1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    i mean, as long as it's outpacing the 360 MS should be happy. The only people who care about numbah 1 are armchair analysts who are tinged with console warz and the KND

3. Post
    darc9999 wrote:
    i mean, as long as it's outpacing the 360 MS should be happy. The only people who care about numbah 1 are armchair analysts who are tinged with console warz and the KND
    Its outpacing sure, but the projections are that the global audience has increased at a rate higher than the pick up rate for MS. Sony seems to be keep pace with it, and is potentially even above the curve. Nintendo... well thats a flatline in almost every way.

Also success is relative, the comparisons need to be made or there would be no growth. Growth is what drives these companies to produce their products, and the lower shelf price of the unit must be somewhat of a sore spot as well. Manufacture costs may be slightly lower, but marketing and distribution costs have increased, so even with a massive increase in raw sales numbers the profit margins are likely to be far less than MS wants, or would have expected, This is based off a few discussion I've had with people who understand this far better than I do, but the general gist is that sales are strong, but not as strong as they needed to be to hit their targets, and the cuts in retail price and need for expanded marketing have hurt the bottom line is significant ways.

Remember though that the big earner for them is their cut of game sales and that's where they're hurting. Cross platform titles are likely to be sales for Sony or PC for anyone with the MS Box and one or both of the other major platforms. So a small number of exclusives must be hurting them a lot.

Obviously this is all speculation, but seems logical to me.