1. Post

Case fans - which ones?

So I know nothing about positive and negative pressure. Static pressure etc etc.

What fans should I get for my computer?

I only have a front fan and back fan, plus one CPU fan on an Evo 212.

Please be explicit and not just "nocturne", as I have no idea what to buy from them.

Thanks!

2. Post
    For case fans you want airflow rather than static pressure.
    The bigger they are, the slower (therefore quieter) you can run them for the same air flow.

I've got the gross coloured Noctua NF-A14s on my radiator doubling as case intakes for their lack of noise.
    I know a lot of people don't like the colour and go for the Industrial or Redux series instead

In your case, to get more positive pressure just add another front intake fan (if you can).

3. Post
    What case do you have? Do you have a budget?

4. Post
    Basically neutral pressure is the goal, but almost unachievable as you can never get the intake to exactly match the exhaust.

If you have negative pressure, eg 1 intake and 2 exhaust, typically cooling is slightly (very slightly) better, but what happens is the case needs to draw more air in than being supplied, so it will suck in air through all the little gaps in your PC. This causes dust build up over time in every crevice.

If you have positive pressure, eg 2 intake and 1 exhaust, then your PC recieves more air than it can exhaust and pushes air out those little gaps preventing dust build up. So typically this is what most people go for. If you can get *just* positive, that's ideal Such as 2x 140mm intake and 2x 120mm exhaust running at the same RPM (just an example - not a perfect solution).

5. Post
    Current case: Cooler Master CM690 III Mid Tower Case with Window

Budget: Sky's the limit, but say, $300?

Currently there is is a big front intake, one exhaust on the back.

The big intake blows into a rack of 4 HDDs before being able to cool my GPU.

I'm ok with replacing all current stock fans.

GPU: MSI 390X.
    It barely gets used, but sits idle at high temps and stock fans curve. Ideally I'd like that to get more airflow.

Apparently it has these specs:

Fans: one 120 mm fan on the rear panel, one 200 fan on the front panel
    Optional fans: two 120 mm or one 200 fan on the top panel, one 120 mm fan on the bottom panel, and one 120 mm on the drive cage

My mobo is P8Z77-V, if that helps with the number of fans available.

Thanks guys.

6. Post
    No need to add more tbh, bigger intake than exhaust. Pretty much good to go.
    However, if your temps arent good then you could move the front 200m fan to the top as an exhaust. Install 2x140mm fans as intake in the front. The 2x140mm intake vs the 200mm+120mm exhaust should be all g.

You can add a side fan as an intake, if you still want to go harder.

7. Post
    blissfuljoy, why do you think that you need to buy new fans/change your current fan configuration?

8. Post
    Can't do side as mine is the window version.

I can do a bottom one Infront of the PSU though.

@Haisley: GPU gets little to no airflow and my soundcard is crammed against the GPU backplate getting hot. The stock fan doesn't bring much air into the case at all.

If it helps , all the grills have dust on entry points, this means it is negative pressure inside the case?

9. Post
    Isnt the bottom one underneath the PSU?

Do what I said then, forget the side fan. All you need is 2x 140mm fans, I'd go with the same brand as your case just for dat consistency - although can't see any in NZ. Maybe a twin pack like this then: https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=3778673

10. Post
    blissfuljoy wrote:
    Can't do side as mine is the window version.

I can do a bottom one Infront of the PSU though.

@Haisley: GPU gets little to no airflow and my soundcard is crammed against the GPU backplate getting hot. The stock fan doesn't bring much air into the case at all.

If it helps , all the grills have dust on entry points, this means it is negative pressure inside the case?
    Are your HDD cages full? If not, can you remove them?

Are you getting any detrimental performance from your GPU or soundcard?

Even with positive pressure, you still need to clean fan filters from time to time.

11. Post
    I removed the bottom cage when I got the case.

No body, not even me, looks under the desk at my case, so keeping the same brand of fans isn't really a concern.

I'd say my soundcard would be overheating a bit. I was getting weird crashes under no load, screen would go, driver would die? Sound would glitch. Other seperate issue was soundcard would not show up as installed.
    Figured it was partly due to heating issues.

Fixed the above by loosening some of the screws on the mobo, seems to have been some weird shorting out issue.

Still just need recommended brands for fans. E.g. case fans = nocturia Super fan v4 , etc.

Will likely do as you said pyronical.

I'm over in singapore, so temps are about 30 every day.

12. Post
    I really like the look of the mag lev case fans - Corsair ML120s

13. Post
    I'm looking for new fans too, in a black/white RGB build.. is there such things as fans that look good on the back (eg. intake fans that you can see the back of)?

14. Post
    Tank wrote:
    I'm looking for new fans too, in a black/white RGB build.. is there such things as fans that look good on the back (eg. intake fans that you can see the back of)?
    Not really. Unless you make some stickers for the hubs