Results 1 to 11 of 11

  1. Post

    Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

    Read article...

  2. Post
    #2
    Having just completed the game and the hardest difficulty , there are a few conclusions I diagree with the review
    1) completing the game does not take *that* long. In theory, at medium difficulty, the loadout that you start with will allow you to complete the game. Unlocking skills and new guns are completely optional. I estimate that, in a speedrun scenario, you only need to take 5-10 hours to complete the SP portion of the game at medium difficulty. (Big spoiler: you do not need to kill everyone to finish the game)

    2) I actually find the backstory and the variety quite well done. Every single buchon had a backstory and a role to play in the big picture.
    Drives like an Asian till he gets behind the wheel of a holden

  3. Post
    #3
    I find the solo side of it compelling; the whole process of scoping out a base/town etc, tagging enemies, assessing the best was to tackle it, and then executing that plan, to be really engaging. I've almost 100%'d 3 provinces now, and am still enjoying it. There's enough variety in the environment, and where the towns/bases/etc are placed to keep it interesting, for me anyway.

    Things like jammers that stop you using the drone also force you to think differently about a given scenario.

    A lot of reviews that are coming out at the moment seem to focus on the "hu-ah" bro-ness of the protagonist and his squad buddies and how Bolivia is huge and beautiful, but it's all viewed down the barren of a gun; well duh, it's a bunch of military commando types doing covert ops in a South American shithole - it's all about guns and shooting dudes in the head with said guns!

    They seem overly harsh to me, people getting all bent out of shape about the politics rather than taking the game for what it is (as opposed to taking the game as a glossy postcard provided by Bolivia's Ministry of Tourism).

  4. Post
    #4
    Frederick James wrote:
    They seem overly harsh to me, people getting all bent out of shape about the politics rather than taking the game for what it is (as opposed to taking the game as a glossy postcard provided by Bolivia's Ministry of Tourism).
    This is just the ol' "Games review as art criticism vs games review as product review" thing though again, isn't it? I think it's always going to be a bit of both (and cultural criticism in games coverage will probably only increase as games get more and more ambitious with story elements), so I think if you're not really bothered with that stuff when you're playing games (and fair enough, it's a highly individual thing), you can surely mentally adjust to ignore/downplay any given review content that you know is not gonna be a problem for you personally.

  5. Post
    #5
    Would I be right in assuming this is a bit of a Far Cry clone?

  6. Post
    #6
    ErAd wrote:
    Would I be right in assuming this is a bit of a Far Cry clone?
    Well, what do you mean by far cry clone? To start with, the FC series does not allow for drop in co-op, you cant call in mortar strikes and distractions,and you can't set up vehicle ambushes. If your point of comparison is merely action, auto-heal and guns, you may as well call this a Halo-clone.
    Drives like an Asian till he gets behind the wheel of a holden

  7. Post
    #7
    CardinalNZ wrote:
    This is just the ol' "Games review as art criticism vs games review as product review" thing though again, isn't it? I think it's always going to be a bit of both (and cultural criticism in games coverage will probably only increase as games get more and more ambitious with story elements), so I think if you're not really bothered with that stuff when you're playing games (and fair enough, it's a highly individual thing), you can surely mentally adjust to ignore/downplay any given review content that you know is not gonna be a problem for you personally.
    Fair comment.

    Playing the beta is what sold me on the game. If i'd relied on reviews i'd have probably given it a miss, and I suspect that there will be a lot of gamers who do that.

  8. Post
    #8
    Frederick James wrote:
    Fair comment.

    Playing the beta is what sold me on the game. If i'd relied on reviews i'd have probably given it a miss, and I suspect that there will be a lot of gamers who do that.
    It would actually be interesting to know (but I suspect is somewhat difficult to calculate) how reviews affect sales in gaming. Maybe even more than they can for movies, if only due to the larger outlay required for purchase on the average game.

    Without any evidence whatsoever the feeling I get would be that in descending order of greatest effect the hierarchy would be gaming reviews, movie reviews (can sometimes have an effect and sometimes get ignored) and music reviews (my suspicion is that bad reviews are yet to stop anyone from buying an album they're interested in in the history of the world).

  9. Post
    #9
    Amoki wrote:
    Well, what do you mean by far cry clone? To start with, the FC series does not allow for drop in co-op, you cant call in mortar strikes and distractions,and you can't set up vehicle ambushes. If your point of comparison is merely action, auto-heal and guns, you may as well call this a Halo-clone.
    I get the same Far Cry vibe from playing Wildlands... the similarities are there...
    being a TPS (not a FPS) it's probably more comparable to gears of war than halo...

  10. Post
    #10
    Amoki wrote:
    Well, what do you mean by far cry clone? To start with, the FC series does not allow for drop in co-op, you cant call in mortar strikes and distractions,and you can't set up vehicle ambushes. If your point of comparison is merely action, auto-heal and guns, you may as well call this a Halo-clone.
    I've watched some gameplay vids and the mini-map etc all look very similar to Far Cry. Also looks as if there are outposts etc you take over like in Far Cry?

  11. Post
    #11
    All Ubisoft games seem at least somewhat similar to other Ubisoft games.