1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    No ****ing thanks.

I could justify the 6th gen collections. I mean, we moved to a whole new standard of television set between Gen 6 and 7 with a whole new aspect ratio and a dramatically improved resolution - meaning played on newer sets not only would they be muddy as heck, but stretched too. The HD Collections last gen basically just collected a bunch of old games and brought them up to the newer standard and I'm totally okay with it.

But this? This is just ridiculous. We're getting one game that was Multi-Plat to begin with (In other words, we've already played this in 1080p on PC!) that was already in HD resolutions and already in widescreen, likely with a very minor facelift and some of the DLC, slapped on a disc and sold at full retail price.

Now don't get me wrong, Sleeping Dogs was a good game that I really enjoyed. But this has to be some kind of joke.

(PS: I bet this is why the Xboner and PS4 have no backwards compatibility at all this time around. Holla holla get dollas.)

3. Post
    Why is this a bad thing? For someone who hasn't played the game, if its a good game and they have a PS4, they can choose to buy it.

4. Post
    Xev wrote:
    (PS: I bet this is why the Xboner and PS4 have no backwards compatibility at all this time around. Holla holla get dollas.)
    Are you for real? Completely different architectures:- both PS4/XB1 use x86 instruction set CPUs; PS3 uses Cell and 360 uses a PowerPC CPU with similar ancestry to Cell.

If they did emulation, it'd probably be as patchy as 360's of oXbox games. EDIT: And those early model PS3s like the 60GB SKU that had PS2 backward compatibility depended on having actual PS2 hardware inside the console (eg the Emotion Engine CPU).
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 16th June 2014 at 6:39 pm.

5. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Are you for real? Completely different architectures:- both PS4/XB1 use x86 instruction set CPUs; PS3 uses Cell and 360 uses a PowerPC CPU with similar ancestry to Cell.

If they did emulation, it'd probably be as patchy as 360's of oXbox games. EDIT: And those early model PS3s like the 60GB SKU that had PS2 backward compatibility depended on having actual PS2 hardware inside the console (eg the Emotion Engine CPU).
    The NZ launch SKUs had a software-based emulator, not a Hardware one.

6. Post
    Xev wrote:
    But this? This is just ridiculous. We're getting one game that was Multi-Plat to begin with (In other words, we've already played this in 1080p on PC!) that was already in HD resolutions and already in widescreen, likely with a very minor facelift and some of the DLC, slapped on a disc and sold at full retail price.
    Not to mention they can't handle the existing version without turning things down, so not sure what they hope to achieve beyond marketing. Maybe it'll be one of those remasters like tomb raider where they max out the contrast and saturation to blow everything out to the extreme. Then the details no longer matter because you can barely see anything.

7. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:

Yes, I am aware that the launch PS3's had Emotion Engines in them. I'm also aware that Xbox 360's had software emulation of the original Xbox which was as patchy as ****. Later PS3's had software emulation, even the slim models had the software emulator (except that they were restricted from playing physical discs and only allowed to play 'PS2 Classics' bought from PSN.) The Wii was capable of running Gamecube games because its hardware was near identical to the Gamecube in the first place.

So, above we've seen 3 different forms of backwards compatibility. The fact that the new consoles have different architecture simply rules out the Wii's brand of backwards compatibility. I'd also argue that the CPU's in the new consoles wouldn't have a chance in hell of managing 7th Gen software emulation. But Hardware emulation was still entirely possible and skipped over. Sure, you could argue that it was to keep the costs down, after all sticking a CPU from the previous console generation in the new console is sure to shoot the price up - it's an entirely valid argument and probably a big part of the reason for the decision. But you can't deny that Sony and Microsoft, Sony especially, made an absolute boatload off the HD Collections. And by disallowing the use of retail PS2 discs on the newer gen PS3's, they could then push the 'enhanced' ports even more.

All I'm trying to say is HD Collections are a cash-grab, and a good argument against backwards compatibility from their perspective - regardless of whether they were going to do it or not. Hell, if I were Sony, I wouldn't either - what better way to sell people sloppy ports of games they already have? Cha-ching.

lumpy custard wrote:
    Not to mention they can't handle the existing version without turning things down, so not sure what they hope to achieve beyond marketing. Maybe it'll be one of those remasters like tomb raider where they max out the contrast and saturation to blow everything out to the extreme. Then the details no longer matter because you can barely see anything.
    Well, my old PC had approx 1100GFLOPS of graphics processing performance and it couldn't max Sleeping Dogs in 1080p. They'd be pushing it to get it running on Ultra on the Xbox One (Approx 1300GFLOPS iirc) as is, they wouldn't have any room for upgrades without cutting the resolution back - and then what's the bloody point? The PS4 on the otherhand will cope I'm sure, but there still won't be room for big upgrades - small things here and there maybe.

8. Post
    There's been like 200 hundred (100) comments in this thread, surely the fact that remasters are the same game sold twice due to an intentional lack of backwards compatibility in consoles has been raised?

These sick **** business tactics have given me fourth degree cynicism. Just give me the ****er again free or don't trick me. I hate you all.

Love you guys,

Cynicisman