1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    My question is, Are they going to smack the hammer down on people doing it in single player? If people are doing it online, sure ban away, but I don't want to get nuked online just cause I want it to rain cats and tanks in single player

3. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    My question is, Are they going to smack the hammer down on people doing it in single player? If people are doing it online, sure ban away, but I don't want to get nuked online just cause I want it to rain cats and tanks in single player
    I would be shocked if they did this for single player, considering the extra work it would take and the backlash it would create, it wouldn't be worth their time.

4. Post
    Well Rockstar, if you're going to ban the FOV fix...

FIX THE ****ING FOV YOURSELVES.

5. Post
    havent used any mods yet because of this lol.

they are banning people making mods to the game playing online. extra fov gives a clear advantage online

6. Post
    knew this would happen.

7. Post
    Lets not confuse the meaning of the word mod vs hack in this context. modifying the state of memory objects at run time is most definitely a hack.

8. Post
    Its good they are banning people for using mods online but if they did it for single player that would be sad

9. Post
    Xev wrote:
    Well Rockstar, if you're going to ban the FOV fix...

FIX THE ****ING FOV YOURSELVES.
    that would require either a: effort on the part of rockstar, or b: that they gave a shit about pc gamers or the pc release of the game. I think you can see the problem here... rockstar isn't remotely interested in either option.

10. Post
    chiv wrote:
    that would require either a: effort on the part of rockstar, or b: that they gave a shit about pc gamers or the pc release of the game. I think you can see the problem here... rockstar isn't remotely interested in either option.
    Ummm pretty sure they give a shit about the PC release as they called it "the definitive version". Just because the FOV is not what you want, doesn't mean they don't give a shit. From what I've heard they've done a great job on the PC release so maybe tone down a bit on the petulance dude

11. Post
    chiv wrote:
    I dunno about this dude... this port reeks of caring.

I can understand banning due to FoV 'enhancement' in GTAO...but really, shouldn't they patch in a better FoV slider for everyone just to save the backlash?

12. Post
    Could someone translate this?

A FOV mod would inject the game's memory the same way a trainer does.

13. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Could someone translate this?
    In order to change the FOV, the current "mod" seems to modify objects already loaded into memory, rather than creating a standard config change.

Modifying memory objects is typically how you hack games. There is no reason you couldn't modify other things already in memory such as health, items, etc.

14. Post
    Yeah, haven't done mods yet because of this.

Knew of a ton of people exploiting money bug online. Using cheat engine to change cars value to 999,999 and selling it.

15. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    In order to change the FOV, the current "mod" seems to modify objects already loaded into memory, rather than creating a standard config change.

Modifying memory objects is typically how you hack games. There is no reason you couldn't modify other things already in memory such as health, items, etc.
    Chur

16. Post
    I used cheat engine on the stock exchange in single player, hope they don't ban me for that or I will be demanding a refund.
    (because I was fed up waiting for stocks to recover, and they seem to be fixed to drop to nothing at end of game).

17. Post
    PRiME wrote:
    I used cheat engine on the stock exchange in single player, hope they don't ban me for that or I will be demanding a refund.
    (because I was fed up waiting for stocks to recover, and they seem to be fixed to drop to nothing at end of game).
    Why don't games have typed in cheat codes anymore? What people do in single player doesn't hurt anyone.

Same thing happened with Starcraft 2 when it came out. All previous games had cheat codes, new one "download a trainer/hack". Often these same hacks then get used for multiplayer.

Devs are essentially creating the demand for trainers/hacks themselves.

18. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    My question is, Are they going to smack the hammer down on people doing it in single player?
    Developers now have this option in Steam