Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

The Bard's Tale IV - InXile's latest RPG

Ya know how InXile were teasing another return of a classic RPG? They've just announced The Bard's Tale IV.
    've never played this series so I can't comment at all.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-bards-tale-iv-announced/

We'll see how the Kickstarter goes. They probably would've won over a lot of people with Wasteland 2.

2. Post
    hmmm some of the Bards tales were pretty meh tbh... but it was so long ago, i dont actually remember specifics..

3. Post
    Whenever I think of Bards Tale I think of this intro

4. Post
    Played all 3 BT's and at the time (long, long, long time ago) loved them.

It's easy to slap a well known name onto a reboot but then making it awesome is a different truffle altogether.

Remember also playing Wizardry 2 - Knights of Diamonds, Ultima 2 & 3 around that time.

Load times? Frame-rate? What are these words?

5. Post
    i still revisit BT1 every now and then, managed to keep my original characters all this time as well from 20+ years ago which adds to the nostalgic feel. would love a new addition to the series.....

6. Post
    Bards are the worst class ever. "Oh I'm getting into combat, please let me sing you the song of my people"

Even on lawful good characters I wanna kill them.

7. Post
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-bards-tale-iv
    Kickstarter campaign has begun. Pledge within the first 24 hours and receive a free game from a selection of Wasteland 2, Witcher 1 or Witcher 2.

8. Post
    Greshark wrote:
    Bards are the worst class ever. "Oh I'm getting into combat, please let me sing you the song of my people"

Even on lawful good characters I wanna kill them.
    so much this!

9. Post
    Have to be honest...Bards Tale was never my thing. Don't like Bards, and don't really like dungeon crawlers (except the underworld games)

10. Post
    Backed! inXile continuing to bring back the classics! Although this unlike the previous 2 KS games looks to diverge dramatically from the originals (mechanically). I have faith, and those original mechanics have not aged at all well.

11. Post
    put in my 2 cents.. err actually a lot more but why not, dungeon crawlers is fun

12. Post
    Backed here too. Boxed edition to go with the torment collectors, POE & WL2

13. Post
    Mikos wrote:
    Backed here too. Boxed edition to go with the torment collectors, POE & WL2
    Great minds!

14. Post
    Backing this, not sure how much.

Liked the old dungeon crawlers back in the day.

15. Post
    DANG!!!!!
    That is a lot of perdy!

16. Post
    I'll cut them some slack (being that they are an indy developer trying to get this funded through Kickstarter) but what is up with this trend of late of showing in-engine footage instead of in-game?

Seems a somewhat disingenuous way to build up hype to me, with what is essentially an Unreal Engine 4 tech demo in this case.

17. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    I'll cut them some slack (being that they are an indy developer trying to get this funded through Kickstarter) but what is up with this trend of late of showing in-engine footage instead of in-game?

Seems a somewhat disingenuous way to build up hype to me, with what is essentially an Unreal Engine 4 tech demo in this case.
    WTF? There is no game. They are literally seeking funding to make it. There is no game. None. Zip. Nil. Nada. This was made to show what can be done in the engine, and their idea of what the game WILL hopefully look like. Because, again there is no game to show. They are in pre-production. This was made specifically for the Kickstarter campaign to show that they are capable of producing a game of this type and quality.

18. Post
    Which is why I said i'd cut them some slack in this case - more querying why the big companies are doing this also.

The problem I see with them showing it like this, is a lot of people don't get the difference between in-engine and in-game footage and it leads to them potentially getting an unrealistic impression of what the final product may look like.

19. Post
    Cut them some slack for what? Your post makes no sense. You complain about something that was literally impossible for them to do? You then call them disingenuous for doing it.
    They are trying to get funding to make a game, are clear that the video is in-engine, and somehow you take umbrage with it? What else could they have done?

You second point bears no relation to the first. Apple/Oranges man.

20. Post
    You're not getting my point, that a lot of people don't know the difference between in-engine and in-game footage - it doesn't matter that they've stated that it is in-engine.

By cutting them some slack, I meant i'm aware they have limited options for generating interest in a pre-production game and this is one method they could use to do it, I just don't think it is the best way given my above point.

21. Post
    No, by saying you're cutting them some slack is saying that you think that they have done something wrong, but that its at least partially ok. Its completely OK. 100% acceptable.
    It is the best way, as its the ONLY way they can show off what they can do with the tech they are making the game with.

Again, what you're saying makes no sense in this context. I get your issue with in-engine footage. It just does not apply here at all.

22. Post
    Holy 3 years and counting necro: seems it's looking pretty damn great and I must say, the sense of humor is making me want to play this for sure

Odd stretch goal ahoy: Brian Fargo will try and buy back Interplay if it sells really well: nostalgia nuevo ahoy!

23. Post
    2 million copies sold in 18 months is a tough ask to be sure for such a niche game with a "IV" in it's title. Probably more of an advertising ploy. I believe Wasteland 2 has around US$13 million in sales so far. Possibly the rumored Wasteland VR game might reach 2 million units due to it's wider appeal and InXile's proven track record in VR so far.

24. Post
    Is VR taking off?

I don't know anyone with any form of VR setup...but then again, most of my mates aren't 'proper' gamers (aka Madden/NBA2K types) so there's that.

I need a dedicated games room in my next whare, then that'll be VR/AR ready proper

25. Post
    IST wrote:
    Odd stretch goal ahoy: Brian Fargo will try and buy back Interplay if it sells really well: nostalgia nuevo ahoy!
    Lets all hope it never sells that many that fast then. Or do people really have that short of a memory?
    The reason Interplay failed. The reason Black Isle died. The reason Fallout is now a shooter RPG lite falls solely at the feet of Brian Fargo.
    His gross mismanagement lead to the demise of Interplay. The attempted bailouts, and knee-jerk development and publishing mistakes. He might not have been at the helm when it sunk but he laid the course and jumped ship before it floundered.
    Keep that incompetent away from the Interplay name. Let it rest in peace.