Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.56 average.
(18 votes)

1. Post
    any u guys watching AGDQ 2013?

http://speedrunslive.com/

beenpretty entertaining so far

2. Post
    HappyCamper_NZ wrote:
    Oh, I have SEVEN copies of DOTA 2 in my inventory for some reason; not sure how that happened.
    Spoiler:

3. Post
    ^ me too. 5 copies here. Can't get rid of them.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

4. Post
    Do I need to be a serious player to ask for a copy?
    Does it matter that im not a settler wanting something for nothing?

5. Post
    Neither bother me as I've seen you post. The game is supposed to be free to play but it's not fully released yet so if you want in you either need one of these keys or to pay for an early access pass.

These must have just been piling up without me noticing.

6. Post
    Started on 2 games that have been sitting in my inventory for ages: DA: Origins and BioShock.

Oh and re: Dota 2, I'm pretty sure like every Steam user has at least 1 copy of that game.

7. Post
    cencsor wrote:
    DA: Origins and BioShock.
    Amazing games for both of their genres.

I've never bothered with any kind of DotA game, wondering if I should try. I gave it a shot when it was a new WC3 mod but it didn't do anything for me - I guess that attitude towards it just stuck.

8. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    Amazing games for both of their genres.

I've never bothered with any kind of DotA game, wondering if I should try. I gave it a shot when it was a new WC3 mod but it didn't do anything for me - I guess that attitude towards it just stuck.
    I'm in the same boat re: DotA.

9. Post
    exis wrote:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nster?ref=live

On that note, I wonder how many people around here play board games. I feel like I missed out on a lot of board gaming due to lack of exposure more than anything. And most people I know who've played board games actually really enjoy them (first time I played Settlers of Catan was with my girlfriends parents and it was awesome for everyone). I find it weird that it's still considered pretty geeky even though it's a lot more accessible than video games, which seem to be becoming more widely accepted.
    it a social thing for my group of mates, once a week we get together , have a bbq and play board games or have a weekly rpg session, etc easier than to lug around the PCs for a Lan . And it is all about face to face and RP etc. It is always more fun when you are close enough to your mates to punch them in the face hahahaha. Yes i pledged for the game, it is very expensive but most good board games tend to be on the high side. Even Settlers of Catan was around $90 when i bought it lol.

10. Post
    I really enjoy Settlers of Catan, but not enough of my friends like it so I hardly ever get to play

11. Post
    Daaft wrote:
    I really enjoy Settlers of Catan, but not enough of my friends like it so I hardly ever get to play
    I know that feel.
    We used to have a fortnightly game years ago, but as people got married and moved away our pool of players went from over 10 to 5 but our schedules make it difficult to organise. I have the IOS version + both C&K and SF and the PC port its still fun, but without the ineterpersonal interaction its not as fun. Screwing over or being screwed by AI is not satisfying. NO YOU WILL NOT HAVE MY SHEEP BUAHAHAHAHA!

12. Post
    Just finished NFS Most Wanted today. It's definitely displaced Hot Pursuit as my silly fun-times game. Evading the cops is really fun, and the graphics are like BF3 Seine Crossing except massive. Looking forward to LANning it when the price comes down a bit (it was still 32usd when I got it which is pretty steep).
    I've got a feeling most people probably overlooked it since it's not on steam.
    lumpy custard

13. Post
    cryocore wrote:
    I know that feel.
    We used to have a fortnightly game years ago, but as people got married and moved away our pool of players went from over 10 to 5 but our schedules make it difficult to organise. I have the IOS version + both C&K and SF and the PC port its still fun, but without the interpersonal interaction its not as fun. Screwing over or being screwed by AI is not satisfying. NO YOU WILL NOT HAVE MY SHEEP BUAHAHAHAHA!
    indeed when you back stab a mate by building a road that cuts him off from his best source of Stone etc and then move the robber onto his only stone territory , actually grinning and saying : U Mad Bro ? to his face cannot be replicated online

i am fortunate as the same group of mates are still together.. and they all , everyone of us, remembers every single backstabing move from years back...

14. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    indeed when you back stab a mate by building a road that cuts him off from his best source of Stone etc and then move the robber onto his only stone territory , actually grinning and saying : U Mad Bro ? to his face cannot be replicated online

i am fortunate as the same group of mates are still together.. and they all , everyone of us, remembers every single backstabing move from years back...
    That battle to find the resource needed to biuld a settlement that you and a friend both have road leading to and the begging for trades and the eventual **** YOU!!! when you or he/she gets it and steals the spot.

