Anthem - MMO-ARPG Shooter by BioWare Edmonton

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    kyokei wrote:
    Just confirming that you do not need to pre-order to play the upcoming demo this weekend? Sorry if this has already been mentioned somewhere in this thread.
    No you dont need to its open for anyone that wants to try.

2. Post
    think i'm going to download the demo on pc and see if my pc is even capable of running it tomorrow, otherwise the ps4 will get started up.

of course the first thing i see is that i forgot how much bigger downloads for these things are on pc lol, demo is almost twice the size of the download on ps4

3. Post
    So is the open demo any different from what we played last weekend?

4. Post
    Taking forever to log in. Wonder if the servers are getting hammered again lol

5. Post
    My ps4 demo crashed on first start up, then booted me to the title screen on first success mission attempt. Then mid way through the Tyrant Mine I got bored and turned it off. Been looking forward to playing this again but... Meh.

6. Post
    Gee the visual downgrade is nothing short of massive
    I think EA just took the downgrade crown from Ubisoft

7. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Gee the visual downgrade is nothing short of massive
    I think EA just took the downgrade crown from Ubisoft
    Downgraded from what?

8. Post
    darryn wrote:
    Downgraded from what?
    E3 gameplay on the left "running on XBOX" lol - aka running on $10,000 PC

On the right, actual game on Xbox One X - most powerful console in the world

9. Post
    darryn wrote:
    Downgraded from what?
    Ignore statements like his please.

This whole downgrade bullshit is tired. Optimisations are the last part of development and visuals do change as they attempt to get a title to run as well as it can. And then we also get the Spiderman idiocy where idiots make false claims about the visual quality of the game.

10. Post
    they are 'investigating' an FoV slider for after release.

Just uninstalled the demo.

Might check it out in a years time

11. Post
    the mouse deceleration/limiting fast movement is so bad, why is that even a thing

12. Post
    ChrisB wrote:

This whole downgrade bullshit is tired. Optimisations are the last part of development and visuals do change as they attempt to get a title to run as well as it can. And then we also get the Spiderman idiocy where idiots make false claims about the visual quality of the game.
    Yeah but don't run the game on a $10,000 pc and claim it's an xbox one x and expect people to be happy because the console was never going to run the game like the "gameplay" you advertised

13. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Yeah but don't run the game on a $10,000 pc and claim it's an xbox one x and expect people to be happy because the console was never going to run the game like the "gameplay" you advertised
    Or you could just not comment on shit you dont understand. Seriously how many times do I have to call you out for idiotic uninformed statements? You clearly have no ****ing idea how game dev works and say dumb shit like this on a regular basis. $10,000 PC? Take off the tin foil hat.

14. Post
    Im liking the storm javelin the most so far

15. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    My ps4 demo crashed on first start up, then booted me to the title screen on first success mission attempt. Then mid way through the Tyrant Mine I got bored and turned it off. Been looking forward to playing this again but... Meh.
    Will hit you up tonight for a team up

16. Post
    ChrisB wrote:

Why downgrade something when it was said to be running on Xbox one X hardware & it was shown to be running smooth? Because it wasn't running on Xbox one X hardware, it was a PC, so it was downgraded & optimized for console, even PC users because most PCs are not running the latest hardware - most / almost all are worse than current gen consoles.

17. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    Why downgrade something when it was said to be running on Xbox one X hardware & it was shown to be running smooth? Because it wasn't running on Xbox one X hardware, it was a PC, so it was downgraded & optimized for console, even PC users because most PCs are not running the latest hardware - most / almost all are worse than current gen consoles.
    SMH. You too fall into the same camp as Grim. Making ignorant claims based on fantasy , conspiracy, and half-truths.
    Using the term "downgrade" is profoundly ignorant and anyone using it should be ignored.

18. Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...ng_and_flight/

mainging mouse fixed for launch among other general control tweaks

19. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    SMH. You too fall into the same camp as Grim. Making ignorant claims based on fantasy , conspiracy, and half-truths.
    Using the term "downgrade" is profoundly ignorant and anyone using it should be ignored.
    Can you post an educational reply for those who are ignorant? Doesn’t have to be extravagant, just a few explanatory points.

20. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Will hit you up tonight for a team up
    Sounds good. Will be trying to squeeze sessions in through the day.

21. Post
    Gave the game a chance. Was boring as expected

22. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Can you post an educational reply for those who are ignorant? Doesn’t have to be extravagant, just a few explanatory points.
    Sure.

There are a few different things at play here. So it's important to explain how game dev works when dealing with MS, Sony, or both.
    Certification is an ongoing process and throughout latter development pre-certification builds are provided to the platform holders for testing. This includes stability, performance, and a vast list of other criteria a build need to be meet at the current stage of development. Submission builds then follow. These have more stringent criteria and platform holders can fail a build, and will provide reasons why. One absolute criteria is that the build must run on consumer grade hardware. For MS and Sony this means all of the SKUs, OG to Pro/X. In order for a developer/publisher to use the trademarks for Sony/Playstation and/or Microsoft/Xbox all of these criteria need to be met, or a clear path to meeting them demonstrated. That this means that any time any version of the game is shown that mentions the platform holder or the platform that build NEEDS to and has been shown to run on that platform. So when a game is demo'd, or shown it has to run on those platforms. It however may be running on another platform for that demonstration.

