Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Hoaah shit, I had thought that was intentional/paid for? LOL

3. Post
    Undeniably similar for sure. I actually thought she was the voice actor at first.

4. Post
    I thought it was legit that they used her likeness.

Thought she was all the rage with her being in Beyond Two Souls as well.

5. Post
    I thought she was working on both games O_o

6. Post
    When Beyond: Two Souls was announced Naughty Dog made it a big deal that they had changed Ellie's appearance to resemble Ellen Page less. It was obvious to anyone with a working set of eyes that they hadn't put much effort in and/or had done a poor job of this.

7. Post
    Graphics in games are actually getting to the point where this sort of thing actually matters.

8. Post
    Ellie resembles Ellen Page more as compared to the "actual" her in Beyond Two Souls.

9. Post
    Resemblance doesn't mean shit if it's not playing off the goodwill or reputation of the likeness it's attached to (treading some thin ice using the name "Ellie" though). Ellen page doesn't hold the exclusive rights of looking "physically" that way, but she does have a significant reputation attached to that look in which if played on she could pursue a remedy for a tort of passing off. It's certainly an interesting area of law that for the most part (at least in NZ/UK) has been untested for digital content.

10. Post
    seanhinton wrote:
    Resemblance doesn't mean shit if it's not playing off the goodwill or reputation of the likeness it's attached to (treading some thin ice using the name "Ellie" though). Ellen page doesn't hold the exclusive rights of looking "physically" that way, but she does have a significant reputation attached to that look in which if played on she could pursue a remedy for a tort of passing off. It's certainly an interesting area of law that for the most part (at least in NZ/UK) has been untested for digital content.
    Well she didn't suggest legal action. She just said she's annoyed the character looks like her (which is undeniable)

11. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Well she didn't suggest legal action. She just said she's annoyed the character looks like her (which is undeniable)
    It also looks like hundreds of other people that share that physical makeup.

12. Post

They redesigned her though, doesn't look as much as a ripoff...

13. Post
    Rockstar Games do this all the time.

GTA V's bikini girl looks like Kate Upton. But it was model Shelby Welinder that got the pay check.

14. Post
    Inb4 Americans start suing for likeness

15. Post
    well considering so many of you actually thought it WAS Ellen Paige , that is a reasonable assumption that she has a reason to be annoyed? not that it matters legally.

16. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Inb4 Americans start suing for likeness
    Ellen Page is CANADIAN.

17. Post
    That first version was a direct rip off Ellen Page. She could sue as they used her as the model without her consent. Anyone with a brain/eyes can figure out "ellie" is a riff of "ellen" and her features are all spot on, including the very 'Page' style haircut. Maybe the features are just coincidences but when you start hitting the likeness of her name and hairstyle, even clothes.

You aren't simply borrowing you are stealing.

18. Post
    Used to work in the model industry. This isn't legal.

Ellen is just a nice girl, most people would sue... she just says "i am annoyed"

19. Post
    pyronical wrote:

They redesigned her though, doesn't look as much as a ripoff...
    You see Ellie's nose is more rounded.

20. Post
    Frice wrote:
    That first version was a direct rip off Ellen Page. She could sue as they used her as the model without her consent. Anyone with a brain/eyes can figure out "ellie" is a riff of "ellen" and her features are all spot on, including the very 'Page' style haircut. Maybe the features are just coincidences but when you start hitting the likeness of her name and hairstyle, even clothes.

You aren't simply borrowing you are stealing.
    Ellie is short for Elizabeth.
    Calm your tits. Ellen Page looks like a million other girls thats why people like her so much

21. Post
    entensity wrote:
    Calm your tits. Ellen Page looks like a million other girls thats why people like her so much
    Someone wasn't listening to the "co-opting" and "branding" section in their Media Studies course.
    They are stealing her celebrity brand for their own profit. The only reason they aren't sued right now is because they changed everything.
    My previous point was about the original version where they clearly ripped her off.

22. Post
    entensity wrote:
    just going to leave this here as well

23. Post
    ^Thanks for ruining her for me.

24. Post
    darc9999 wrote:
    just going to leave this here as well

WHYYYY?!

25. Post
    after seeing that pic my first thought was ellie != ellen page