Results 1 to 23 of 23

  1. Post

    Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

    Read article...

  2. Post
    #2
    EA, the franchise killer

  3. Post
    #3
    Yep.
    Time to add Dead Space to the list of formerly great ips raped and killed by EA.

    R.I.P
    Dragon Age
    Mass Effect
    Need for Speed
    Command and Conquer
    Syndicate
    Ultima
    Sim City?

    and the developers
    Westwood
    Origin
    Bullfrog
    Maxis
    DICE
    and perhaps in the not too distant future BioWare?

  4. Post
    #4
    I think ME3 was the final nail in the coffin for Bioware. I mean, I enjoyed the game (more than most) but this massive focus on multiplayer is balls.

  5. Post
    #5
    I've only played 80% of the first but found the combat almost as repetitive and boring as VATS, by the time I quit I was wishing it was a straight up shooter...

  6. Post
    #6
    I enjoyed ME3 for what it was right up to the conclusion (we dont talk about the endings any more as it leads to much ranting an gnashing of teeth), but you are correct that the MP focus took too much away from the core experience, the move away from RPG to shooter was bad enough but the MP influence and focus marred the whole experience.

    I still have hope for BioWare, although DA3 is their last chance. If by some miracle they can bring the franchise back to DA:O in scope and execution there might be hope. The Dr's have a fair amount of clout and after the reaming they've gotten for DA2, ME3 and the failure of SWTOR they seem to be taking a more proactive role in the development side of things.

  7. Post
    #7
    Visceral are great devs. Looking forward to playing this and judging for myself how the game before boo hooing with the anti-EA circlejerk squad.

  8. Post
    #8
    yeah because an action focus and co-op is so in line with the franchise and exactly what Visceral would have done without EA yanking their money chain
    Great devs can only do what the money men let them.

  9. Post
    #9
    I'll reserve judgment until I play it.

    The horror elements look reminiscent of The Thing (which is a personal favourite) what with the icy setting and all. If I get a great horror campaign in single, and fun co op with a friend, then I'll get great value for money. Unlike RE5, I loved DS2, so have slightly higher hopes for Visceral's sequel than it's industry rival, Res Evil.

  10. Post
    #10
    -Flappersack- wrote:
    I'll reserve judgment until I play it.

    The horror elements look reminiscent of The Thing (which is a personal favourite) what with the icy setting and all. If I get a great horror campaign in single, and fun co op with a friend, then I'll get great value for money. Unlike RE5, I loved DS2, so have slightly higher hopes for Visceral's sequel than it's industry rival, Res Evil.
    Yeah The Thing was a great game, one of my favs

  11. Post
    #11
    werewolves? wrote:
    Yeah The Thing was a great game, one of my favs

  12. Post
    #12
    cryocore wrote:

    and the developers
    ...
    Maxis
    DICE
    and perhaps in the not too distant future BioWare?
    I'd love to hear how they killed Maxis and DICE, WHO STILL EXIST AND ARE BIGGER THAN EVER.

    The gargantuan that is The Sims got spun off to have a dedicated studio. Maxis continue to make PC exclusives. DICE's Frostbite 2.0 is pretty much THE engine that the majority of EA studios will be using for their next gen consoles titles. Battlefield keeps gaining inroads in its war of attrition against CoD with each new non-casual title in the series.

    You mean the optional BF3 "buy all the class unlock" micro-transaction packs? P2W hardly, since BF3's starting guns are rape.

  13. Post
    #13
    Yes because the regurgitation of the Sims definitely demonstrates a thriving and creative studio. There hasnt been a good Maxis game since Sim City 2000

    As for DICE look at the pre EA games (anything earlier than 2005) and look at them now. Sorry another company regurgitating and consolising their products.

    Its all subjective, but EA homogenises all their studios output. Which imo kills what it was. BioWare is already beginning to follow suit.

    Lets no derail this thread though.

