Results 1 to 14 of 14

  1. Post

    Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

    Read article...

  2. Post
    #2
    Great review Chris. I'm looking forward to playing the final chapter.

    My CE is sitting forlornly along with the mountain of other unplayed games in my collection. God knows when I'll have the time to play any of them.
    Last edited by InvisibleShadow; 20th November 2015 at 4:33 pm. Reason: Spelling

  3. Post
    #3
    Its fantastic! Very tempted to replay the whole campaign from WoL to LotV.

  4. Post
    #4
    Hmmm, I was unable to deduct where did that high score come from based on the review.

    I personally was disappointed with Starcraft 2 when it first came out, being a huge SC1/Brood War fan and a long time Battlenet dweller.
    Pretty much it was like going to Fallout 3 after Fallout 1 and 2.

    Is this expansion really pulling all the deficiencies up and above from the initial release with the Terran campaign?

  5. Post
    #5
    I can not comment on your interpretation of what I wrote. Personally I feel I've explained myself. You own experiences with the previous entries are your own and I cant comment on what you perceived as deficiencies their either, because I have no idea. There have been 2 expansions and a number of patches since release, so a lot has changed.
    I liked WoL a lot. I like HotS more, and I adore LotV. It has a more SC1/BW feel about it.

  6. Post
    #6
    ChrisB wrote:
    There have been 2 expansions and a number of patches since release, so a lot has changed.
    I liked WoL a lot. I like HotS more, and I adore LotV. It has a more SC1/BW feel about it.
    Thanks for a reply and for a review!

    Just to explain myself, many people saw SC2 loose on micro aspect in favour to macro, resulting in less highlights and variety BW was famous for.
    Some would argue BW is still the best esport RTS.

    I'm sure you didn't rate it high for no reason though, I imagine story is impossible to explain without spoilers.

  7. Post
    #7
    Fair enough, but as I said there is a lot more micro now, which leads to rush players not being as effective.

  8. Post
    #8
    bionic.man wrote:
    Hmmm, I was unable to deduct where did that high score come from based on the review.

    I personally was disappointed with Starcraft 2 when it first came out, being a huge SC1/Brood War fan and a long time Battlenet dweller.
    Pretty much it was like going to Fallout 3 after Fallout 1 and 2.

    Is this expansion really pulling all the deficiencies up and above from the initial release with the Terran campaign?
    Can't comment on the multiplayer, but the campaign, while fun, has a disappointing story. Very predictable cliched plot. I for one loved SC1 and bw for its complex story with backstabbing and politics, but LotV carries on the predictable story that I saw the ending to midway thru HotS. Blizzard storytelling really tanked since war3

  9. Post
    #9
    albusfr wrote:
    Can't comment on the multiplayer, but the campaign, while fun, has a disappointing story. Very predictable cliched plot. I for one loved SC1 and bw for its complex story with backstabbing and politics, but LotV carries on the predictable story that I saw the ending to midway thru HotS. Blizzard storytelling really tanked since war3
    Yeah, that's the message I've been getting from the SC/BW veterans.

    Seeing as I have battle chests on the shelf anyway, might try do a marathon during Xmas break.

  10. Post
    #10
    LOTV campaign has a disappointing story full of predictable cliches and a lame ending.

    There are also no "unique" missions like there were in Brood War, Warcraft III, and WoL. Every level is either "defend base until blah timed objective", "build up base and kill enemy bases", or "use these units to kill stuff". No tower defense levels. No DotA levels. No escort levels. No king of the hill levels. No stealth Deus Ex style levels.

    I can't comment on the multiplayer, but I expect it must be ridiculously good for you to give the game overall a 9.5, with such a disappointing campaign compared to WOL and HOTS.

  11. Post
    #11
    teelo7 wrote:
    There are also no "unique" missions like there were in Brood War, Warcraft III, and WoL. Every level is either "defend base until blah timed objective", "build up base and kill enemy bases", or "use these units to kill stuff". No tower defense levels. No DotA levels. No escort levels. No king of the hill levels. No stealth Deus Ex style levels.
    What?

    Not sure what game you played, but for me it felt like the exact opposite - it felt like only every other levels were base-building, and the rest were heavy-objective-driven missions with hero characters and little to nothing else.

    In fact I can only assume you are trolling at this point as there is literally a minimum of one of everything you said there's none of; tower defense style, escort, king of the hill, stealth. Literally everything.

  12. Post
    #12
    teelo7 wrote:
    LOTV campaign has a disappointing story full of predictable cliches and a lame ending.

    There are also no "unique" missions like there were in Brood War, Warcraft III, and WoL. Every level is either "defend base until blah timed objective", "build up base and kill enemy bases", or "use these units to kill stuff". No tower defense levels. No DotA levels. No escort levels. No king of the hill levels. No stealth Deus Ex style levels.

    I can't comment on the multiplayer, but I expect it must be ridiculously good for you to give the game overall a 9.5, with such a disappointing campaign compared to WOL and HOTS.

    Personally I throughly enjoyed the entire campaign. Sure there was some missteps (as I mentioned), but it was a satisfying ending as far as I am concerned, and yeah for the first time in over a decade I felt compelled to play online Starcraft matches for extended periods of time.

    Side note, perhaps folk had better replay SC1+BW before commenting on their "superior" story. I found them no better or worse that any part of the SCII trilogy, and I played them about 9 months ago.

  13. Post
    #13
    iRoN wrote:
    What?

    Not sure what game you played, but for me it felt like the exact opposite - it felt like only every other levels were base-building, and the rest were heavy-objective-driven missions with hero characters and little to nothing else.

    In fact I can only assume you are trolling at this point as there is literally a minimum of one of everything you said there's none of; tower defense style, escort, king of the hill, stealth. Literally everything.
    Don't know what game you played. Wings of Liberty was a BIT like that, but HOTS and LOTV were really stale.

    Side note, perhaps folk had better replay SC1+BW before commenting on their "superior" story.
    I did, actually. SC1+BW was full of betrayal, with multiple sides, getting to actually play as every side. LOTV turned the story into a WoW-style "the players are the good guys" bullshit.

  14. Post
    #14
    Is it just me or does it seem like there is zero hype for this game? I guess that happens when you stretch the whole thing out over 5 years?