Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    False equivalency and assumptive thinking aren't really going to help your argument.
    MEA in the context of the game and its genre is a 7
    GoW4 in the context of the game and its genre is an 8
    In my opinion.
    I have given my reasons I hope in a clear and well communicated manner. You're welcome to disagree, but please do not accuse me of misrepresenting myself or not critiquing the game on its own merits. After 42 hours I think I have earned the right to express my opinion in an informed manner.
    Stating that any persons opinion is objectively correct is dangerous, because it assumes any person who states otherwise is either lying, wrong, or pushing an agenda. That's just not how it works and is just unfair.

2. Post
    They're not that far apart. Two isometric shooters with a cover system and an online coop multiplayer where you play against waves. The difference is that ME:A attempts depth and fills in between combat using that RPG mechanism, while GoW4 looks pretty and takes the story out of your hands to a large extent, going so far as to have a number of cutscenes that even take combat out of your hands.

Problem is that one of the first things you said was that your character ended up horribly deformed in-game compared to the customisation. So yeah, I do think your review was influenced by how it looks and the character interaction - and there aren't many games out there where character interaction isn't entirely cringe worthy. FFXV, to keep with this example, is a game where I dread the awkward interactions. Infinite Warfare's story is frankly horrible.

But I never said objectively anything. Or that I was right. I'm stating my opinion of your opinion. This, and any other review that closes with a rating, is supposed to be about subjectivity, okay. But then you closed it with a rating, which is not a subjective measure. You even said it could be lower. Which means that you have some kind of measurement system in place. Or don't you? So forgive me if I don't get that.

3. Post
    I don't see this conversation going very far so I will summarize.
    They are not comprable. Different genres, different design pillars. Linear shooter vs Action Role playing game. Some crossover completely different execution.
    The rating is completely subjective. Assigning a numerical value to it does not change that. I could have gone lower, but using our rating system a 7 best represents my opinion of the game.
    Saying one game not doing something well does not excuse another game repeating those errors.
    The piece about the face was the end of a joke. Note that animations are essentially never again mentioned after that point. I even pointed out that they ended up not affecting enjoyment. I was explicit about this.
    Lastly your "stating my opinion of your opinion" is a problem because you're attempting to undermine mine but asserting it's not actually representative of my experience with the game.

Again, you're welcome to disagree, but my informed and honest opinion is just that. Nothing more. Nothing less. I am telling you this directly. Saying its anything other than that is untrue.

4. Post
    No, at least we can agree that there are very few circumstances under which this conversation would either continue or have a point.

5. Post
    There's some really frakking funny dialogue nestled here and there: like, full on ****ing funny shit

6. Post
    IST wrote:
    There's some really frakking funny dialogue nestled here and there: like, full on ****ing funny shit
    In the game, the review or the thread?

7. Post
    MockStar wrote:
    In the game, the review or the thread?
    The game

The Helleus Krogan are amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    Metacritic is not really relevant since Opencritic, no?

Small suggestion for next shared review:
    Do a good cop bad cop with Matt; He can focus on finding good things (even if there aren't any), and you rain fire mercilessly on all the bad things (even if they're not so bad for today's standards).

It could provide some hilarity in trying to top the other guy, or expose their point, or just for shits and giggles.
    I like it

ckc wrote:
    You gave Gears Of War 4, with its annoying combat system and linear campaign (not to mention almost every single aspect is a micro transaction) an 8, but this got a 7.
    Oh god, you're one of those people.

ckc wrote:
    I don't think this review is much more than a reaction against admittedly awkward graphics and a bit of a stilted character interaction. Being honest. It's an opinion
    I don't think your comment is much more than a reaction against a review that's not a complete fanboy love letter.

Did you even read the review? Because there are plenty of other issues raised.

You can still enjoy the game dude. But stop coming up with ludicrous theories as to why Chris isn't gushing over it - there are 2000 words up there that explain his position.

ckc wrote:
    They're not that far apart.
    Gears and Mass Effect are trying to do completely different things, and players have completely different expectations for each.

ckc wrote:
    But I never said objectively anything. Or that I was right. I'm stating my opinion of your opinion. This, and any other review that closes with a rating, is supposed to be about subjectivity, okay. But then you closed it with a rating, which is not a subjective measure. You even said it could be lower. Which means that you have some kind of measurement system in place. Or don't you? So forgive me if I don't get that.
    You're accusing us of incompetence. Sure, that's your opinion, but if you're going to make accusations, you'd better have more than "you scored a game from a different genre higher". People don't like being accused of such things on no evidence, y'see. And news flash: numerical ratings are still subjective.

Now please stop with the stirring, and with trying to tell Chris what he was thinking when he wrote his review. You like the game more than he did. Good for you. So did I. Others liked it slightly less than you did (a 7! It's the end of the world!). Just play the game and be stoked you're into it.

9. Post
    Opinions lmao. I liked both reviews , both admitted there are faults, Matt's was 1 point more then Chris's? that dude needs to chill 7 or 8 seems pretty fair to me even a 6 and the game could still be considered enjoyable.

