Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    GaR wrote:

It's hard to imagine a person being stupid enough to actually think that, so I'll assume you're being deliberately obtuse.

It's about the way we use language. Actual rape is not an issue here, as you yourself said, so don't pretend that's what I'm talking about.
    Well his first post in this thread was defending what the guy said so you can't expect much.

2. Post
    $kud wrote:
    lame way to win a match tbh, because it was the only way she knew she could win was by bringing this up, i hope she gets raped in her next match

not literally of course
    Jesus

3. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Well his first post in this thread was defending what the guy said so you can't expect much.
    True. I'd about decided to give this one up anyway.

4. Post
    Viilai wrote:
    This is the most irrelevant article I've ever seen. Gamers use the R word to depict severely beating an opponent all the time. If this guy is a pro gamer, then presumably the girl he's playing against is too? There's no way she'd be shocked at hearing that. You can barely go 5 minutes in any PVP game without hearing someone use it.

I detest it's use in any outside context, so I'm hardly saying it's OK - and it isn't - but why are they singling out a single person?

Smells like some bull****.
    I was mostly impressed with the article responses until I saw this one. I imagine she'd be shocked to hear it, because she's meant to be in a professional league, with presumably professional players. Professional gives the implication that this is their job.
    Is it okay to walk up to a female employee and say 'I'm going to rape you.' in the field you work in? in any case. This should NEVER have been the norm. Why are you trying to lessen the impact this has, by trying to claim 'Well it's just one of those things.' You're part of the problem! There is a MASSIVE problem with online gaming, and the language used toward others, particularly women. Awhile back there was a movement I signed up to, targeted at male players, which I signed up to, promising NEVER to use this foul idiom, no matter how 'common place' it is. It was once common place to treat black people as less than human. Does that make it right? Should it have changed?
    Is this really how we want the male to be thought of? Someone who derides women, saying they're going to rape them, or attack their families? There is a war going on right now against female developers for example. My partner is a talented programmer, and wants to program games but is too scared, to, given this war. Talented female devs make games, and try to get them out there and get death threats, rape threats, threats against their families. They get DRIVEN OUT OF THEIR HOUSES, and you wonder why this pro was disqualified? It's rare I use this term, and I hate it but it applies in this case. CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE.

5. Post
    ^Good post is good

6. Post
    i heard far worst on the cricket field tbh, Hell the sledging is pretty intense , Glen Mcgrath was famous with his sledging but he really took offence when the various opponents started going on regarding his wife's battle with cancer, coming close to blows.

i will be honest, i do not have a problem with the sledging at all, what pro players say to each other to upset, tune up or focus their aggression towards another player, is fine by me, after all physical intimidation of opponents is allowed in many sports. The non physical approach here just means players should be allowed to psyche out their opponents verbally etc. What about sportsmanship? well that depends on the individual, in any case in all sports having both sides makes for a better environment overall imho. the gentlemen of the game are made better by the villains
    Last edited by Bloody; 28th November 2014 at 3:02 pm.

7. Post
    lol he thought he was raping her units but instead the feminists raped him

8. Post
    wow really? She said it was "scary" she doesnt belong in the gaming world. There is a difference between someone literally raping you and saying it in game. Im a girl and I say it all the time. Doesnt mean im going to go to someones house and sexually abuse someone. =/

9. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    What's the point you are trying to make here?

Huh?
    If you cant understand what they are implying, then we cant really help you lol Its pretty self explanatory. Many things are truly one sided. I do feel bad for guys sometimes =/

10. Post
    I don't think anyone is confused about the semantics. The point is that it's not okay to keep using the term. I know someone who has been raped, and it's pretty cringeworthy when people keep using the term around her so casually.

11. Post
    Rubbly wrote:
    wow really? She said it was "scary" she doesnt belong in the gaming world. There is a difference between someone literally raping you and saying it in game. Im a girl and I say it all the time. Doesnt mean im going to go to someones house and sexually abuse someone. =/
    Ah, the old "it doesn't bother me so it shouldn't bother anyone" line.

Always super effective.

12. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Ah, the old "it doesn't bother me so it shouldn't bother anyone" line.

Always super effective.
    lol

"But IIII'MMMM not offended"

13. Post
    Wtf lol!

14. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    i heard far worst on the cricket field tbh, Hell the sledging is pretty intense , Glen Mcgrath was famous with his sledging but he really took offence when the various opponents started going on regarding his wife's battle with cancer, coming close to blows.

i will be honest, i do not have a problem with the sledging at all, what pro players say to each other to upset, tune up or focus their aggression towards another player, is fine by me, after all physical intimidation of opponents is allowed in many sports. The non physical approach here just means players should be allowed to psyche out their opponents verbally etc. What about sportsmanship? well that depends on the individual, in any case in all sports having both sides makes for a better environment overall imho. the gentlemen of the game are made better by the villains
    I can kind of understand your position here, but in reference to the cricket sledging, that was always restricted to the field and not the public arena.

Also the whole "I r guna rape u" on twitter thing is a touchy topic lately due to toxic filth being spewed forth from the GamerGate hordes, so a line had to be drawn.

To draw on your comparison with cricket it would almost be like a bowler saying to a batsman that he is going to hit him in the head with a bouncer and kill him. A few months ago that would raise a few eyebrows, but now so close after the tragic death of Phil Hughes, a comment like that would get you suspended without a doubt

15. Post
    I did not attempt to 'lessen the impact' at all, rather to redirect to the cause of the issue. To me, this individual is of zero consequence and I don't give a damn about him.

He was singled out for it, and that was the point I was making. The problem is bigger than he is.

You have to be ****ing dumb if you think I'm mitigating this in any way.

Stop failing at the internet, people.

16. Post
    MockStar wrote:
    I can kind of understand your position here, but in reference to the cricket sledging, that was always restricted to the field and not the public arena.

Also the whole "I r guna rape u" on twitter thing is a touchy topic lately due to toxic filth being spewed forth from the GamerGate hordes, so a line had to be drawn.

To draw on your comparison with cricket it would almost be like a bowler saying to a batsman that he is going to hit him in the head with a bouncer and kill him. A few months ago that would raise a few eyebrows, but now so close after the tragic death of Phil Hughes, a comment like that would get you suspended without a doubt
    IRRC the Australian captain was telling Jimmy Anderson who kept sparing the bouncers away to " Prepare to get your arm broken " as Anderson had a odd technique of raising his arm to stop the bouncers. Yeah it is pretty ****ing rich from the Aussies tbh, they would not shy away from hitting another player in the head or face. I guess it is all fun and games until one of your own gets killed with a bouncer eh ?

again, i do not have a problem with it, it is a Pro scene, intimidation should be allowed. /shrug. I would laugh it off and tut tut an amateur game if it heard all the normal toxic verbal diarrhoea that comes out but again i got no issues if the pros get under each others skin .