GP suggests PC builds

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Results 4,226 to 4,242 of 4242

1. Post
    Posting from my newly built PC for the first time.

Build went really well. No problems at all. Took me a few hours to do it as I was taking my time and double checking the manuals to make sure I was doing everything right.

A couple of things though. I have 4 usb slots built in to my case which are split into 2x cables. These need to be plugged in to USB30 header on the motherboard, but my motherboard only takes one of these cables. What can I do with the other 2 that don't have anywhere to plug into? There's USB1/2 slots free on the motherboard, but obviously they can't take the bigger cable. I don't realistically need these extra USB slots because there are more on the back of the PC, but I don't like things sitting there not working.

Also can you buy individual pci-e cables? There was one that came with my power supply but it's like a daisy chain set up and looks ugly hanging in my nice tidy case.

Stock power supply that came with the CPU is also pretty loud. Might upgrade that at some point.

2. Post
    You can get an internal 19 pin usb 3 to usb 2 adapter to get the other usb ports running albeit at usb 2 speeds.

Is your psu modular? Anyway you can get nicer sleeves cables. Usually you can make it tidy by hiding it smartly but sometimes can be hard.

Do u mean stock cpu cooler? What is it? U can set the speed lower in bios for normal use so it runs quieter until it needs to speed up.
    Otherwise plenty of good air cooler upgrade options like hyper 212 or bequiet brand

3. Post
    Ryzen 2600x so it's a wraith cooler? Can't remember the exact model.

4. Post
    Play with the fan profiles in BIOS, should be able to have the case fans and CPU fan run quiet when below 50 degrees etc

5. Post
    Looks like 2070 Supers are pretty good value...might see whats available this BF

Heres what Im working with

Last edited by Kog; 4th November 2019 at 1:47 pm.

6. Post
    When on special for $900, they are about the same bang for buck as a 5700XT (so long as the 5700XT isn't on special too). 5700XT is 6% slower @ 1440P and 9% slower @ 4k. That is comparing like for like cards, Gigabyte OC 5700XT for $849. You can get 5700XT AIB cards for $800, and reference for $730. If you want a 2070 Super, i'd be tempted by that special.

7. Post
    Hey guys, would the 1750 build be overkill for 1080p gaming?. I don't have a 1440p monitor but was just thinking along the lines of longevity the investment in the more expensive gpu would pay off in the end. Would anyone recommend any of the nvidia rtx cards at the same price point over the rx 5700 xt ? Or would I be fine with future games with the 1660 at 1080p?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

8. Post
    mossimoe wrote:
    Or would I be fine with future games with the 1660 at 1080p?
    I dont think 1080p will exist in the year 3050

9. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    I dont think 1080p will exist in the year 3050

10. Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	227709

based of the 1750 build had to change a few things as i coudnt find exact parts on pbtech do things look good guys ?

11. Post
    Looks solid, swap the memory out for the Crucial stuff that doesn't cost much more but is CL16.

edit: specs actually say its CL16 but the title says CL17, odd.

Hardware Unboxed will have reviewed that 5700XT on YouTube if that is of interest.

12. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Looks solid, swap the memory out for the Crucial stuff that doesn't cost much more but is CL16.

edit: specs actually say its CL16 but the title says CL17, odd.

Hardware Unboxed will have reviewed that 5700XT on YouTube if that is of interest.
    Thanks fragluton, I'll look into the specs being different to the title of ram.

13. Post
    Is 680 nzd for a 2070 non super worth it? I've currently got a 1070 and I want to do at least 60fps on 1440p.

14. Post
    A 2060 is perfectly good for 1440p 60fps so a 2070 will do higher framerate than that
    Depending on the game even a gtx1660ti is good for 1440p 60

15. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    A 2060 is perfectly good for 1440p 60fps so a 2070 will do higher framerate than that
    Depending on the game even a gtx1660ti is good for 1440p 60
    Thanks SirGrim. Value-wise, would you think a 2070 at 680 bucks is a good deal?

16. Post
    Hi team,

I'm looking at a build mainly for photo & some video editing and genernal business apps. Not much of a gamer but my 9 year old is getting into games so want something that will be future proo or easily upgradable for the next 2-3 years.

Budget - ideally close to $2k but could push to $2500 for the ideal build.

Not reall sure where to start (& am too much of a klutz to build my own - will definitely break/fry something) so went in and talked to the guys at PBTech about some pre-configured builds and the like. We quickly decided a custom would be better (mainly due to this being a work machine & the need for WinPro not Home!).

Shop suggested build as per below image

I'm torn between Ryzen 5-3600 or 7-3700? And on the fence about the graphics card, but dont want to under-spec this due to Adobe photo & light video editing.

Name:	2019-11-16 PB Tech shop build.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	227726

Also I saw somewhere that MS OneDrive can be a resource hog and take up a core by itself? Unfortunately I need to run this as its our business app, but mentioning it in case it changes spec decisions?

Case - dont know where to start other than PB Tech suggestion? Ideally want to put in 2-4 HDD for storage (video & photos). I have a 500gb Intel NVME drive I can use as a 2nd NVME drive, hence only the 1 in the build spec. I have 2x8tb HDD that I'll put in now, and look to get a couple more when on sale @ Amazon. Would like a case that has capacity for at least 4 HDD (if not more?) and I guess that goes the same for the motherboad.

Hopefully that covers everything? In terms of monitor - will use my standard 1080 for now but will upgrade that in next 2-3 months so spec to a 1440 or similar. Things that are easy for me to swap out or put in (like addt RAM, HDD, and the like) I am open to putting off for now, want to get in the stuff that is harder for someone as clumsy as myself to do later - ie CPU, cooler, etc.

Oh, on that note - what would you recommend cooler wise? The office at home is off the side of the lounge so want this as quiet as possible - especially when sitting idle, am ok with some noise under use but the less the better.

Am looking to buy this Monday night during PB Tech's Cyber Monday sale - not expecting major savings but every little bit counts.

Cheers in advance.

17. Post
    What do you need windows 10 pro for? I don't actually know the differences, currently have home and as a stand along PC not sure what i'm missing out on.

Here is one I just did, aimed at the lower end of your budget. Things that can change, case and SSD, I picked placeholders. So many on their site look to have average cooling so check reviews before picking one. SSD, I went with a cheaper one to keep the budget down, not sure you'd notice any real world difference between the different drives once you're up to those speeds. CPU, I went with 2nd gen to save some money, solid CPU and $200 cheaper than 3rd gen same spec chip (8 core). If you want to hit the $2.5k end, go 3700X, I don't really think you'd notice any difference though, if video encoding isn't a daily thing. This is obviously all my opinion, but I game on a lesser CPU and GPU and have zero issues.

Was just a quick throw together, another option, which is likely better is to just go for a 3600 CPU, 6 cores 12 threads will be enough to do everything you need, and is likely better overall than the 2700X. I'd just look at throwing a slightly better cooler at it if you want noise levels low. Both options will not disappoint, hard to keep a track if 2700x or 3600 are the cheaper option.

EDIT:
    After review, perhaps a 3600 is the go with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition installed.

Name:	pcbuild.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	227728
    Last edited by Fragluton; Today at 9:42 am.