10. Post
    At this stage, I would rate it at a 9/10 - 30 hours in.

This has gone up from my initial rating of around an 8/10 for the first 15 or so hours, really picks up and you realise just how massive and epic this game is. It is basically Inquisition in space with lot's of winks back to the original trilogy, and to be honest, the Inquisition formula fits a space exploration game far better than it fits a Fantasy RPG. Doesn't hurt the game that I'm playing it in 4K upscaled with HDR (which is fantastic by the way), this certainly helps distract from any of the, let's say, more lacklustre parts of the game's presentation.

Also, Cora is bae

11. Post
    9/10?! Completely ignoring any presentation issues there are far too many shallow, pointless, and poorly designed mechanics to give it such a high mark in my opinion.
    Using that scale where would ME 1,2,3 and 3 be rated? Or KoTOR? What about say The Witcher 3? I think you're being far too generous.

12. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    9/10?! Completely ignoring any presentation issues there are far too many shallow, pointless, and poorly designed mechanics to give it such a high mark in my opinion.
    Using that scale where would ME 1,2,3 and 3 be rated? Or KoTOR? What about say The Witcher 3? I think you're being far too generous.
    Opinions are subjective remember

Don't forget that Number ratings are problematic, and I think IST works off a different rating system than most. You need to adjust for enthusiasm.

13. Post
    Yessir, totally subjective. Was just wanting some explanation/clarification. Considering the issues which IST acknowledges a 9 does seem rather... enthusiastic.

14. Post
    I don't get all the bad reviews either. I'm loving the game so far, about 12 hours in. was up to 2am last night, could not stop. But I do love this sort of game. and did all the other ME games. Maybe all the people reviewing are more the D&D style gamers, and not the Sci -fi ones. But I think if you liked the old ME games, you'll like this one too, no problem.

15. Post
    Shadowcat101 wrote:
    I don't get all the bad reviews either. I'm loving the game so far, about 12 hours in. was up to 2am last night, could not stop. But I do love this sort of game. and did all the other ME games. Maybe all the people reviewing are more the D&D style gamers, and not the Sci -fi ones. But I think if you liked the old ME games, you'll like this one too, no problem.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head here.

I think I am a lot more forgiving (and excited) about this game just because it is Sci-Fi. There aren't many really good Sci Fi Action RPGs out there so you have to take what you can get!

16. Post
    Shadowcat101 wrote:
    First up. What "bad" reviews? Aside from a couple of outliers that vast majority of reviews are good or better. There are literally zero negative reviews in Metacritic, a total of 5 below 60% (and none below 50%) in Open Critic. That's out of a total of 71 reviews. People need to get past the idea that a non hailing the second coming review is bad. 7 is not bad. 7 is good. 8 is very good. 9 is fantastic. 10 is god tier. Perspective people. Come on!

And I don't think your theory holds much water. I liked the original trilogy a lot, not as much as some for sure, but they are a lot of fun. And every single one of them is better than Andromeda.
    Matt however is a huge fan of the series and is not an RPGer, and he too had some issues, but also liked the game a bit more.

Various other reviewers have stated their love of ME prior to Andromeda. I think trying to dismiss a non-glowing review as "not the reviewers cup of tea" is more than a little disingenuous.
    Matt and I for instance have clearly pointed out our issues. Speaking for my review I have pointed out things that are objectively bad, or lacking, or shallow. How this affects other players enjoyment is obviously subjective, but those issues exist there is no denying that fact. Sure some people will be more forgiving, and others may not care at all, but when you include a feature or mechanic and for whatever reason it has issues or doesn't function as it should then you should be called out for it. And that will affect the overall quality of the game, and the experience.

As I said Andromeda is a good game.

17. Post
    JB HiFi has the PC standard edition CD key for $84. Which is cheaper than the early access discount from EA.

18. Post
    I haven't read any reviews but all of the piles of junk loot and inventory management from ME1 is back so that should appease some of the ME2/3 whiners who liked that tedium.

19. Post
    Do I need to manually patch or does Origin do it automatically?

20. Post
    Check in settings.
    I saw there's option to manually check for updates if you right click on a game.

21. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    It's by no means a final score, and my MP disconnect last night (where I had a killer game, 20k exp and #1) literally seconds before extraction is one of the reasons why this may not stay at 9/10

At the moment it's a holistic score of sorts; and don't worry; I see the animation problems (amongst various other kerfuffles) on show and they do grate at times..But so far hasn't detracted from my experience.

I think one thing I've missed is this slight sense of dread and mystery the game puts out, it really does feel like we're fighting for our survival, in a Galaxy where shit has hit the fan bigtime.

Another thing of note, I'm half way through Nexus Rising, the novel that acts as a prequel and concurrent tale of sorts, and some of the answers that it provides have helped make my playtime more complete one could say.

It's very much a camped up ME1 mixed with Inquisition for me, which I'm slightly addicted to it if I'm being honest.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

22. Post
    7/10 sounds about right from everything I have heard.

23. Post
    My score went from a 9/10 to about a 7/10, and is now more around a 8/10.

The setup for the sequel is definitely very promising, BioWare will need to pull a ME1->ME2 style upgrade too, if they want to win back their RPG storytelling crown.