Paddles wrote:
    Warney's ideas are stupid
    Fixed that for you

2. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    Fixed that for you
    Heh.

3. Post
    I actually like the free hit for no balls in tests given the stats that it has radically reduced the number of no balls in ODIs.

Somehow for people like Doug Bracewell the act of a batsman being brought back because he overstepped wasn't enough to fix his problem and he just kept on overstepping.

4. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    I actually like the free hit for no balls in tests given the stats that it has radically reduced the number of no balls in ODIs.

Somehow for people like Doug Bracewell the act of a batsman being brought back because he overstepped wasn't enough to fix his problem and he just kept on overstepping.
    Count 1 no ball - and give 4 penalty team runs then. Why gift batsmen free runs? Why make the next ball impossible to take a wicket with? Test cricket is not about an almighty slog. And the fields aren't set for it. Sure - allow field changes, 9 men on the boundary, most the time it would then be a pointless catch for 1 or 2, or a 6.

There were 2 no balls in the last test. Over 3 days. No balls are hardly a big problem in test cricket.

If its about getting the crowd revved up into a test, bring in cheerleaders in between deliveries. Send out some trampoline bowlers and batsmen in between overs playing aerial cricket. Lets make it really entertaining. Monster trucks at tea instead of craig cumming.

Sorry for being facetious, as great as it would be for a passing cricket fan, it's just not test cricket. I'm all for growing the game, but this isn't it. Bowlers do not deserve to be punished that badly in test cricket. In ODI cricket, the field is set for the slog anyway. Test cricket - is different. And watching Alistair Cook or C Pujara types try to slog is just going to be ugly anyway.

5. Post
    Khawaja breaks the touring record for India in a 5 game series as Aus beat India in India.

Aus dumped S Marsh despite all his runs, which leaves me further wondering how S Smith could make their odi team.

India went for 5 main bowlers, and came up short on a 270+ chase. India totally gave up on a #4 batsman to achieve this.

Australia's selection headaches get worse and Carey is still a passenger.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...in-ind-2018-19

6. Post
    I wouldn't be dropping Shaun Marsh despite a few bad games, he deserves to be in there a lot more than many of them. Maxi at 4 is some sort of joke, backed up by his stupid shot.

I don't rate Stoinis in the hitting role much, he rarely goes quicker than a run a ball at the end of an innings. He needs a while to get going. Carey was average opening, now he's equally average at 7. They should really just give the gloves to Handscomb and be done with it, so they can play the extra batsman.

Not sure wtf India are up to, but after Kohli it's pretty much a lottery... really lacking solidity there.

7. Post
    <N> wrote:
    I wouldn't be dropping Shaun Marsh despite a few bad games, he deserves to be in there a lot more than many of them. Maxi at 4 is some sort of joke, backed up by his stupid shot.

I don't rate Stoinis in the hitting role much, he rarely goes quicker than a run a ball at the end of an innings. He needs a while to get going. Carey was average opening, now he's equally average at 7. They should really just give the gloves to Handscomb and be done with it, so they can play the extra batsman.

Not sure wtf India are up to, but after Kohli it's pretty much a lottery... really lacking solidity there.
    Handscombe keeping or Wade returning are their best options imo. Carey is struggling big time. Aus fans have the knives out for Stoinis and SMarsh - despite the form guide suggesting that should not be the case. Stoinis got Kohli's wicket last night and turned the game on its head.

Maxwell at 4 is a joke. But its been done because of Turner being the next big thing (after missed stumping and dropped twice in his 80). Finch is the captain - Khawaja is in form, so how do these 2 get dropped easily? Stoinis and Maxwell share overs. Handscombe made runs in two games now...

It's pretty difficult for Aus selectors. I kinda hope they pick Smith and he sucks at the Cup.

India has no idea what to do about #4, they don't trust Rayudu, and Rahul needs to bat top 3 where there are no spaces. I think Dhoni will end up batting 4 at the cup unless Raina, Rayudu, Iyer, Gill or someone carves up the IPL.

