General Tech Chit Chat

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.89 average.
(9 votes)
Results 5,251 to 5,273 of 5273

1. Post
    Tried the gigabit tplink powerlines I brought the other week today. Junk, not impressed. Iím in a 2yr old house and the plan was to get the fibre from the garage to behind the tv which is one room away so can have all the entertainment stuff /nas etc on a switch. Iím on 100/20 fibre and one wifi I get that in the lounge, but with power line I only get 40/10 when moved. Expected better than that so will look at hard wiring instead.

2. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Tried the gigabit tplink powerlines I brought the other week today. Junk, not impressed. Iím in a 2yr old house and the plan was to get the fibre from the garage to behind the tv which is one room away so can have all the entertainment stuff /nas etc on a switch. Iím on 100/20 fibre and one wifi I get that in the lounge, but with power line I only get 40/10 when moved. Expected better than that so will look at hard wiring instead.
    How long have people here (myself) been saying these are crap?

3. Post

General Tech Chit Chat

Privoxy wrote:
    Oh I know. Should have listened to my gut in this one. I thought if it could get my fibre speed then I would have been happy but yeah nah, for it to half the speed on a new build like that, thatís naff.
    Last edited by Puk; 1st December 2019 at 6:26 am.

4. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    I'd support banning the sale of these powerline products tbh, they fail to deliver what they promise for more people than those who are happy with it.

5. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    I'd support banning the sale of these powerline products tbh, they fail to deliver what they promise for more people than those who are happy with it.
    Nah, banning is a poor choice. More accurate marketing is a better choice, consumers never win when there's fewer choices. Powerline works great for my little brother's desktop in lieu of running cable through my father's house but I don't run it myself at my home.

He doesn't get the posted, but he does get lower latency than wireless and faster than the 100mb fibre.

My parents also have it to extend WiFi to a dead spot in the house. It's not vital they have stronger WiFi there, but it's convenient so the alternative is just not have it, they're not running cable and putting a second wireless router.

6. Post
    I get 6MB/s down on my tplink adapter, a significant boost over wifi. Drops out every once in a while but overall I'm happy with it.

7. Post
    They've always been shit and always will be shit.

8. Post
    What. wrote:
    I get 6MB/s down on my tplink adapter, a significant boost over wifi. Drops out every once in a while but overall I'm happy with it.
    What? You've got the most potato access point ever.

9. Post
    I've used one for years now, I get more consistent latency than wifi, and speed is fine for what I need. I haven't tested the throughput but haven't had any issues with it.

10. Post
    Has there never been anything wrong with it?

11. Post
    Wow 2Degrees is fubared at the moment. My wifes phone gets a message saying shes breached the unlimited minutes plan, except she hardly uses it (she uses mostly IP based comms), shes done maybe 20 mins this billing cycle. Sitting in the help queue for 30 mins now, with the rest of NZ I'm guessing.

12. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Wow 2Degrees is fubared at the moment. My wifes phone gets a message saying shes breached the unlimited minutes plan, except she hardly uses it (she uses mostly IP based comms), shes done maybe 20 mins this billing cycle. Sitting in the help queue for 30 mins now, with the rest of NZ I'm guessing.
    Someone on GZ had the same thing, they just restarted their phone and all was good after that

Also, I imagine most in the south island with 2degrees was calling in yesterday

13. Post
    Restarting/removing the sim/restarting didn't work. 2D had to 'unlock' your account then you had to restart your phone. I got there after an hour or so. The person on gz left the bit out about getting the account unlocked first (or maybe he didn't realize they had done that).

14. Post
    Got me a Titan Army 27" 2560X1440, 144Hz cause I got impatient. I'm really happy. BFV looks awesome on it.

15. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    Got me a Titan Army 27" 2560X1440, 144Hz cause I got impatient. I'm really happy. BFV looks awesome on it.
    oh nice, I looked at those. I have the entry level acer gaming one with pretty much same spec...been really happy with it also. Big price difference between brands aye.

- - - Updated - - -

Pxndx wrote:
    oh nice, I looked at those. I have the entry level acer gaming one with pretty much same spec...been really happy with it also. Big price difference between brands aye.

16. Post
    I mean the stand is the biggest let down, but for the price I got it, I can't complain.

17. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I mean the stand is the biggest let down, but for the price I got it, I can't complain.
    True...stand on mine sucked too, but I was putting it onto a 3rd party one so it didn't even make it out of the box. There's always phone books.

18. Post
    Yeah I'll probably mount it to the wall with an adjustable swing arm.

19. Post
    To those who follow Linus Tech Tips, they are launching Floatplane

20. Post
    Smokers solution, bonus extra a cupholder

21. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    It did make sense.

22. Post
    Bot or wot?

23. Post
    of course