Page 2 of 9 First 12345 ... Last

1. Post
    haha, I hate picture disks

2. Post
    I have a few records, but easily my favorite is Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes on Soviet-red vinyl. (My bid on eBay was enough, though it is not on the wall with Tubthumper and the Battle of Los Angeles).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TETA.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	209795

3. Post
    That's cool!

I really like the red used, same goes for the couple of red ones I have, one is transparent, other solid, but neither are *that* red haha

This payday I'm pretty on top of things, and went a bit crazy on the purchases, later this week I will have LP's coming for Powerwolf, Code Elektro, Bit Trip (indie game soundtrack) and the Far cry 3 Blood Dragon Soundtrack, and still have a heap on the list of "to get" so they can wait for a while haha

4. Post
    Bit Trip one arrived today

5. Post
    There is a Kickstarter run going for the Original Hotline Miami soundtrack on vinyl if anyone is interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-edition-vinyl

6. Post
    This Arrived for me today

7. Post
    And the courier stopped by again today

8. Post
    All I got recently was Magrudergrind and Bongripper.

Attached Images

9. Post
    How's Sweden going friend?

10. Post
    What's peoples opinion on buying new vinyl that is transferred from a digital source as opposed to analog?

11. Post
    My flight is April 1st so I'm still bumming around at home. I only started packing ages ago because I had to move from my apartment.

12. Post
    ErAd wrote:
    What's peoples opinion on buying new vinyl that is transferred from a digital source as opposed to analog?
    Most of the stuff I have bought is probably like that from the get go, all digital before getting pressed onto vinyl, I don't notice anything different?

Or are you meaning say a recording from the 80's that was analog when put onto vinyl, and then 2 weeks ago a digital remaster gets put onto a re press run of the same album?

13. Post
    My one and only set of vinyls came with the deluxe hardbook edition of Dead End Kings. Just preordered a similar edition for their upcoming album The Fall of Hearts, so it won't be alone for much longer.

14. Post
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    vinyls
    I will end you.

15. Post
    Did anyone manage to get the Neurosis box set? Was tempted but way expensive.

16. Post
    ErAd wrote:
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    Most of the stuff I have bought is probably like that from the get go, all digital before getting pressed onto vinyl, I don't notice anything different?

Or are you meaning say a recording from the 80's that was analog when put onto vinyl, and then 2 weeks ago a digital remaster gets put onto a re press run of the same album?
    Actually I may have learned something new about this today in talking with a friend, Ill pass on what he said and Id be interested to see what people think of it:

"A funny tidbit I was just reading with CDs and hard drives etc
    The rotational speed varies depending where it's reading from, so it's a constant data rate
    ie, CDs go faster on the inside to keep the datastream consistent
    Vinyl can't do that - as a result it's actually dropping audio resolution near the centre of the record

Of all people it was ****ing Neil Young who wrote an article about it
    He's older than dirt so recalls that back in the day, people would argue about what songs went on the start of a side - because they would sound better"

I replied saying "that would make sense, you would want the hit songs or whatever first, as they are popular, but as you point out, will sound better too being on the outside"

The next bit of his conversation was:

"Another thing that was noted,is that back in the day CD's were mastered using Vinyl masters,

So audio quality was arse since it was all tuned for the idiosyncrasies of vinyl, not the 100% accuracy of CD's.

Now they're making vinyls from CD masters - opposite problem - the vinyl can't physically play back the accurate master from the CD"

I think that was quite interesting, as I have been subject to a few people who will go on about how amazing vinyl is as a format, and how it would kick a CD's ass for fidelity etc, - It very well might! but these same people also neglect to say their turntable and entertainment system for playing vinyl COSTS TWENTY GRAND - any slight improvements they might see or hear are totally lost on me, my uncivilised hearing, and my $250 set of desktop speakers and turntable combo

This discussion was also brought up as I saw this article:
    http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016...ome-a-reality/

Where the plan is to have Vinyls "cut" with laser inscription rather than the current pressing system that goes back to the 60's, with this new tech supposedly being able to make better sound quality, slightly longer playtime per side, a much faster production rate, yet 100% compatible with all turntables ever