Jadhav is locked in somewhere between 5 and 6. They like Shankar, but he doesn't bowl like Hardik. India has balance problems. They don't want a long tail of Chahal at 8, but they don't want Shankar as the 3rd seamer. They're struggling to get their mix right.

Right now India appears to be a 4 man batting line up with the top 3 and Jadhav in the middle.

8. Post
    This is what Harsha reckons,

Hence the conclusion that India was aware of all along. India have a decent balance to the side with Jadhav at 6, Pandya at 7 and Bhuvneshwar at 8.
    https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...essons-from-it

That means two things. No Shami. And it assumes Chahal over KP and Jadeja. And it still appears light on the batting. They could play Krunal or Jadeja at 9 to remedy this somewhat.

And who is his number 4 or 5 with Dhoni? Shankar, Pant, Karthik? He's glossing over the bigger whole imo. Blaming the series loss on no Hardik may feel good to the Indian fan's looking to blame - but the ongoing issue is #4. Has been for years now. They have no idea who to put in there. None whatsoever. Raina, Pant, Pandey, Rayudu, Rahul, they've tried nearly everyone!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

With Dhoni and Jadhav locked in, who will the 3rd from this list be given Hardik will bat 7?

India are top heavy. There is no batting depth throughout the innings like England have. I hope NZ follows England's lead because our attack is not Bumrah and Kuldeep with support acts like Shami, Kumar, Chahal and Jadeja!
    Last edited by Paddles; 14th March 2019 at 11:49 am.

9. Post
    Afghanistan vs Ireland test official live stream:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BrL7oE...HBNbX0JEfASf6o

10. Post
    oddjob wrote:
    Afghanistan vs Ireland test official live stream:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BrL7oE...HBNbX0JEfASf6o
    Cheers!

11. Post
    I wonder how our batsman would go against these spinners on this deck..

12. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    I wonder how our batsman would go against these spinners on this deck..
    Fine. They handled Yasir in UAE well enough to win a series. KW, Nicholls and Watling would own them almost as well as India did.

13. Post
    The old boy Murtagh, batting at 11, top scored with 54*.
    Wonder how many times that has happened in test history.

Afghanistan well on top.

14. Post
    Maybe this is why your boy Rahkeem doesn’t get selected, Paddles

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...ires-bad-maths

15. Post
    oddjob wrote:
    Maybe this is why your boy Rahkeem doesn’t get selected, Paddles

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...ires-bad-maths
    Haha - noone said he should be captain nor scorer. Just the spinning allrounder.

But yeah - I'm a fan of the tubby - as are many around the globe. Big spinners needs fans too.

Good spot oddjob - thanks. Love Rahkeem stories :-)

16. Post
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/afghanis...r/1108490.html

They've got another one.

We can do the Asians like spin bowling blah blah blah - but they're really showing not only SENA up now, but Bangladesh and SL now. India still have Mishra, Jadeja, Ashwin, Kuldeep and Chahal. Pak have Yasir, Shadhab, and Imad.

17 years of age - bowling style is chinaman. The first class average is 21.5 - weak batting you say - sure - but the wicket per match is 8. Eight!

If Larsen would like to send a talent scout to Afghanistan and bring back a spinner or two - that's be great.

17. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/afghanis...r/1108490.html

They've got another one.

We can do the Asians like spin bowling blah blah blah - but they're really showing not only SENA up now, but Bangladesh and SL now. India still have Mishra, Jadeja, Ashwin, Kuldeep and Chahal. Pak have Yasir, Shadhab, and Imad.

17 years of age - bowling style is chinaman. The first class average is 21.5 - weak batting you say - sure - but the wicket per match is 8. Eight!

If Larsen would like to send a talent scout to Afghanistan and bring back a spinner or two - that's be great.
    Rashid Kahn's brother will do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90cDIu4d5xg

18. Post
    So why wasn’t that mankad a dead ball? He pulled out of the delivery; if he had bowled it, he would’ve still been in his crease.

19. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    So why wasn’t that mankad a dead ball? He pulled out of the delivery; if he had bowled it, he would’ve still been in his crease.
    Yeah - they changed the rules 2 years ago. There's a lot of debate about this and how the rule should be interpreted. This wasn't stealing yardage, this was waiting. Because he was waiting, and the wide reaction to this, I think they may expand the dead ball rule as a result. Waiting for a Mankad imo is worse than the way it used to be done of pretending to bowl.

Internet is up in arms. Ashwin is taking a beating but he has some support.

I'm fine if the batsman is already out of crease when the bowler would have bowled. Are we now saying the batsman has to wait to see the ball in the air before leaving the crease. Okay. Or are we saying bowlers can flick bails off whenever dead ball has not been called like McCullum did when he was wicket keeper and is still embarrassed about re Murali.

Okay - read around - because Buttler was in his crease at the normal time of delivery, Buttler SHOULD NOT have been given out and the ball SHOULD have been called dead ball.

3rd umpire stuff up.
    Last edited by Paddles; 26th March 2019 at 2:20 pm.

20. Post
    IMO, Mankad can be easily solved.

When a Mankad appeal is made overlay the delivery of the previous ball with the delivery which is the Mankad. If the batsman is out of his crease on that overlay the batsman is out. If the batsman is in their crease the fielding team cops a no ball call with a free hit and a 12 run penalty.

Harsh I know but the bowler should be certain that the batsman would've been out.

I don't mind the idea of Mankad, but there needs to be enforcement around it - but then it is so rare as well.

21. Post
    voy1dnz wrote:
    IMO, Mankad can be easily solved.

When a Mankad appeal is made overlay the delivery of the previous ball with the delivery which is the Mankad. If the batsman is out of his crease on that overlay the batsman is out. If the batsman is in their crease the fielding team cops a no ball call with a free hit and a 12 run penalty.

Harsh I know but the bowler should be certain that the batsman would've been out.

I don't mind the idea of Mankad, but there needs to be enforcement around it - but then it is so rare as well.
    Yeah - get the camera crews to figure out the overlay in time for the third umpire. Shouldn't be too difficult.

22. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Yeah - they changed the rules 2 years ago. There's a lot of debate about this and how the rule should be interpreted. This wasn't stealing yardage, this was waiting. Because he was waiting, and the wide reaction to this, I think they may expand the dead ball rule as a result. Waiting for a Mankad imo is worse than the way it used to be done of pretending to bowl.

Internet is up in arms. Ashwin is taking a beating but he has some support.

I'm fine if the batsman is already out of crease when the bowler would have bowled. Are we now saying the batsman has to wait to see the ball in the air before leaving the crease. Okay. Or are we saying bowlers can flick bails off whenever dead ball has not been called like McCullum did when he was wicket keeper and is still embarrassed about re Murali.

Okay - read around - because Buttler was in his crease at the normal time of delivery, Buttler SHOULD NOT have been given out and the ball SHOULD have been called dead ball.

3rd umpire stuff up.
    Yea I don't have an issue with the mankad as such, but the way Ashwin went about it was just such a douche move.

I know McCullum regrets it now, but I personally feel that was probably the worst piece of sportsmanship I have ever witnessed...worse than sandpaper gate

23. Post
    McCullum's is bad. Worse than Ashwin's by a mile.

Still well below sandpapergate.

Seriously.

Sandpaper on a cricket field. Gtfoh :P

24. Post
    <N> wrote:

Agree about Handscomb for Carey. Do we really need the best keeper for ODI? Runs are the name of the game. Still no room it appears for James Faulkner. I have him and Mitch Marsh ahead of Stoinis for a/r role. How Stoinis can be considered an a/r is beyond me. Is there room for both Warner and Smith? I know who I prefer. Besides the side has been going gangbusters without them.