1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Surely they are now making it (and Portal 3, L4D3) into a VR game... please...

3. Post
    Bring back the Shepard.

4. Post
    wont happen until Newell steps down , then a new CEO will come in and decide to take Valve back to making games and then maybe we will see HL3 . Atm they are making hand over fist of money from STEAM and thus do not really care about making games. Last game they made was 2014? 2013? they moved away from game development

5. Post
    who cares now.

6. Post
    Exactly valve doesn't really make games anymore get over it and the move the **** on
    .. geez

7. Post
    They made The Lab last year (2016). It's a game that got the ball rolling for the Vive. Valve knows that a killer app like HL3 gets more people to buy the hardware and thus stay invested in the Steam ecosystem. Every company's goal is growth, even Valve

8. Post
    Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

9. Post
    gurthang667 wrote:
    They made The Lab last year (2016). It's a game that got the ball rolling for the Vive. Valve knows that a killer app like HL3 gets more people to buy the hardware and thus stay invested in the Steam ecosystem. Every company's goal is growth, even Valve
    Yep - although i suspect based on the content of that we'll see Portal 3 as a new VR game

10. Post
    The reason they won't make HL3, is it is a lose lose situation, it can't possibly live up to the hype after all this time, and as above, they make money hand over fist from Steam, so they have no incentive to make it and damage their brand in the process.

11. Post
    Wally Simmonds wrote:
    Yep - although i suspect based on the content of that we'll see Portal 3 as a new VR game
    That would be a surefire way to make people vomit

12. Post
    Valeo wrote:
    That would be a surefire way to make people vomit
    Portal Stories VR is already a thing, it's not Portal 3 but it's pretty good for a fan made project and proof that it can work in VR

13. Post
    What's so wrong with fans of the series wanting a third conclusive title to the series? Sure I get that Valve make the majority of their money from being an online software distribution service, but does in mean that Valve as a company would fall if they did make HL3? I wouldn't think so.

Even if Valve released a horrible rushed version of the game that nobody enjoyed I'm sure it wouldn't damage Valve as a company much at all.

Im saying its not going to damage them so what's the real reason they aren't working on Half-Life 3?

14. Post
    TodashXIX: There is likely a lot of crossed wires and conflict about the story, where to take it, how to get there, what to focus on, how it all ends, the type of game it should be, etc.

It's a creative project that has, at different times, been handled by different people through the years. It's a massive undertaking, even if you ignore the coding side of things.

And people, particularly creative people, would rather not release something that isn't going to be appreciated. They would rather hold a thing back than have it mocked or anything. So they wouldn't want to rush it, or put out a half-assed product simply to get fans off their back.

And they aren't the first company to do so either. Blizzard canned Ghost, etc. When developers get big enough that they don't have to penny-pinch just to survive, they feel safe enough to produce quality over quantity. And if something doesn't meet their quality standard, then it doesn't get released.

Or it could be as simple as they are still stewing over it, hoping that they will have a brainstorm and it will all just fall in place, at the right time.

15. Post
    Nerin wrote:
    TodashXIX: There is likely a lot of crossed wires and conflict about the story, where to take it, how to get there, what to focus on, how it all ends, the type of game it should be, etc.

It's a creative project that has, at different times, been handled by different people through the years. It's a massive undertaking, even if you ignore the coding side of things.

And people, particularly creative people, would rather not release something that isn't going to be appreciated. They would rather hold a thing back than have it mocked or anything. So they wouldn't want to rush it, or put out a half-assed product simply to get fans off their back.

And they aren't the first company to do so either. Blizzard canned Ghost, etc. When developers get big enough that they don't have to penny-pinch just to survive, they feel safe enough to produce quality over quantity. And if something doesn't meet their quality standard, then it doesn't get released.

Or it could be as simple as they are still stewing over it, hoping that they will have a brainstorm and it will all just fall in place, at the right time.
    Some fair points there.
    Some things to take into consideration though are, we're talking about Valve here. A company that surely has the resources to pull a project like this together.
    The fact that the lore and story surrounding Half-Life is not exactly mind bogglingly complicated, I understand that sculpting a game from the source material can be difficult but certainly not impossible.

I think your comparison to Starcraft Ghosts is not really fair though as that game was going in a completely different direction that the original games (RTS to 3rd person stealth/shooter) which would have been a big leap and a big gamble. It was also being developed as a title for consoles which would be attempting to appeal to a new crowd of players.

I do agree with your final comment about them stewing over it. The third and final game in the franchise has a lot of potential to be a great game, as long as they keep the core value gameplay intact and not try to over complicate things. Remember Half-Life does not have a super complex plot, its relatively simple.

Their are also a very small number of people in the community that actually hound Valve over Half-Life 3 and are vocal about their disapproval and disappointment. The majority of fans do not even openly voice their concerns about the game at all, I think most people just want to be shown some hope that Valve has not walked out on the series that made them so great to begin with.

16. Post
    i am pretty sure only the PC crowd really care about HL3, the vast majority of console and the majority type gamers nowadays do not even know what the big deal is and do not really care. the next COD or MW etc is a bigger deal to them than HL

17. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    i am pretty sure only the PC crowd really care about HL3, the vast majority of console and the majority type gamers nowadays do not even know what the big deal is and do not really care. the next COD or MW etc is a bigger deal to them than HL
    They can make it a big deal. As we've seen in the past hype is a relatively easy thing to get going in the gaming industry. All it takes is a small flame to start.
    They could even release a definitive edition featuring all Half-Life content on one disc or downloadable from online store.
    The key to selling something is making people believe they need to buy it, there doesn't need to be much or any incentive there before that.

18. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    The same could be said for Halo, just switched around. When Halo started FPS were oh so much bigger on PC than Console.

Not to mention that this whole "PC crowd" and "Console crowd" is a complete fiction. Most gamers have a number of different gaming devices, be it PC, Xbox, PS, Wii, Gameboy, DS, etc.

There are plenty in your, apparently, bigger "console crowd" that play PC games too. Many console players likely played Half-Life on their monster rigs at 333 MHz while they considered the pros and cons of getting a Palm and collectively mocked Apple geeks/nerds for their lack of games. These same people likely swapped their Sega or Nintendo cartridges at school (or the Sega CDs if they were the odd ducks that got the addon).

Is there anyone who is actually a gamer on a single platform anymore?