Which leads on the the next part. Demonstration builds are generally not complete builds because the game is not complete, and game development is not a linear process. Any number of systems, mechanics, and code maybe incomplete or may not even exist. Rigging and animation along with rendering pipelines are among the systems that are completed at the end of development as they resource hogs (both in terms of hardware, development and resources) and require a very different and vastly more complicated QA passes due to their complexity. For this reason demonstration builds tend to me custom built from what is available and generally is a bite sized portion of the game and its code. This smaller scope slice will then be polished and optimized as best it can be for the press and general audience to view. Because of this the optimisations can be very targeted and do not require to work outside of this defined and limited portion of the game. Ideally they would work as shown in the full game, but that may not be the case. Sometimes a solution/technology that works well for scene/location/scenario X will not work for Y, or any number of other variants and as a result needs to be changed, replaced, or removed.

A simple analogy here would be rock polishing. You can polish a single rock to a high mirror finish relatively easily, but a thousand rocks is much more difficult. They will very in size, shape, and composition, not to mention the exponentially higher number of them. The technique used for the single rock may not work for the other thousand, or is too labour intensive that using it would be too inefficient.

The intention is always for a game to look and perform as well as it can, but there is a very important reason why demo's, trailers, and vertical slices have a disclaimer stating something like "pre-alpha/beta" or "may not reflect final product" or something similar. The simple truth is for any number of reasons the final look for a game can differ from what was shown while the game was still being developed. In the vast majority of cases what a dev/publisher shows is the best representation of the game they can provide at that time. I am sure that there are cases of bullshots and doctored/dishonest footage being shown, but that is not the norm and in the case of the so-called downgrades over the last few years I do not think its ever been knowingly deceptive, and yes that includes The Division. Devs want the game to look like the versions they've demoed and that is the expectation from them, but the reality is that sometimes it's not possible for a multitude of reasons.

It's far more complex than what I've outlined above for a number of reasons, and sometimes massive changes need to happen right before the game ships. My own experience with console development has shown just how naive I was prior to experiencing it firsthand, and I spent countless hours researching it and speaking to friends in the industry about it mostly off the back of The Witcher 3 fallout in 2015.

23. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Gave the game a chance. Was boring as expected
    I've now played it on both ps4 and pc. PC def the way to play it, framerate too inconsistent otherwise, well it is inconsistent on PC too but at least doesn't drop to 20fps - jumps all over between 80 and 150 with no option to cap the framerate yet

Controls feel a bit smoother too, the menus and controls all felt a tad laggy but it's better with the mouse.

Not sure if bug but came across quite a few enemies that would just dissapear into thin air and some enemies that would just stand still and not shoot back

The one things that had impressed me in both versions of the game is the sound, it's damn good

I don't know yet if I can classify it as boring, haven't played enough but it hasn't gripped me like the destiny 2 demo did, that's for sure. It also has a more generic art style that I'm not digging.

I was either going to be playing this or division 2 as my go to mmo shooter this year, but for now Anthem is off my list for consideration, it's not quite my thing and I would also have preferred if I did play it to do so on ps4 and unfortunately it just doesn't run like it should

ChrisB wrote:
    So you condone the deceptive practices of the games industry, got it - not surprising
    I'll start reading your posts again when you are impartial

24. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Oh get over yourself, you are correct so is Grim. They stated the reveal trailer was running on X1X, yet on the demo build that has had more "Optimization" than the reveal trailer still can't hit 30fps. What does that say bout the reveal trailer? It wasn't running on X1X.

Member the hate Sony got for changing the button layout in "claiming" the Anthem footage was from a PS Build as everybody knew PS4:P wouldn't match the "X1X" footage that was shown? Well it wasn't even X1X footage...

Also you don't need to take away features for optimization, give users the option to turn on and off effects at least on PC. Watchdogs, really did get a massive downgrade even the assets still were in the game, a modder just had to turn the effects back on..

A downgrade is a downgrade when they show off the game, running smooth but when it comes out it looks worse & fps is worse or similar on the "same hardware" that they stated they were running it on. I wouldn't even call that close to optimization, I'd say its the opposite / the publisher - developers are talking bs..

25. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    So you condone the deceptive practices of the games industry, got it - not surprising
    I'll start reading your posts again when you are impartial
    Deceptive?
    Learn to read you muppet. Same for Spike. You both sound like deluded Flat-Earthers so fixated on your ignorant bullshit that reality has no place.
    And the very notion of Grim even understanding the word impartial is hilarious, let alone claiming someone else lacks being it.

I explained the reason, but you again just cannot not grasp reality and instead use your own limited understanding as the lens you look through. No one is surprised, of anyone here you are the one who's' said some of the dumbest things here on many occasions.