot every year.
    EVO tried to drop UMvC3 this year and it got voted back in by a large margin when they allowed people to vote on the final game. I've been following overseas tournies since EVO was still the B Series of tournies, I think the first one I saw was B4 in 2000 or 2001. MvC has always had a rabid following in the fighting game community.

Check out this video that was leaked yesterday:
    https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/...g-and-esports/
    Capcom are clearly planning supporting this game one way or another. I don't think Echo Fox signed Justin Wong just for his SFV skills, they know a new Marvel game is about to come out. Anyone that has been following fighting tournaments and Justin for a while knows he is likely to dominate that game for the first year of it's life, if not longer.

I think the casual market will have moved on within 2 months but I can't see MvC Infinite being dropped from EVO US anytime in the next few years. I know it's not in the lineup for EVO Japan early next year but that is a cultural thing, the Japanese have never really played Marvel. Hell EVO Japan has ARMS in it's lineup and the U.S already considers that a dead game.

We are currently in a second "golden age" of fighters and I love it, I just wish I had time to play them all!