Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Phil Harris wrote:
    "A connection to the cloud doesn't necessarily have to be a very wide bandwidth. You could send data to the cloud, it can be processed and it can be sent back. That isn't something that necessarily requires the fastest, fibre-optic broadband.
    is it me or did he just confuse speed with datacaps? cause it looked like he completely missed the point about datacaps

3. Post
    It's not just you, he's missed the point entirely.

4. Post
    Or feigned confusion to dodge the question
    edit: granted, we don't see the actual question that was asked

5. Post
    Most of this sounds pretty exciting. NZ will obviously have a long wait to feel the full potential of X1 but it does sound promising. All the fanboys bagging on it are just childish, it'll still play games to an amazing standard just as the PS4 will. One question though. With all this reliance on the cloud storage, are we going to have to pay for the (what will no doubt be) GB plans?

6. Post
    If it doesn't need a lot of bandwidth, then logically that means it's not a lot of data, so I don't think he really dodged the question: the two concepts are intrinsically linked.

Although he did dodge it in the sense that his answer wasn't very illuminating. MS is being very light on details.

Based on what's been said about used games, it smells to me like some sort of phone-home DRM system.

7. Post
    ^ That was my impression too.

I'm wondering if the idea is that you can buy used games, but you'll still need to pay a discounted 'licence' type fee to register them on your xbox.

Sort of like how you could buy battlefield 3 second-hand, but you needed to pay EA an additional $10 to be able to play online.

8. Post
    i think right now theres way too many variable factors to guarantee alot of people either pre-orders or day one purchases for the Xbox One. At this point in time it looks like everyone is looking at E3 to be the deciding factor in what console they get

in any case this generation looks like its going to be quite the war

9. Post
    ^Nah, I think it'll be PS4 and PC then X1, with WiiU coming up at an undeniable last.

10. Post

11. Post
    "It is essential that we solve, for every country, as quickly as we can, a very compelling, localised, regionalised, culturally relevant entertainment option wherever you live, however you consume your TV. And that’s what we’re doing."

What the heck does that mean?

"quite simply, a dedicated gaming device just doesn’t cut it anymore."

Personally that's exactly what I want.

I don't give a crap about anything they've been touting about it so far. I just want something grunty to play games on. I'm getting a PS4.

12. Post
    "The games, it assures us, will feature prominently at E3 in June this year. But it was important to cement the Xbox One as a multifunctional, multimedia device at this early juncture because, quite simply, a dedicated gaming device just doesnt cut it anymore."

WHY?

Meanwhile the core gaming 3DS device is dominating the market.

Microsoft have effectively cut off their own audience to target another. They want to cater to people who want "things" rather than "games". This puts off the gamer userbase entirely, the proof is clear - http://uk.gamespot.com/twitter-battle/xbox-vs-ps4/

I'm not even going to explain further. This is just sad. Go on, tell a customer that their device requires an Internet connection or the majority of the features are cut out from their purchase. See how that goes.

13. Post
    This thing promises to do much of what the PS4 is offering and more. I just don't understand the outrage.

Wait til E3. If the games suck then fire away.

14. Post
    What scares me. Many years in the future when microsoft wants to retired the Xbox One servers, does that mean my Xbox One console will just be a big brick, and I won't be able to play any of my games?

What'll happen to the classic lan parties?

15. Post
    Eh, from what the question was to the answer, that is true. It's not like the console will necessarily send large data to the cloud, developers aren't so stupid(and they are the ones who will end up utilizing cloud features). We really don't know how cloud will work. Save games don't need to be large in size(if designed not to be). Total lack of information to arrive at the conclusion that Xbox One is dead on arrival because of that. I think the backlash against the "business" decisions on 2nd hand games and paying to use will be forced out. If the console isn't selling well they will yield to popular opinion, it's a business, profit is the most important thing. Pissing off the hardcore gamers to the point they lack the initial console sales to reach the point where the multi-media design will pay off is years off, would be insane to ignore reality and let your product languish and risk failure.
    Biggest thing against the console is the necessity of the kinect and it's auto-logging in. That could be really bad if it's misused(if they required you to be there to use the games). Again tho, not based on confirmed facts. I will wait, then go all negative after E3 if these aren't addressed. Most important thing, the most truthful thing that is available now prior to either console being shown working for real.
    Spoiler:

3dfx_ownd_joo wrote:
    What scares me. Many years in the future when microsoft wants to retired the Xbox One servers, does that mean my Xbox One console will just be a big brick, and I won't be able to play any of my games?

What'll happen to the classic lan parties?
    Yea this is a big problem long term. Only way around it is to make the servers/cloud for the next xbox compatible with the One(probably implement requirements of xbox live sub to keep it working, O_o ). MS is a software based company, hopefully that is more likely than it becoming a brick.

This thread and the general opinion on the console makes me reminisce about the 360's reveal. Second verse same as the first...

16. Post
    They're established enough to do this incorporation/shift now and it's clearly an intelligent choice to do so. All the whinging is hysterically amusing.

17. Post
    I like the sound of Game DVR.

Honestly at this point a console will never be my primary gaming platform so I'm only really looking at cool shit like Game DVR and the sort of crap they're highlighting currently anyway, lol.

Xbox One is winning for me, just 'cause it looks like it has a better controller and it has blu-ray, wewt.

18. Post
    TemptedNZ wrote:
    They're established enough to do this incorporation/shift now and it's clearly an intelligent choice to do so. All the whinging is hysterically amusing.
    [sarcasm]Yep all the outrage from their customers is a great sign of good business decisions.[/sarcasm]

19. Post
    you mean outrage from a small vocal minority

just like the COD games, all you hear is how shit it is, and how it's sold eleven billionty copies

I'm sure M$ will be happy with that result

20. Post
    "It won't be everywhere on the globe, day one; I'll be very clear about that. But we're committed to solving it.

I guarantee it won't be here by day 1138, and no I don't believe you're trying to solve it.

21. Post
    its_inevitable wrote:
    This thing promises to do much of what the PS4 is offering and more. I just don't understand the outrage.

22. Post
    its_inevitable wrote:
    I'm sure this was said from 2009 onwards. We're still waiting...

23. Post
    zippy wrote:
    you mean outrage from a small vocal minority

just like the COD games, all you hear is how shit it is, and how it's sold eleven billionty copies

I'm sure M$ will be happy with that result
    What minority? I haven't heard a single positive thing about the Xbox One from people who aren't game journalists, Xbox fanboys, Microsoft employees. Everyone else hates it.

24. Post
    Krichul wrote:
    What minority? I haven't heard a single positive thing about the Xbox One from people who aren't game journalists, Xbox fanboys, Microsoft employees. Everyone else hates it.
    This.

Then there is the Twitter battle you've post a couple of times now. 88% of respondents prefer the PS4 over the Xbox One. I'd hardly call that the minority.

25. Post
    I still can't believe they went with Xbox One for the name of this thing.

When I saw the "Microsoft unveils Xbox One" thread my first thought was "Oh they're doing a Sony and re-releasing a 'slim' version of the Xbox 1" and the only reason I looked inside the thread was to see what sort of design they went with.

Whoever thought that name up should be fired, seriously.