1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    One of the most intelligent game developers alive.

3. Post
    Like the other comment, probably one of the most intelligent comments I have seen regarding piracy.

4. Post
    CD Project Red seem to follow this line of thinking with their games but they are the exception rather than the rule sadly.

5. Post
    I applaud this man. I will reward him by buying Mewgenics upon release, despite holding the opinion that Ed McMillen is a top tier douche with an awful sense of humour.

6. Post
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    CD Project Red seem to follow this line of thinking with their games but they are the exception rather than the rule sadly.
    As someone who has bought both Witcher games twice, I agree. And yes, I do mean each game twice. Witcher 1 physical when it came out, and recently on steam. Witcher 2 on GOG, and recently on steam.... I don't mind giving CD Project Red my money if they will use it to make awesome games.

Devs should focus on customers and making their fan base actually care about them as a studio and their products. I like them because they are a good studio who focus on making GOOD games. Unless they alter what their goals are, I will continue to buy their games on day one.

The odd true about pirating games though is that often people do it because they can't afford the games, and I know of people who on pirating a game would like it so much that they'd buy a copy of it legally. I've even know a person back in the day who loved Startopia so much, but was unable to find a legal copy locally, that he sent the devs money directly and got a thank you letter back.

(Working to make your game better so people want to buy it) > (making it harder to pirate it)

7. Post
    this is the voice of reason!

that was an excellent read, because of recent ive actually been thinking to myself that things are so shithouse at the moment, that i would pay extra for a DRM free game that just installed and ran from the get go,

the thing is things should have not gotten so bad that this should ever sound like a plausible option!

8. Post
    Buy that man a beer. I wish more publishers would start to focus on the positive too. Make products without restrictions and people will support you.

I remember reading here a piece about the dev for Hotline Miami asking the torrenters to upload the latest version of Hotline Miami so those that want to play it but couldn't (or wouldn't) pay for it for whatever reason could still get the full experience of his game. I thought that was such a refreshing attitude, I bought the game even though I had no intention previously of buying (or even playing it for that matter) I still haven't touched it yet, but to me that man deserves my money more than the likes of the big guys who increasingly use piracy as a scapegoat for poor sales and increased intrusion in their games.

All we need now is somebody to come out against regional pricing and overpriced digital goods and we can see that all might be good in the gaming world.

9. Post
    I believe ubisoft removed their DRM and lowered the price for FC3 to $80ish rather than the usual $120, although PS store is always more expensive.

10. Post
    He has the correct view for an indie developer, but its a rather simplistic approach to the issue as a whole. He assumes that DRM is only utilized as an anti-piracy measure when in fact it's often much more than that. He also ignores the monopoly status some of these larger corporations have on licensed franchises i.e. Madden, Fifa etc, and that information transparency isn't always available to your average consumer (shit its not even always available to "hardcore" consumers i.e. who's really to blame for the SimCity debacle Maxis or EA).

I think this line is actually pretty good at highlighting the shortcomings to his argument

Developers should focus on their paying customers and stop wasting time and money on non-paying customers.
    DRM is often employed as a strategy to create multiple revenue streams from paying customers, it's done by capturing a percentage of the market that is happy to purchase a product numerous times on multiple platforms because of the perceived inconvenience caused by being limited to one device. This is the same market segment who would also find piracy either too complex, something they're morally against or have too much money to care. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think this is the majority of people, or that it applies in all situations, but it is one of the reasons companies utilize DRM which he doesn't acknowledge.

11. Post
    Smart. The number one reason I pass up buying games is the DRM that comes attached. Speaking with my wallet, so to speak. The second most important factor in me buying a game would be regional price gouging, but lets focus on one thing at a time, shall we?