Personally I'm not worried about the supposed improvements in sound quality, the cool part is the manufacturing time being cut in half if not more, Ive got a couple of pre orders in place at the moment that could be ready to go, but they are in a long queue at the pressing plant simply waiting their turn to get done, get a test print done, try again if it fails, on and on until its sorted and shipped in 3 months or so, with the new tech there wouldn't need to be test prints and so on, making the whole process much more efficient, which I think is cool

17. Post
    you can get special table arms to help the inside tracks sound better. I find it more noticeable on some albums rather than others, probably due to pressing quality

18. Post
    Hmmm

A local HiFi shop is selling their last pair of Pioneer PL-30-K Turntables for $600 each, to me that's a shit load of money, but also they are apparently pretty awesome tables, and would wipe the floor with my poverty pack Aiwa that doesn't even have a replaceable needle as far as I am aware

Plus they look awesome in all black:

But $600, Not sure If I can part with that much cash at the moment

19. Post
    They can be had for cheaper than $600;
    http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and...turntable.html
    (has been as low as $520)

Oh, and that album, The Nighfly, by Donald Fagan from Steely Dan, is really good.

20. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    They can be had for cheaper than $600;
    http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and...turntable.html
    (has been as low as $520)

Oh, and that album, The Nighfly, by Donald Fagan from Steely Dan, is really good.
    Oh nice, HN eh, Might look them up tomorrow and see if they have one in stock too

And with a recommendation like that, Ill look up that album too

21. Post
    Frederick James wrote:

+1 My Dad used to listen to it all the time when I was a kid.

22. Post
    Had this arrive, Links only as probably NSFW artwork

Perturbator's Dangerous Days in Blood Red - not 100% happy with it, its dog eared slightly in the corners, but other than that its perfect and plays without problem, for the price I paid, and the general unavailability of the Blood Red edition I'm willing to overlook the issue

http://iforce.co.nz/i/mlaknqzw.uqs.jpg
    http://iforce.co.nz/i/gdxbv4ie.t3g.jpg
    http://iforce.co.nz/i/fohrhiq5.uke.jpg

23. Post
    Hey Mac, this is on special at the moment;
    http://shop.jbhifi.co.nz/hi-fi-home-...e-silver/86154

Damnit .... turntable ..... new watch ..... games ...... too much stuff, not enough money!

Have a Google Picture Search of the Lords of Acid's "Voodoo You" album for a NSFW cover

24. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Hey Mac, this is on special at the moment;
    http://shop.jbhifi.co.nz/hi-fi-home-...e-silver/86154

Damnit .... turntable ..... new watch ..... games ...... too much stuff, not enough money!
    Ooooooh! also shit! That looks cool, Ill keep an eye on it as I don't quite have the money to throw at a turntable now, Probably a good thing the Pioneers I spoke of earlier all sold out, even the ones at Harvey Norman were gone, After April finshes, and Maiden and Sabbath are done I can start looking again - I may need to do something sooner rather than later too as my current one is being a bit insolent, you hit the start buton, it raises and moves the arm, drops it on the record, and then goes HAH! NOPE! and returns to the dock and turns off, sometimes it takes 5 goes to get a record to play

Frederick James wrote:
    Have a Google Picture Search of the Lords of Acid's "Voodoo You" album for a NSFW cover
    Hahahaha, That is excellent!

The other reason I cant suddenly splurge on a new table is this bundle of lens flare:

In the white it was quite hard to find, and pricey as a result, perhaps I should lay off the actual record buying for a while to get the better table haha

25. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    In the white it was quite hard to find, and pricey as a result, perhaps I should lay off the actual record buying for a while to get the better table haha
    Looks mean.

Definitely upgrade your table ASAP - sounds like you already have enough records to keep you going.

I'm totally torn about the whole turntable thing. I have a very decent setup, and $344 for that Projekt is a great price. I even have the perspex with which to make a nice cover for it. But it's going to mean getting a collection going, which also means disappearing cash.

I guess i could raid my bro-in-laws collection, he has said i am welcome to it. I'm also concerned about offending him, you know, 2000 records, and i'm keen on 3. Although the law of averages says i'll snag more than that, but i don't think there'll be anything newer than the mid-80's (when CD's came out), although that may also not be a bad thing.

I know, maybe i should go round, check out what he has, pick some albums, see what he wants for them (if anything) and then take it from there. I'll probably only buy properly iconic records, well, iconic to me anyway.

I'm doing my best to convince myself here!