1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Only 3 weeks late, not bad

3. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    Only 3 weeks late, not bad
    Review copies don't always arrive on time, but of course we are terribly sorry for the lateness and any inconvenience it has caused you.

Hopefully you'll still be able to find a copy of the game somewhere. Good luck!

4. Post
    Matthew James Maguire wrote:
    Review copies don't always arrive on time, but of course we are terribly sorry for the lateness and any inconvenience it has caused you.

Hopefully you'll still be able to find a copy of the game somewhere. Good luck!
    lol!

I know this has happened with me too in the past. I got the game the day after launch (courier). Then my console YLOD, during the xmas perriod. Pretty much worse case scenario.

5. Post
    Apology accepted

6. Post
    Playing this through now.

My initial thoughts are that Forza swallowed half a cup of Test Drive Unlimited 2 and half a cup of Colin McRae's DiRT 2. It's got that 'tryhard' commercial racing scene, but with a pleasing lack of 'Monster Energy' advertisements, and the racing most certainly doesn't take a backseat to the horrible reality show plastic surgery jersey shore nonsense which TDU2 forced you to swallow. The world compared to TDU2 is smaller and more barren, so less interesting to free roam, it's more comparable to the Hot Pursuit 2011 map in size, but the production values are constantly high right across the map. Even on the Simulation setting, the racing feels a little too forgiving. The last Forza game I played was Forza 3, and I really enjoyed how serious and realistic the handling was most of the time. Forza Horizon on the otherhand feels a lot more like an Arcade racer in a lot of ways. This isn't necessarily a BAD thing, as the handling physics are actually very good, but again, a little too forgiving for my tastes. Visually the game is impressive, I thought what I was seeing was pre-rendered until it handed over the controls. The smoothness, quality of effects and level of detail is the best I've seen on a console to date, the sheer quality of it puts games like GT5 to shame. It runs very smoothly and feels very responsive too, they've pulled all the stops to make this game handle beautifully. Soundtrack has this bad habit of playing the same song over and over, but it ain't all bad. At least we get a choice on the genre.

So pretty positive so far. Production values are very high, it takes inspiration from some flawed-but-still-great games and manages to dodge their issues entirely, but it's not without it's own little quirks. So far I'd totally agree with 8/10, but we'll see how this changes as I play more.

7. Post
    Picked this up on the weekend after reading this review. For some reason I always thought it was a mini-game (kind of like Forza, but with way less content) and I'm glad to see I was wrong.

The opening stages are good fun, and the very start gives you that young "boy racer" feeling. Lots of loud, obnoxious cars all driving like idiots

It does start to feel a bit like any other Forza after a little while though. The only difference being that you now drive between races. Still, I prefer the style of the game over the traditional Forza. Mainly because it feels a little more lively rather than just a pure sim game. The attraction of Forza games has always been building up my garage with sexy rides. I'm sure I'll be doing the same here!

The handling is less sim like than Forza 4, but still quite traditional (a long way off from the arcade handling of NFS games). I find the outside view difficult to control because for some reason the steering seems less responsive. Probably just a placebo. I prefer cockpit view, but then you don't get to look at the gorgeous exterior. The handling is well suited to dealing with traffic. In NFS games I'm all too often hitting traffic, but in Horizon it's a lot more sparse and the handling makes it easier to negotiate oncoming vehicles.

All in all it's a fun racing game.