1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Cheers bro, solid review. Seems on par with others I've read. I'm still keen to grab it, might wait for a small price drop.

3. Post
    Hate to be that guy, but ante-climatic or anti-climatic? I'm up to the last tier of the story mode, and the combat rocks when you have the equipment for it. For example, the King of Skulls is a cake-walk when you happen to have the sword Undead Bane.

Sometimes the stages are ridiculously small, e.g., you and 12 ratmen on a small boat is crazy.

On the repetition part, I've found that this game is best played for short sessions.

This is a bit wrong though:

Every level starts the same: you select your deck, and if you so desire you can also select The Dealer’s base deck as well.
    You build two decks, your equipment deck and your encounter deck. The Dealer then adds his encounter cards to your encounter deck.

There's also an Endless mode which didn't get mentioned? Or blessings, curses, or the food mechanism which heals you with every move or, when you don't have any food, hurts you with every move - this can add a bit of tense decision making at times - e.g., the Charity encounter cards, if you donate heaps of food to the priest, then you get 1 - 2 blessings, but then you lose -10 health for every move without food after that.

But if you obtain a blessing like Self Righteous from doing so (it gives you +2 damage in combat per blessing you hold), then it can be a dramatic game-changer.

Anyway, I'll stop nit-picking, but there's a (IM(H/A)O) few gameplay dynamics noticeable by their absence, especially when you mention that the lack of direct counters is "it feels like a missed opportunity to add another strategic element to the metagame."

A (non-game mechanics) aspect I've enjoyed is how as you earn tokens from encounters, a small story unfolds from those encounters - e.g., The Lovers card, where you help two star-crossed lovers sneak out of town leads to the Angry Guildmaster, wherein you run into the father of one of the aforementioned lovers which leads to the Lonely Bard, because it turns out that Juliet was a bit of a ho.

I quite like how the encounter cards interact with your character as well - Stranger in the Shadows is a vampire who offers you gold for blood/health, but if you happen to blessed with Holy Touch, then it renders him vulnerable and you can attack him for the gold instead. Or the Demon Trader who will trade you your blessings for a piece of equipment, but if you come across him without a blessing, then you get to draw Pain cards.
    Last edited by Edward Diego; 3rd March 2015 at 4:21 pm.

4. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Hate to be that guy, but ante-climatic or anti-climatic?
    You leave my card pun alone, he didn't hurt no-one.

Edward Diego wrote:
    I'm up to the last tier of the story mode, and the combat rocks when you have the equipment for it. For example, the King of Skulls is a cake-walk when you happen to have the sword Undead Bane.
    Its not about difficultly its about the core mechanics. Its not punchy enough, and it never feels like there's any real weight to anything. For the first half I was ok with it, but in the final stretches it just irritated me. If you're going to use combat as a tentpole for a game it needs to be solid, its just not up to snuff here. Its close, but misses and by the end that miss really hurt the end game.

Still, The Dealer is my bro!

5. Post
    pyrocore wrote:
    You leave my card pun alone, he didn't hurt no-one.
    Ohhhh... disregard, I'm dumb.

pyrocore wrote:
    Its not about difficultly its about the core mechanics. Its not punchy enough, and it never feels like there's any real weight to anything. For the first half I was ok with it, but in the final stretches it just irritated me. If you're going to use combat as a tentpole for a game it needs to be solid, its just not up to snuff here. Its close, but misses and by the end that miss really hurt the end game.

Still, The Dealer is my bro!
    Yeah, fair enough. I find the combat tends to devolve into "get the combo, block the fireball, get the combo, block the fireball, counter the guy" and it ends up reminding me of a clunkier Kingdoms of Amalur. That said, the difficulty the combat can add gives this game that cruel merciless feel that Rogue-likes need to have. Being completely pasted by a Queen of Plague / King of Dust combo within three cards of starting is what the masochist enjoys in these games.

And yeah, The Dealer is what gives this game its character, IMO.

6. Post
    I hear ya with the nit picking, but going into the minutia would bloat the review, besides part of the appeal is discovering new cards, and new game elements.
    To give you an overview of how I work my draft review is usually well over 3000 words. The submitted version is usually 800-1000. I need to cut a great deal of content to keep the review within reasonable bounds while keeping all the important bits, and hopefully not missing anything out.

7. Post
    pyrocore wrote:
    I hear ya with the nit picking, but going into the minutia would bloat the review, besides part of the appeal is discovering new cards, and new game elements.
    To give you an overview of how I work my draft review is usually well over 3000 words. The submitted version is usually 800-1000. I need to cut a great deal of content to keep the review within reasonable bounds while keeping all the important bits, and hopefully not missing anything out.
    Ah yep, fair enough mate. Nit-picking done.

8. Post
    Nice review. I'm enjoying it a lot which is good because I pledged during the kickstarter but I agree the combat could do with more impact.
    I'm hoping Defiant expands on the concept in the future. It's a fun game and well worth the asking price.

9. Post
    This game intrigues me....

10. Post
    MockStar wrote:
    This game intrigues me....
    It is worthy of intrigue, and for the asking price most likely worth having a look at.

11. Post
    Although this game is definitely good I found the combat a bit sub par, I think that although the the combat is based on that of games that have done well in the past(Batman Games) this indie took on a heft challenge to implement it into their game, its great and all I just think it would have been better as a turn based battle like Space Hulk.

12. Post
    PsychoEliteNZ wrote:
    Although this game is definitely good I found the combat a bit sub par, I think that although the the combat is based on that of games that have done well in the past(Batman Games) this indie took on a heft challenge to implement it into their game, its great and all I just think it would have been better as a turn based battle like Space Hulk.
    I think they might have considered that. The problem is that if it's turn-based, some fights can become literally impossible due to bad gear or poor RNG.

On the other hand, as it is, even if your character has only a Rusty Axe and is cursed down to 1 max HP, it's still not impossible to defeat 6 Lava Golems that would one-shot you with a sneeze. I find the fact that you can triumph fate (through great difficulties) despite the worst possible luck is both a potent and symbolic feature of the game.

If they make a sequel, I hope they will stick to the same combat system, but shell out more of their well-earned dollars on the combat animations and whatnot.

13. Post
    Although the game is worth a solid 20+ hours of fun, I do agree that this game surprisingly lacks replayablility once you've unlocked all the cards.

Right now my character is on floor 40 of Endless Mode. I have so many good gear and blessings, that my max HP is constantly above 1000 and ever increasing via rings (despite getting -50% max health once in awhile), earning over 50 gold per move doing nothing, and hundreds of food from selling useless gear and eating lizards. The enemies have stopped getting harder, and thanks to my gear even fights with King + Queen of Scales end within 1-2 mins (I think I can hit for over 400 damage per attack, due to blessings/rings and multiple ways of doubling my damage).

Essentially, the game has ended for me in Endless mode, as there is no longer anyway to challenge myself.