  14. Post
    #14
    cryocore wrote:
    Yes because the regurgitation of the Sims definitely demonstrates a thriving and creative studio.
    How else would you build upon the The Sims concept without iteratively remaking it ever few years and then bolting on new features, without going all WEB 3.0 all on it? *shudder*

    As for DICE look at the pre EA games (anything earlier than 2005)
    Like the regurgitated racing game SEQUELS that were shitting out for Microsoft's XBOX, published by MICROSOFT?
    and look at them now. Sorry another company regurgitating and consolising their products.
    Mirror's Edge and focused+refined Battlefield titles. I've seen 1942 players, they seem to be all about "let's aimlessly hoon around in jeeps on these huge maps".

  15. Post
    #15
    I'm scared this will turn out like RE5 and possibly 6... action based horror?

    Standing by with bated breath.

  16. Post
    #16
    cryocore wrote:
    Yes because the regurgitation of the Sims definitely demonstrates a thriving and creative studio. There hasnt been a good Maxis game since Sim City 2000

    As for DICE look at the pre EA games (anything earlier than 2005) and look at them now. Sorry another company regurgitating and consolising their products.

    Its all subjective, but EA homogenises all their studios output. Which imo kills what it was. BioWare is already beginning to follow suit.

    Lets no derail this thread though.
    FFS we all know you hate that EA but this is not the 90s anymore. You have no proof to anything your saying. EA may have had an effect or the Devs may have decide this is where they want to go.
    You automatically assume the producers only harm but they also help. Its like an editor of a book, Ill use Stephen King as an example. When he has an editor putting a leash on him he writes great books. When the editor is completely hands off it shows e.g 11/22/63 was a great concept but he wasnt controlled and it needed some serious editing.

    Look at Sleeping Dogs. Square Enix came along and told the Devs to make the PC version the lead and it made it a better game.

  17. Post
    #17
    Pretty sure Bioware didn't give a shit about multiplayer before EA, same thing with the Dead Space devs.

  18. Post
    #18
    Gwarden wrote:
    Pretty sure Bioware didn't give a shit about multiplayer before EA, same thing with the Dead Space devs.
    Psst, at no time were Visceral Games NOT an EA studio. I.e. they used to called EA Redwood Shores.

    Oh and Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 had MP. Neverwinter Nights was BUILT WITH CREATING PERSISTENT MP WORLDS IN MIND.

  19. Post
    #19
    entensity wrote:
    FFS we all know you hate that EA but this is not the 90s anymore. You have no proof to anything your saying. EA may have had an effect or the Devs may have decide this is where they want to go.
    You automatically assume the producers only harm but they also help. Its like an editor of a book, Ill use Stephen King as an example. When he has an editor putting a leash on him he writes great books. When the editor is completely hands off it shows e.g 11/22/63 was a great concept but he wasnt controlled and it needed some serious editing.

    Look at Sleeping Dogs. Square Enix came along and told the Devs to make the PC version the lead and it made it a better game.
    You're correct I have no direct proof. What I have is a history of EA ****ing over Developers and ips. Their reputation is known and well earned and backed up by a preponderance of historical evidence.

    oh and your editor comparison is so completely off the mark it isnt funny. A book editor doesnt have final approval the author does. An editor works for the author or on the authors behalf for a publisher.
    A game publisher is like a movie studio they have final approval (unless a specific contract states otherwise), and just like the big studios taking over movies, or forcing changes, or enforcing a specific rating, or my personal favourite firing a director and forcing re-shoots publishers so the same thing for games. They are very risk adverse, and in this case specifically state that they are aiming at a broader audience by focusing on action. So please take your indignation elsewhere. EA are renowned for ****ing over franchises to "broaden their appeal".

  20. Post
    #20
    EvaUnit02 wrote:

    Oh and Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 had MP. Neverwinter Nights was BUILT WITH CREATING PERSISTENT MP WORLDS IN MIND.
    Yeah but they were built from the ground up with MP in mind, like Swtor. Shoehorning it into a single player experience is pretty clearly an EA idea and it detracted from the SP experience.

  21. Post
    #21
    I still need to play the 2nd. I really liked the first back when I played it, but know next to nothing about the sequel except I've seen it for relatively cheap around the place. Maybe I'll pick it up soon.

  22. Post
    #22
    Same people fighting errr day

  23. Post
    #23
    And it's on PC godamit, sheesh. Luved the second and keen on the coop. What I didn't like the look of was how similar it appeared to Lost Planet.