Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    I don't get it. How does enjoying Japanese narrative, despite all the kinds of crazy, actually make someone racist? I could understand the logic if opinion was the other way.

3. Post
    He's just mad coz Ass Creed will get slammed in some reviews.

4. Post
    It's funny because the AC story is the most convoluted steaming pile of shit I've had to endure this generation.

5. Post
    From an objective standpoint, I think he has a point.

6. Post
    How? I don't see the logic at all. If anything he's the one who sounds racist. 'Its racist because people don't hate on the story of Japanese games because we all know that the Japanese write narrative which is gibberish'.

7. Post
    Shikari wrote:
    He's just mad coz Ass Creed will get slammed in some reviews.
    If it didn't before....it will now!

8. Post
    This might just be me, but illogical / crazy is always more interesting then some boring sauce coherent.

9. Post
    Celticknife wrote:
    It's funny because the AC story is the most convoluted steaming pile of shit I've had to endure this generation.
    Lol, this.

Though I sorta agree with him about how some Japanese narratives for games are just simply retarded, it's definitely not the case in all games, and I've never felt like reviewers intentionally ignore it if they were gibberish just because they're Japanese.

10. Post
    Most Japanese games are all looks, but saying what he said to the public is a bad move.

11. Post
    I would say they are corrupt, not racist. If anything, they're more likely to give AC3 a good review simply because of the name/history of the the title. Just like CoD gets rave reviews for repeating the same formula over and over.

12. Post
    There's some good stories in Japanese games, but a lot of em are plainly crazy. I think the assassins creed series stories are rather boring. Heck there's good and bad stuff out of the western area as well.

13. Post
    He has a point but 'racist' is probably the wrong word. It's more to do with journalists going easy on stuff that seems different and original.

I was actually thinking about how ****ed and messy the plot for FF8 was the other day. That shit makes zero sense but when I was in form 2 all I cared about was that cool gun sword and the sweet fmvs.

14. Post
    It's funny because the complete opposite is actually the truth. Games journos (and gwarden) are biased AGAINST japanese titles while praising the shit out of shitstains like the Gears of War storyline.

Also, @mura. The plot makes perfect sense if you take the time to understand it (ok i'm lying, most of disc 4 is a total mind****, but in a good way). I can only assume that the guy in the article is stupid and doesn't want to admit it.

15. Post
    Toastie wrote:
    From an objective standpoint, I think he has a point.
    ^ This, but it's not racism.

I think storytelling is a big weakness in games no matter what their country of origin is.

16. Post
    If it helps I thought Chrono Cross was one of the best story lines ever. I was 12 at the time though.

17. Post
    Chrono Cross, now there's a mess of unexplained plot threads. That's sort of the point though, the Japanese don't believe in always tying up every little plot thread, preferring to leave it up to the imagination.

18. Post
    I really dislike how many sideplots there are in Western games. It usually just amounts to a big muddle and detracts from the main storyline.

19. Post
    Ramza wrote:
    Chrono Cross, now there's a mess of unexplained plot threads. That's sort of the point though, the Japanese don't believe in always tying up every little plot thread, preferring to leave it up to the imagination.
    Who needs details when you have time travel and dragons.

20. Post
    Murakami wrote:
    I really dislike how many sideplots there are in Western games. It usually just amounts to a big muddle and detracts from the main storyline.
    Mainstream games lately don't even seem to have main plots, hence i always appreciate the sideplots.

21. Post
    Pot calling kettle black, good lord.

22. Post
    I would say its the other way around. This gen there has been nothing but criticism from game journalists for japanese games. We have heard all the comments that japanese games are dying, criticism of all or most of the major japanese games franchises, the death of the jrpg and so on. I think personally stick it to Japan more than to US or European devs and I think that Alex guy is a whining idiot. Could it be that AC3 didnt do great because it wasnt as great as AC2 or Brotherhood? Or couldnt it have to do with the yearly releases?

23. Post
    fauzman wrote:
    Could it be that AC3 didnt do great because it wasnt as great as AC2 or Brotherhood? Or couldnt it have to do with the yearly releases?
    What? Are there actual reviews for AC3 published?

24. Post
    fauzman wrote:
    I would say its the other way around. This gen there has been nothing but criticism from game journalists for japanese games. We have heard all the comments that japanese games are dying, criticism of all or most of the major japanese games franchises, the death of the jrpg and so on. I think personally stick it to Japan more than to US or European devs and I think that Alex guy is a whining idiot. Could it be that AC3 didnt do great because it wasnt as great as AC2 or Brotherhood? Or couldnt it have to do with the yearly releases?
    Well, did you personally enjoy FFXII? Or FFXIII?

25. Post
    fauzman wrote:
    We have heard all the comments that japanese games are dying
    You'll find a lot of the "Japanese games are stagnating" comments have been made by Japanese developers, like Kenji Inafune and Tomonobu Itagaki.

The Japanese market is actually changing, shifting more towards mobile gaming and appealing to their national core audience rather than focusing on global appeal.

criticism of all or most of the major japanese games franchises
    If an individual game or series was criticised, I'm sure that it was probably justified. I.e. FFXIII deserved all of the shit thrown at it.
    the death of the jrpg
    When did anyone ever claim this?

Could it be that AC3 didnt do great because it wasnt as great as AC2 or Brotherhood?
    What the f*ck are you smoking? AC3 isn't out, no one has played it, thus no one has been able to judge it yet.
    Or couldnt it have to do with the yearly releases?
    AC3 has had a three year dev period, made by a team completely separate to Brotherhood and Revelations. This guess of yours is nought.