FAAARK now I needs a fix

15. Post
    Well currently I'm Playing Assassins Creed 3 man why is it so bloody boring.. It's like hey lets go over there cue cutscene soo zzzz can't really get into it properly.. (got into Assassins creed 2 thou)

16. Post
    WarZoner wrote:
    Well currently I'm Playing Assassins Creed 3 man why is it so bloody boring.. It's like hey lets go over there cue cutscene soo zzzz can't really get into it properly.. (got into Assassins creed 2 thou)
    Just about to start my first playthrough once I'm finished with Dishonored. I'm hoping its just as good as ACII, the natural environment looks amazing. How long have you been playing it for? really not looking forward to it if it gets boring fast and turns into some sort of chore.

17. Post
    Loving Arma 2 wasteland, such a different gameplay style than DayZ all though I hate wasteland on chernarus to me it just doesnt work. Utes seems to work best.

18. Post
    ChizzBo wrote:
    Just about to start my first playthrough once I'm finished with Dishonored. I'm hoping its just as good as ACII, the natural environment looks amazing. How long have you been playing it for? really not looking forward to it if it gets boring fast and turns into some sort of chore.
    The start of ACIII is appalling. All the pre Conner shit is a fkn waste of time and REAAAALLLLYYYY poorly paced. To add insult to injury not only is it hours long and hand holdy it ends up being a fkn waste of time. The end of the sequence also ends up more of a FU than a OMFG I think they were aiming for.

From Conner on though things really pick up.

19. Post
    Was it not to some peoples liking? sure, but it was far from pointless.

20. Post
    I enjoyed it, didn't think it was pointless, but yeah it was a pretty goddamn long training mission - when you play as Connor it really does get 10x better, though.

21. Post
    Actually its completely pointless. All that "background" could have been given as information Conner could learn over the first few hours instead of a bunch shitty linear missions and unskippable drudgery. Hours of shit for some flavour, then it makes you start from scratch. The Ubi devs are appalling at maintaining momentum in the series as far as story and gameplay goes. The non Animus sections highlight this fact. They are little more than filler and detract from the drive of central story. Bookend the game with Desmond, but all the blather and dull quests add nothing of value that couldnt be injected in a much better way.

The Conner sections are excellent, but the start and Desmond sections bog it down both in regards to pacing and actual fun gameplay. IMO the 7.5 was slighty too generous. A 6.5-7.0 would be more accurate, if Desmond was relegated to some brief cutscenes and the total amount of cutscenes reduced by about 50% (and the info given in game) then it would be an 8. Without Haytham as a playable character it would be an 8.5.

Appalling pacing, verbose and overlong dialog, breaking character/gameplay interruptions (flash forwards and cutscenes) really bring this game down.

Personally i think AC3 should have been Desmonds story exclusively. Have him jetsetting to various cities across the world and pakour-killing his way though the Templars. Revisting the cities we saw in AC1,2, BH, and Rev would have closed this series perfectly, but no Ubi needs to wring more cash from this franchise.

22. Post
    Haytham was the best part of AC3

23. Post
    I really enjoyed his character, and it made confrontations with him down the line a lot more interesting and involved. People can try to claim that the plot twist wasn't a big deal, but i loved it, i said "what in the ****" at the same time desmond did.

24. Post
    Ramza wrote:
    I really enjoyed his character, and it made confrontations with him down the line a lot more interesting and involved.
    ^ this, I much preferred the way they did it. My only objection was the length of this section.

25. Post
    Writing something up at the moment and figured I'd ask for suggestions here. Can anyone think of examples of adaptive game interfaces?

The general idea is that the interface changes in response to your actions as a player. So the game watches what you do and tries to assist/confound you by altering the interface in some way. Similar to how the AI Director in L4D dynamically alters difficulty according to player behaviour by spawning big zombie rushes at particular moments.

In terms of interface specifically, think of things like the Windows start menu, which shuffles things around according to how recently you've used/installed them. Not-so-much stuff where your cursor changes if you hover over a particular item type, etc (that's more state-based adjustment than dynamic adaptation). I imagine there are plenty of strategy games using stuff like this, but I can't think of many off the top of my head.